+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thor

Thor

The first of the summer 2011 blockbusters:

Thor (2011) - IMDb

The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.
    Many critics have already viewed it and Rotten Tomatoes has given it a 95% rating from the critics.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Thor

In case anyone can't make it to the movie theaters this weekend, the SyFy Channel will be airing "The Mighty Thor" as their Saturday nite feature.

Much better than I thought. Great start to the summer. Avoids a lot of the cliche superhero moments. Marvel Studios and Director Kenneth Branagh did an excellent job. Saw it in 2D and it was great. Stay for the end of the credits, there will be a notice that Thor will appear in The Avengers and then the screen goes to black and then the extra scene is shown. Do you really need to see it? No. But it is fun and does set up the villain and plot for The Avengers.

bit of a spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    liked the Hawkeye character

Watch out for Stan Lee's cameo.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    bit of a spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    liked the Hawkeye character

Watch out for Stan Lee's cameo.
    I don't really know what he looks like---only saw him briefly in that one episode on The Big Bang Theory---can you give us a hint as to who he plays or what scene he appears in? In spoiler tags if you think it would give away too much.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I don't really know what he looks like---only saw him briefly in that one episode on The Big Bang Theory---can you give us a hint as to who he plays or what scene he appears in? In spoiler tags if you think it would give away too much.
    Click to see Spoiler:

During the party scene at the crater where people are trying to pull the hammer out of the pillar of stone, some one wraps a chain around it and attaches it to a pickup truck. Stan Lee is the driver of the pickup truck.

Just a bit of a side note as far as casting. While the Aesir (aka Asgaardians) where a race similar in appearance to the Vikings and other nordic people, Marvel Studios decided to be more politically correct with its casting. I personally don't always think it is a good idea especially when I heard that they cast Heimdall as an African American and Hogun as an asian. Surprisingly the actor cast as Heimdall does an excellent job. Alas I cannot same the same for Hogun. Hogun the Grim should be more like Genghis Khan not the Jackie Chan type he appears to be. Totally miscast.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Click to see Spoiler:

During the party scene at the crater where people are trying to pull the hammer out of the pillar of stone, some one wraps a chain around it and attaches it to a pickup truck. Stan Lee is the driver of the pickup truck.
    Thanks! I'll be alert for that scene and Stan!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw it today, and despite my skepticism, ended up liking it. Chris Hemsworth wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be from the trailers, Natalie Portman wasn't as flat as usual (she's a beautiful, smart woman, but I haven't enjoyed her performances since The Professional), Anthony Hopkins didn't chew too much scenery, and Idris Elba, Clark Gregg, Kat Dennings, Stellan Skarsgard, and most of all Tom Hiddleston did outstanding jobs in their roles (from limited to main). I will be back for The Avengers because Loki will be the big bad. (It's Whedon...ya gotta say "the big bad"!)

The one thing that bugged me is this--Thor & Jane develop this epic, unrequited "love" deal. After, what, 3 days? And little conversation? It wasn't like they were shown up all night exchanging hopes and dreams, or other romcom tropes. Basically, he's cut and she's pixie cute girl. I could not buy that relationship at all. He knows some inter-world stuff and she wants to figure it out. I could see an interest in talking to him more, but the whole "love" vibe just seemed all kinds of cheesy and pandering to the gal who went with her boyfriend because he developed an interest in Norse mythology in middle school because of the comic book.

Kao

Just a bit of a side note as far as casting. While the Aesir (aka Asgaardians) where a race similar in appearance to the Vikings and other nordic people, Marvel Studios decided to be more politically correct with its casting. I personally don't always think it is a good idea especially when I heard that they cast Heimdall as an African American and Hogun as an asian. Surprisingly the actor cast as Heimdall does an excellent job. Alas I cannot same the same for Hogun. Hogun the Grim should be more like Genghis Khan not the Jackie Chan type he appears to be. Totally miscast.
    Idris Elba is an excellent actor no matter what he's in so it doesn't surprise me that he was an excellent Heimdall. If Angelina Jolie can play Fox in Wanted and The Last Airbender and Akira can be whitewashed to heck and back then as far as I'm concerned Idris can be Heimdall. At least HE can actually act!

I've pretty much watched every movie that Asano Tadanobu has starred in and he actually played Genghis Khan in "Mongol" (and did an awesome job; I highly recommend watching it if you haven't already done so). If he played Hogun like a "Jackie Chan" type it's because that's what the director wanted, and IMO it's a waste of his talent because he is capable of doing so much more.

Unfortunately, it's also a major reason why the majority of the best Asian actors refuse to have anything to do with Hollywood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast