+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Help

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: The Help

Okay - I went online to our library and put myself in the list of those who want to read "The Help." I'm number 375. Looks like it may be a while. I'll probably lose the 9 pounds I'm committed to losing before I buy a Kindle, buy the Kindle, and just read it that way. LOL.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Update - they had a paperback version of "The Help" at Sam's. Guess I can cancel my hold request from the library. Thanks for the recommendations.

I saw it over the weekend and I agree that it was an excellent film. All of the characters were so well cast, they were dead on!! Kudos to the actresses who took on these roles!!!! I'm going to have to go back and read the ending of the book now to remind myself what happened, because I couldn't remember while I was watching the movie...
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I saw it over the weekend and I agree that it was an excellent film. All of the characters were so well cast, they were dead on!! Kudos to the actresses who took on these roles!!!! I'm going to have to go back and read the ending of the book now to remind myself what happened, because I couldn't remember while I was watching the movie...
    I'm going to try to use that spoiler thing to say the differences between the book and the movie. I hope it works!

Click to see Spoiler:
    The big changes were in the ending. Skeeter's end was the same in both - she lost the boyfriend but got a job in New York. But in the book, the break up with the boyfriend is more traumatic. In the book, Minnie's husband kicks her out because of her participation with the book. In the movie, she got the courage to leave him. And in the book, Abilene loses her job like she did in the movie. But Skeeter confesses to her editor that Abilene has been writing the Miss Myrna column all along, and she gets hired to take over the column when Skeeter moves to New York. So in the book, each woman has life as she knows it destroyed, but then rebuilt better than it was before. In the movie, they all get to the same end game (except we know Abilene is going to write - we're not told what she's writing) but don't go through the same destruction of life before they get there.

CCL

Thanks. I think I prefer the book ending, not that it varies that much, but for the detail.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Click to see Spoiler:
    So, it looks like Hollywood still needs to add in that Hollywood ending, doesn't it?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I'm going to try to use that spoiler thing to say the differences between the book and the movie. I hope it works!
    Thanks Acooker!! I was not looking forward to digging the book out of my closet, and now I don't have to!
    I especially wish they had brought the part about Abilene into the movie!!

I agree with the part about Aibelene,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I wish they would have shown that she took over the column also
    ....and I think Skeeter's situation was simply a matter of what they had time for. They couldn't flesh out everything and unforunately her relationship with Stuart got somewhat short shrift. I would have liked to see more of that story as well as Celia and her husband, but I don't think it necessarily detracted from the movie.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    As for Minnie I didn't remember that she wasn't the one to leave. I know there was another incident where Leon beat her, and I thought after that she finally, with Aibelene's help, got the courage to leave. Because wasn't she afraid for her children or something?
    Then again, I could be completely imagining that ending
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I finished reading the book a week before I saw the movie. They are both wonderful! The only part of the movie I felt to be a little unsettling was their treatment of Constantine's story, especially as regards her daughter. Constantine's relationship with Skeeter was a poignant and driving element. The movie just didn't do it justice, imo.

But, I really want to see it again! The casting was absolutely stunningly well done. Viola Davis (who plays Aibilene) is amazing. I was so impressed with how much she can communicate non-verbally, just with the expression on her face! And Octavia Spencer as Minnie totally owns that character. Loved her!
    Katydyd likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We went to see this last night and I echo what's been said here. The movie was so well done and did not disappoint according to the book. I understood why they made any changes they did and that since the movie was already so long they just couldn't put in everything. I thought all the actors did a great job portraying the characters. I thought all of them except Constantine were exactly how I pictured them. Constantine's character was the single one that felt completely different than what I thought the book described.

My daughter had not read the book, so I explained a few things to her as we went along. She liked it, and thinks now she'd like to read the book. I told her I didn't think she'd be disappointed since the book just goes more in depth into the characters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast