+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Lantern

Green Lantern

First impression, not that bad. Liked the costume, the other Lanterns, the planet Oa and the ring. The set up was not bad. Liked that Hal, Carol and Hector all knew each other as kids. Liked the insecurities of Hal and Hector. Geoffrey Rush does a great job as the narrator and the Lantern Toma-Re. Didn't quiet wow like the first Iron Man movie. Thor was better. But it was not terrible. There is an extra scene after some of the credits setting up for a sequel.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fort Member

Re: Green Lantern

I actually thought it was a little better than Thor
    But thats not saying either movie was great, but it was enjoyable. I heard someone on the radio saying that they didnt expect this one to be Wow, but just to set up for the sequel which is the movie they intend to be Wow

I think the basic difference between Thor and Green Lantern is the directing. Kenneth Branagh has a much tighter rein on the look and feel of the film. I think the only thing lacking in Thor was the "love" story between Thor and Jane. Martin Campbell on the other hand needed to tighten up the editing and the emotional content of Green Lantern. Green Lantern needed more edginess more tension. If it had that it would have been a better film.

I really wanted to like it - I'm a fan of Ryan Reynolds - but I thought it was pretty bad. My friend who is a HUGE RR fan didn't even want to see it a second time and she watches his movies over and over.

I thought the story was weak and I thought Blake Lively was HORRIBLY mis-cast. The whole time I was watching, I kept thinking the movie would have been SO much better with Jennifer Garner in that role. BL and RR are supposed to play characters who grew up together and she's @9 years younger? Lame. The special effects were good, but that was it. If the effects aren't supporting a great story, then it's just pyrotechnics.

I think every one of these comic-based movies is trying to be the next Iron Man (1, not 2), but they're all failing.

And I REALLY wanted to like the movie. Really.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, there is still Captain America.

That's true. I always hold out hope that the next one will be better!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread