+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MoneyBall

MoneyBall

Moneyball (2011) - IMDb

The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.
    I am not a baseball fan and I am not a Brad Pitt fan, I went to the movie solely based on my opinion of the trailers I have seen. It looked like an interesting story. I liked it. I went on Friday, the opening day at 3:50pm and I was in a smaller 300 seat theatre and it was half full will an older crowd. That says something to me about the interest people have in the film and the subject. I enjoyed it, especially the interaction between Billy Beane and Peter Brand. What did surprise me is how fleeting a career is in baseball and how often and brutally the players are traded. I did like the underlying story thread of Billy Beane's career and how he was picked by scout's and what a unfulfilled career he had and how different his life would have been had he gone to Sanford instead of playing professional baseball right out of high school.

Overall a good movie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: MoneyBall

We are a household of baseball fans. We've all read the book and are looking forward to seeing the movie. Brad Pitt is not the draw for me; I've loved him in some of his films and disliked him in others, but the history of baseball always gets our attention and we find the concept of sabermetrics fascinating.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: MoneyBall

The A's moved to Oakland in 1967 and I'm still trying to place Billy Beane. I was a huge A's fan during the Tony LaRussa era. Guess I need to do some research, huh and duh!

Okay - now I sort of remember when he entered the organization. He took over for Sandy Alderson and is still GM and part owner. Way past my time...as I left the Bay Area in 1994 and lost touch with everything A's at that point.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-28-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread