+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Help

Re: The Help

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Found this link in a Facebook discussion related to this movie and I was just wondering what people here think:
    Open Statement - The Help
    A snippet from the article:

My personal opinion is that , while I understand their point, I also disagree. Their complaints seem to stem from things that are absent from the story: strong/positive depictions of African American males, the fact that some women were sexually assaulted by their employers, the vibrant history of the civil rights movement. These are all important topics, but they are not the point of this book. This book is a small window into the friendships between women, the bonds between the children and the women who raised them, and how the perspectives of these children develop over time - some of them grew up to be part of a system repressing the black women who work in their homes but a minority of them may see the problems with this environment and want to help change it.
    This article at one point says "The film, on the other hand, makes light of black women’s fears and vulnerabilities turning them into moments of comic relief." I have to assume they are talking about the part where Minnie runs into Cecilia's husband. I wonder if part of the problem is that he is probably the most prominent male included in the movie and he happens to be a nice white man, while the black male character we hear the most about is Minnie's abusive drunk husband. We are all quite aware that there were many racist white men in the south at this time, but none are featured in the film because the focus in this film is on the women - women are the villains in this film and women are also the heroes. The men are just side-notes.

As for the dialect issues, I am not from the south and I was not alive when this film took place so I have NO idea how accurately/inaccurately the speech was portrayed.
    I read the statement you referred to in your post. I really wish some groups would get over themselves. I do not think the movie or the author of the book tried in anyway to make light of the situation of African American women. I think movies like the Help inspire people to actually go and learn about the era and find out what really happened beyond the scope of the book. This is an opportunity to embrace civil rights in this country not slam a movie because it didn't portray everything you wished it would.
    Katydyd, tapper01 and AZChristian like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Found this link in a Facebook discussion related to this movie and I was just wondering what people here think:
    Open Statement - The Help

A snippet from the article:

My personal opinion is that , while I understand their point, I also disagree. Their complaints seem to stem from things that are absent from the story: strong/positive depictions of African American males, the fact that some women were sexually assaulted by their employers, the vibrant history of the civil rights movement. These are all important topics, but they are not the point of this book. This book is a small window into the friendships between women, the bonds between the children and the women who raised them, and how the perspectives of these children develop over time - some of them grew up to be part of a system repressing the black women who work in their homes but a minority of them may see the problems with this environment and want to help change it.

This article at one point says "The film, on the other hand, makes light of black women’s fears and vulnerabilities turning them into moments of comic relief." I have to assume they are talking about the part where Minnie runs into Cecilia's husband. I wonder if part of the problem is that he is probably the most prominent male included in the movie and he happens to be a nice white man, while the black male character we hear the most about is Minnie's abusive drunk husband. We are all quite aware that there were many racist white men in the south at this time, but none are featured in the film because the focus in this film is on the women - women are the villains in this film and women are also the heroes. The men are just side-notes.
    I’ve never read the novel and haven’t seen the movie yet, but I think you’re probably dead on in your analysis of that criticism, CRTW. From what I know of the plot, I think it’s similar to many historically-based novels in that it pulls a slice of history and then examines it through a certain paradigm. And the plot of The Help seems to center around two oppressed groups, and the particular tension that stems from one group -- the Caucasian women at the time – being both perpetrators and victims of varied levels of discrimination.

Embracing any kind of patriarchal bigotry is fraught with moral dilemmas, especially for women, and it’s why that very dynamic is a really fertile ground from which to stage a tale of redemption and hope. And that empowering message honestly has real historical validity since it’s no accident that the feminist movement followed the civil rights movement. The ties of sisterhood that were forged between the women who worked together in homes in those years truly helped to break the patriarchal bondage of racial segregation and then that hope rose and converged into a secondary movement. So, if I get the gist of the novel, I think that’s why women are the focus and strongly agree that that perspective has genuine historical validity as it stands – even without taking a wider contextual view which might easily dilute what seems to be the main narrative message of the novel and film.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I saw it at 11:45 on a Tuesday morning and it was difficult to find 3 seats together. Mostly older ladies, but there were a few hubbies along for the show. The group surrounding me had definitely read the book and they all started laughing when Minnie gets off the bus with the pie!
    tapper01 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I saw this movie today. Thought it was wonderfully done. Haven't read the book, but surely will do so now. Highly recommended piece of American history.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I saw the movie last weekend, then bought and read the book, and saw the movie again today. It was even BETTER the second time.
    Katydyd likes this.

I really love it when a movie and a book resonate this much with people.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I finally got to see this tonight. I watched it with the hubby and frankly, he hasn't really liked a movie in a long while. I think the last one he said was really good was Toy Story 3 when we took the little guy to see it. But he watched it, said he really liked it and didn't even poke fun at me when I cried, which he usually does. And really, I broke down when Skeeters mother was finally telling her the truth about Constantine. I was crying buckets. It just broke my heart...especially when she was standing there with her hands on the door, looking in. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about that scene. Wow.

I have the book but haven't read it yet. I'm going to move it up my list, for sure. This film brought out so many emotions....joy, amusement, sadness, heartbreak, hope, despair, anger......From Emma Stone to Sissy Spacek...the cast was terrific.

I really liked Minnie and the young bride she ended up working for..Cecelia? And the whole chocolate pie thing...my husband was cracking up.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I been wanting to see the movie but just bought the book. I plan to begin reading it tonight. Maybe I can go see the movie this weekend somehow.....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I have the book but haven't read it yet. I'm going to move it up my list, for sure. This film brought out so many emotions....joy, amusement, sadness, heartbreak, hope, despair, anger......From Emma Stone to Sissy Spacek...the cast was terrific.

I really liked Minnie and the young bride she ended up working for..Cecelia? And the whole chocolate pie thing...my husband was cracking up.
    Java you will love the book, it's wonderful...you should move it to the top of your list!! The story with Minnie and Celia was one of my favorite parts....and it's definitely more fleshed out in the book The movie was excellent and stayed true to the book for the most part, but like with any book to movie transition, it's impossible to get everything in there.
    AZChristian and JavaJo like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Saw it today and loved it. That Minnie to me, made the movie. What spunk!!!! Simply a wonderful movie and the whole cast was superb. When they did the close up of Skeeters face when her mother told her the maid died, ahhhhhh broke my heart. Will be buying this on DVD.
    AZChristian likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast