+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I hope they're planning to do the whole series.
    I did read that they were planning on doing the whole trilogy.

Hoping to go see this sometime over the long weekend...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I watched the Swedish version streamed on my computer from Netflix this morning. Then I read a review that mentioned they had made all 3 books into movies so I just finished the other two. Wow. I love instant gratification. Ended on a sad note, though.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to double-post... I just watched the Swedish version on Netflix with subtitles. Completely different take. Both movies helped me make different connections that I hadn't before. I prefer the new Salander, but that just may be my American addiction to Hollywood imagery. Speaking of imagery... if anyone can make ANY kind of sense out of the opening graphics in the new movie, I'm all ears. That was the most disturbing part of the movie for me.
    I have read all the books and watched all of the Swedish movies. I went to see this one yesterday and I am delighted to say that I thought it was superior to the Swedish version! In fact, it actually did fix the problems I had with the Swedish version. While the actors in the Swedish version were all very good, I did not like the way Lisbeth was portrayed. She was too quick to smile, IMO. I also thought they glossed over Erika and I think she is important to understanding Mikael. I also thought they didn't handle the ending well. The betrayal Lisbeth feels at the end of the first movie is essential to understanding her attitude to Mikael as the story progresses further.

Noomi Rapace played Lisbeth EXACTLY how I thought she should be protrayed! She was fantastic!! In fact, all the acting was excellent as was the movie as a whole. It was definitely hard to watch in places, but that was to be expected. In the final scene with Martin in the basement I thought the music in the background gave a fantastically creepy juxtaposition with what was going on. I don't usually take note of the score in a film, but this one was truly brilliant. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross really deserve all of the attention they have been getting for this.

As for the opening montage... I was thinking the same thing as I watched it. It was beautiful and disturbing all at the same time!
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I just saw the trailer today. I've only read the first book, but the movie sure looks to be close to the book in plot, characterizations, and locales.
    It was excellent! we really enjoyed it.Rooney Mara deserves an award, her performance was outstanding
    AZChristian likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I started reading the book on a plane in late October. I thought I'd have time to finish before seeing the movie, thinking I'd stopped about 2/3 the way through. I had plans to see it this morning at 11:50 a.m. (with 9 a.m. breakfast plans to boot, with viewing companions), and when I picked up the book last night at 8:45 to finish it, I realized I had more than 400 pages to go. Cue me getting subliminal influences from the book (no spoiler to say that on about every second page someone is drinking coffee and/or eating disgusting sounding sandwiches), putting on the rare pot I brew (it was probably the second time I've had coffee on the maker in the year) and staying up until after 3 to finish, and as a result of my stupidly strong coffee, not really sleeping at all. But I made it to breakfast and got to see the movie.

When I finished the book early in the morning, I had some issues about it (will discuss in spoilers below) but I was happy to find that most of those issues had been taken care of with the movie script. Granted, the accents were uneven (but when are they not?), but the cast did an excellent job and the story made a bit more sense than the book. Rooney Mara was superb. Daniel Craig was not how I pictured Blomkvist, but made much better sense as Blomkvist than the guy who got conjured up in my head as I read it, even knowing full well Craig was cast as Bloomkvist.

Spoilers for people who haven't read the book,discussion for those who have:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I really thought the start of the book with the back-story about Blomkvist on the boat with his friend about Wennerstrom was cut; it was long and kind of dull. I was THRILLED they cut out the whole Cecilia/Blomkvist affair. It made him out to be almost a Larry Stu with his ability to bed women with no rhyme or reason (which, in the movie, would have been a bit mitigated by the character being played by Craig, who is more attractive than what I envisioned). I really liked the active "showing" and not just "telling" of how Lisbeth did the investigation into the old murders. The truncation of the end of the Harriette story didn't bother me, nor did leaving out the month of Lisbeth & Blomkvist at his cabin writing up the Wennerstrom story, because the last 100 pages of the book were fairly small on action. For that, I wish Larsson had been alive & willing to get into his editor's office. And as an aside, I liked that they stuck with the Macs that were so, so overly described in the book and that the characters really did eat freaky open-faced sandwiches and coffee all the damn time. After I pointed that out to my viewing companions at breakfast, we laughed every time it was on screen.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

I just had to laugh about your coffee escapades, PhoneGrrrl. Especially since coffee is being drunk non-stop in the book. I applaud your desire to finish the book before seeing the movie, whatever the cost. I watched all three Swedish movies after seeing the new one in theaters and now I want to see the new one again. This is after having read all three when they first came out and listening to the first one on audio book last month. I'm kind of glad he never got to all ten books he had planned. I don't know if he could have sustained it that long and I hate series that go dull when there are too many books.
    Count your blessings!

I just had to laugh about your coffee escapades, PhoneGrrrl. Especially since coffee is being drunk non-stop in the book. I applaud your desire to finish the book before seeing the movie, whatever the cost. I watched all three Swedish movies after seeing the new one in theaters and now I want to see the new one again. This is after having read all three when they first came out and listening to the first one on audio book last month. I'm kind of glad he never got to all ten books he had planned. I don't know if he could have sustained it that long and I hate series that go dull when there are too many books.
    Wow, I had no idea he planned to have 10 books in this series. I thought the third one wrapped up so nicely I didn't expect any more! I suppose that could be some good editing on the part of the editors/publishers since they knew no more could be written.

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series: An unpublished sequel? - The Week

I couldn't find it, but somewhere, a long time ago, I read the outlines for all 10 intended books. He has written 3/4 of the 5th book (skipping the 4th book), but there is a huge legal fight over the rights to it. His will, giving everything to his companion of 30 years, was found illegal because he didn't have witnesses. He never married her because he wanted to protect her from the people he was researching to write the books.
    Count your blessings!

I knew nothing about this film before seeing it today... With that said, I have already ordered all the books and cannot wait to read them. Very disturbing in some parts but a thrilling story that did not slow down. Rooney Mara was phenomenal. Would watch this again because I am sure I missed some parts.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    I knew nothing about this film before seeing it today... With that said, I have already ordered all the books and cannot wait to read them. Very disturbing in some parts but a thrilling story that did not slow down. Rooney Mara was phenomenal. Would watch this again because I am sure I missed some parts.
    You will enjoy the books, and yes RM was phenomenal.She owned this movie imsho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast