+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Super 8

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Super 8

If you loved E.T., you'll probably love Super 8. Lots of similar scenes. My favorite part of the concept is that Spielberg (who co-produced) features kids who do kid-like stuff.

In addition, we got to see the Deathly Hallows 2 trailer. I cannot WAIT for that movie to come out!

On the other hand, we had to sit through the Twilight trailer - of which the only redeeming feature was Jacob shirtless.

Re: Super 8

Enjoyed the movie. Reminded me of older movies from the 80's. Kinda like the Goonies but more Sci-Fi.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I really liked Super 8, and figured it as a classic Spielburg film especially the Super 8 part as he said he loved to make films even as a kid and figured this movie harked back to his childhood. I really enjoyed the film up to the part where the kids were running around town trying to find the creature and then it became way too familiar and felt that I had been ripped off a bit by watching a remake of ET. Spielburg is too good of a director to remake one of his classic movies, this really did spoil the film for me. If I want to watch ET I will but don't try to trick me into watching it. While JJ Abrams is credited with writing and directing this film some of the scenes with Joe Lamb are so similiar in feel to ET that it feels as if Spielburg is directing and that this film is his "what if" ET had been captured by the government and tortured and abused by scientists. This movie is the Dark Side of how government acts. A bit of a finger toward Homeland Security and the Patriot Act perphaps?

Stay for the credits as the movie Charlie makes is shown.

Also, kudos to casting for the Alice part. That young actress was brilliant.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I really liked Super 8, and figured it as a classic Spielburg film especially the Super 8 part as he said he loved to make films even as a kid and figured this movie harked back to his childhood. I really enjoyed the film up to the part where the kids were running around town trying to find the creature and then it became way too familiar and felt that I had been ripped off a bit by watching a remake of ET. Spielburg is too good of a director to remake one of his classic movies, this really did spoil the film for me. If I want to watch ET I will but don't try to trick me into watching it. While JJ Abrams is credited with writing and directing this film some of the scenes with Joe Lamb are so similiar in feel to ET that it feels as if Spielburg is directing and that this film is his "what if" ET had been captured by the government and tortured and abused by scientists. This movie is the Dark Side of how government acts. A bit of a finger toward Homeland Security and the Patriot Act perphaps?

Stay for the credits as the movie Charlie makes is shown.

Also, kudos to casting for the Alice part. That young actress was brilliant.
    The actress that played Alice is Dakota Fanning's younger sister. I thought she did a wonderful job as well.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I really liked this movie; it got me to jump a few times and made me nostalgic for all those "kid" movies of the 80's like Goonies and ET. The best part was that in a sea of remakes, sequels, and superhero movies, it still managed to seem original and different (though the ET similarities right down to the cute little blonde girl were obvious).
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Fort Member

Really liked it showed there are still people with imaginations out there

Funny how many posters like this movie because it is not a remake or superhero movie but it is a remake of ET.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Funny how many posters like this movie because it is not a remake or superhero movie but it is a remake of ET.
    While I think it was similar, it wasn't a complete remake and it can stand on its own. I don't remember am awesome trainwreck nor a sweet little love story in ET. JMO.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    While I think it was similar, it wasn't a complete remake and it can stand on its own. I don't remember am awesome trainwreck nor a sweet little love story in ET. JMO.
    Same plot.

I'd say more ET for adults, this was definitely a PG 13 movie, quite suspensfull

+ Reply to Thread