+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Help

The Help

I cannot wait to see this movie! The book was outstanding, and the trailer looks wonderful as well!! IMDB says the theatrical release date is August 10th, less than 3 weeks away. Is anyone else looking forward to it?

Trailer:

‪'The Help' Trailer HD‬‏ - YouTube

Synopsis from IMDB:
    Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, Skeeter (Emma Stone) is a southern society girl who returns from college determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families. Aibileen (Viola Davis), Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper, is the first to open up -- to the dismay of her friends in the tight-knit black community. Despite Skeeter's life-long friendships hanging in the balance, she and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward to tell their stories -- and as it turns out, they have a lot to say. Along the way, unlikely friendships are forged and a new sisterhood emerges, but not before everyone in town has a thing or two to say themselves when they become unwittingly -- and unwillingly -- caught up in the changing times.

Re: The Help

I'm with you! I absolutely adored the book and have been looking forward to this movie for months! Very rarely is the movie ever as good as the book, but I've heard such good things about this one I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. Not to mention the cast looks absolutely stellar. Viola Davis is wonderful, and the actress they cast as Minnie seems just as I imagined the character. Other than HP, this is the sumer movie I've been most anticipating
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

My book club read this book in March and we are all looking forward to it. We were talking about making a thing out of all of us going together. Hopefully it lives up to the book which everyone in the book club liked.

My bookclub went to see it last night. Outstanding movie, imo. Pretty true to the book, also. All the characters were dead on and I loved the costumes and the re-creation of the era. I actually liked this movie as well as the book!

FORT Fanatic

On my way in an hour to see, can't wait, and glad the movie was as good as the book!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Fogey

I went to see it last night! It amazed me how true they kept to the descriptions in the book. Every actor came across exactly as I imagined them in the book, and with all the houses and other locations, when they would show a place, I knew right away where it was. In some of the homes, I kept on thinking "that's just how I thought it was", like vacuuming the bear in one of the houses. I loved that they didn't recreate the book for Hollywood, but instead lifted the book off the pages into the movie. I was slightly dissapointed in the ending, because I thought that's what made the book one of the best instead of just great. But all in all, I was very pleased.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've not read the book (it's on my list), but had heard good things about the movie from those who had already seen it. They were right. It was very well done. You came to care for the characters (at least those who deserved it - black and white).

There aren't as many black people in Arizona as where I was born and raised (Baltimore). I think there was a higher representation of black people in the theater this morning than I've seen in one place in a long time. One lady sitting next to me had read the book, and I was able to ask her after the movie if the film did the book justice - and she said that it definitely had.

I only had one question, which I'll put in spoiler tags.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Early in the movie, Aibilene talked about the first little white boy she'd raised, and she even said his name. I was expecting him to turn up later in the movie - if not sooner, after the book had been published and everyone started recognizing The Help and those for whom they worked. Is there any further mention of him in the book? Not a big deal - just wondering.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I went to see it last night! It amazed me how true they kept to the descriptions in the book. Every actor came across exactly as I imagined them in the book, and with all the houses and other locations, when they would show a place, I knew right away where it was. In some of the homes, I kept on thinking "that's just how I thought it was", like vacuuming the bear in one of the houses. I loved that they didn't recreate the book for Hollywood, but instead lifted the book off the pages into the movie. I was slightly dissapointed in the ending, because I thought that's what made the book one of the best instead of just great. But all in all, I was very pleased.
    How was the movie ending different than the book ending. Can you put in spoilers or pm me?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    How was the movie ending different than the book ending. Can you put in spoilers or pm me?
    Spoilers would be good - then I could see it, too!

AZC - quick answer to your question: no - and hurry up to read the book, you'll love it ! I just saw this today, and it was wonderful! So often I'm disappointed in the movie after I've read the book, but this didn't disappoint at all. The best way to describe it (IMHO) is this: I loved both the book and the movie. The book is better, but the movie loses absolutely nothing in translation. I literally laughed, cried and cheered (along with everyone else in the packed theater). I agree with Nana and Acooker in that the characters were perfect, and just as I imagined them to be. The movie stayed true to the book for the most part and the only reason I say the book is better is because there was more book than movie. I mean, obviously they couldn't put in every detail and flesh out every character like in the novel. But if you've read the book, you definitely don't have to fear that the movie will let you down. This is one I will be buying for the DVD collection once it becomes available.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast