+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conan The Barbarian 2011

Conan The Barbarian 2011

Not that bad. Better then the normal Saturday night SciFi Channel movie. Jason Momoa played Conan and did a credible job. He can act and had a better range then he did when he was on Stargate Atlantis. As Drago in HBO's Game of Thrones he only ever said '"no". I liked the main female lead who played Tamara. Her character actually could fight. Although I don't think there was that much chemistry between the two leads. Rose McGowan did an excellent job as the witch daughter of the main bad guy. I think playing the bad guy gives you more leeway to act wacky and weird. I would not see this film 3D as there are only three scenes that lend themselves to that wow factor and that would be the sword raising in the beginning and end of the film and the dweller in the deep scene. Luv'd the sandman creature fight scenes. The effect was really good.

While the film was shot in Bulgaria to take advantage of being near the Black Sea I don't think the director took full advantage of the areas scenery. Most of the action takes place in various cities, dungeons, thieves dens and caves. They all look the same after a while. I did not like the background paintings or is it CGI now. All the set designs looked the same or fake. What really was laughable was the ship. I have noticed in many of the Pirates of the Caribbean films and in Conan that a shop is under full but there is no wind in the sails. Its a bit of a standing joke in the film, at least I laughed every time I saw it.

There is a lot more background showing Conan as a child in the Cimmerian village but really the village had no walls or ditches surrounding it negating any basic defensive strategy and during one of the early battle scenes the bad guys were showering their own men with arrows as they fought the villagers. Is that stupid or what?

My main beef with the film is the music. The thing I remember best about the original Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer is the film score by Basil Pouledoris’. The soundtrack is incredible and really pulls the film together for a memorable event as well as the epic sets.

If you know what to expect it's not that bad of a film for a rainy afternoon and with Hurricane Irene up the coast this weekend would be a perfect opportunity for a viewing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Conan The Barbarian 2011

I had not really given this movie a thought and wasn't paying much attention to the trailers. One evening as I skipped over a trailer on the DVR I commented to my son, "Now if Khal Drogo played Conan, THEN I might actually watch this movie". Then I found out a couple of days later that Khal Drogo (Jason Moma) does, indeed, play Conan. I honestly had no clue, he looks different without the beard and heavy eye makeup!

I will likely wait for DVD, but I will watch it if only for the eye candy!

Re: Conan The Barbarian 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I had not really given this movie a thought and wasn't paying much attention to the trailers. One evening as I skipped over a trailer on the DVR I commented to my son, "Now if Khal Drogo played Conan, THEN I might actually watch this movie". Then I found out a couple of days later that Khal Drogo (Jason Moma) does, indeed, play Conan. I honestly had no clue, he looks different without the beard and heavy eye makeup!

I will likely wait for DVD, but I will watch it if only for the eye candy!
    There was one great butt scene.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread