+ Reply to Thread

Thread: X-Men: First Class

X-Men: First Class

This a "First Class" movie all the way. An A movie. Good beginning, good middle, good ending. Very 60's in feel (of course), almost James Bond in style. Kevin Bacon total surprise as Sebastian Shaw but it worked. Used actually news clips of President Kennedy's Cuba speech. Weirdest part is hearing Kennedy pronounce Cuba as "Cubar".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: X-Men: First Class

I actually bought a ticket for an afternoon showing of Thor today and went into the X-Men show by mistake, which was also starting at about the same time. Theater was almost empty, but the film was very enjoyable even to someone who is not that up on the X-Men mythology. A bit heavy on the Mutant and Proud theme maybe (any second there expecting a Mutant Pride Parade ), but still an excellent point for the teen audience.
    Anyway, for those who haven't seen the movie yet, a minor but annoying question.... Near the end during the Cuban missile crisis boat scenes, in the background of the American boat scenes, there's a young sailor in the background that I know I recognize from something and cannot for the life of me place him... He looks a bit like a cross between Justin Hartley (Green Arrow, Smallville) and Ian Somerhalder (Boone on LOST, currently a vampire), but I don't think he was either. He said nothing, which was weird unless he was left on the cutting room floor. Since he was a recognizable actor I was sure he would say something, but no.... So anyone know who I meant? Thanks!
    Also... for those who know the mythology....
    Click to see Spoiler:
    did the blue girl, teenager almost, have sex with "Eric"? First he turns her down as too young, then he kisses her.
    Thanks again.

Kao

After the last X-Men movie I'm on the fence about seeing this one. Is it a "must see now" or a "wait until it gets to the cheap theater?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    After the last X-Men movie I'm on the fence about seeing this one. Is it a "must see now" or a "wait until it gets to the cheap theater?"
    Depends on which Xmen movie was the last you saw? Wolverine or the third of the mainline Xmen stories. I don't think it matters. I think this movie is definitely worth seeing. But if you are worried about the cost of the ticket go to a matinée or get a ticket from Uno's or Costco.

Kao

Ticket prices can be outrageous here for first-run movies ($11 matinee; up to $18 a ticket if it's in 3-D--which often is the only version they will have available) so it's doubly upsetting if you go to a movie when it's first released that looks good in commercials but is horrible (like Tokyo Suckerpunch). This movie has been getting good reviews so I might see it this weekend. Thanks!

p.s. Costco sells movie tickets?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

At my local multiplex Tuesdays seniors get in even cheaper, at least in midday....$6 today! This was definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Ticket prices can be outrageous here for first-run movies ($11 matinee; up to $18 a ticket if it's in 3-D--which often is the only version they will have available) so it's doubly upsetting if you go to a movie when it's first released that looks good in commercials but is horrible (like Tokyo Suckerpunch). This movie has been getting good reviews so I might see it this weekend. Thanks!

p.s. Costco sells movie tickets?
    That's what some of my coworkers keep telling me. I don't go to Costco, though so I cannot verify that. The Pizzaria Uno's in the area have some kind of deal with some of the local theaters and I can purchase movie vouchers for about $7.00 when I eat there. Saves some money that way.

During summer some of the theaters also have a cheap Tuesday or Wednesday movie night were you only pay matinee prices. I take advantage of that just to avoid the crowds on the weekends.

Loved the movie! The hubby and I went into it thinking it wasn't going to be that great and we really enjoyed it! Also caught a matinee. Didn't know that all tix are only $5 before 12 noon.

+ Reply to Thread