+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thor

Re: Thor

Saw it today and wished I had stayed till the end to see the extra scene. Oh well, completely forgot. Went with the fiance and had no interest in seeing this but I thought it was good. Have to agree with a poster above, didn't get the whole love story after three days, but still was entertained. Loved the actor who played Loki. Evil twit had me almost rooting for him.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Kao

Yay! Finally saw Thor last night.

The theater closest to my house were only showing this in 3-D (which is something I try to avoid since I already wear glasses and most movies are perfectly fine in plain ole 2-D and don't justify the extra expense) so I was already annoyed by the time I sat down and put the glasses over my glasses to watch and proceeded to get even more annoyed at the opening sequence (that featured a lot of over-acting "I! He-Man! Smash! Kill!" and angst from Thor, Jane Foster and their respective happy band of friends) that made me roll my eyes back so far I could probably spot Narnia.

Except the part where the Ice giants crash Odin's big shing-ding dinner party right in the middle of him praising Thor. That part was cool.

Fortunately, help arrives early in the form of Loki, Odin, Heimdall and Jane's droll little friend who made me laugh every time she opened her mouth. Anthony Hopkins is always incredible, and the actor who played Loki has this amazing quality that makes you want to watch him. Idris absolutely blew me away as Heimdall; I'd heard about his performance but hearing about it is one thing; actually seeing it puts it into a whole different level. Amazing. Sadly, I can't say the same for Hogun (in Asano's defense, he's normally a great actor but he learned English for this role and still had that stilted, hesitant speech that should be familiar to anyone who has attempted to learn a new language when you want to make sure you're pronouncing everything ~just right~) but he had the kickiest little ponytail EVER so I decided to pay attention to that instead whenever he was onscreen.

Thor and friends visit the realm of the Ice Giants and have a little chat with the Head Man in Charge there. Everything about this realm is creepy and perfect, and the voice actor did an amazing job because his voice just dripped with ice, evil and sin (and a hint of bourbon). Head Ice guy gets snarky, Thor gets mad and acts in a manner unbecoming to an uninvited guest in someone's home, Loki face-palms and Odin shows up pissed off at EVERYONE. He disciplines his unruly child by taking his bangbangsmash toy away and puts him in time-out (ie: smacking him down to Earth, the Realm of the Unwashed) which in my opinion was a bit unfair since you know, it wasn't like he went there all by himself. Why did everyone else get off free and easy?

Turns out that Odin knows best, because the minute Thor touches down on earth he becomes a much more enjoyable character to watch (not to mention the annoying overacting on Chris Hemsworth's part disappears) and things pick up considerably. Sure, you can't take him anywhere because he never met a coffee cup he didn't want to smash and he seems to think that hospitals want to kill him, but dang it, he makes the most of his exile. Poor Jane gets her life's work stolen by some Random Mystery Government characters and realizes that her best chance of finding out the information she needs is from that crazy man who thinks he's a god that she hit with her Jeep. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Odin mysteriously takes ill and is reclining on a round bed with a blanket that can best be described as being made from floating storm clouds (seriously? the special effects team went ALL OUT in this movie, it's amazing), secrets are revealed, Loki gets shady, and Thor's sister and friends decide to go to Earth to bring their friend home.

I won't spoil the rest, but from this point the movie just gets better and better. Definitely a "must-see" but watch it in 2-D if you can. The 3-D was okay and made some scenes pop but not really necessary, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Yay! Finally saw Thor last night.

The theater closest to my house were only showing this in 3-D (which is something I try to avoid since I already wear glasses and most movies are perfectly fine in plain ole 2-D and don't justify the extra expense) so I was already annoyed by the time I sat down and put the glasses over my glasses to watch and proceeded to get even more annoyed at the opening sequence (that featured a lot of over-acting "I! He-Man! Smash! Kill!" and angst from Thor, Jane Foster and their respective happy band of friends) that made me roll my eyes back so far I could probably spot Narnia.

Except the part where the Ice giants crash Odin's big shing-ding dinner party right in the middle of him praising Thor. That part was cool.

Fortunately, help arrives early in the form of Loki, Odin, Heimdall and Jane's droll little friend who made me laugh every time she opened her mouth. Anthony Hopkins is always incredible, and the actor who played Loki has this amazing quality that makes you want to watch him. Idris absolutely blew me away as Heimdall; I'd heard about his performance but hearing about it is one thing; actually seeing it puts it into a whole different level. Amazing. Sadly, I can't say the same for Hogun (in Asano's defense, he's normally a great actor but he learned English for this role and still had that stilted, hesitant speech that should be familiar to anyone who has attempted to learn a new language when you want to make sure you're pronouncing everything ~just right~) but he had the kickiest little ponytail EVER so I decided to pay attention to that instead whenever he was onscreen.

Thor and friends visit the realm of the Ice Giants and have a little chat with the Head Man in Charge there. Everything about this realm is creepy and perfect, and the voice actor did an amazing job because his voice just dripped with ice, evil and sin (and a hint of bourbon). Head Ice guy gets snarky, Thor gets mad and acts in a manner unbecoming to an uninvited guest in someone's home, Loki face-palms and Odin shows up pissed off at EVERYONE. He disciplines his unruly child by taking his bangbangsmash toy away and puts him in time-out (ie: smacking him down to Earth, the Realm of the Unwashed) which in my opinion was a bit unfair since you know, it wasn't like he went there all by himself. Why did everyone else get off free and easy?

Turns out that Odin knows best, because the minute Thor touches down on earth he becomes a much more enjoyable character to watch (not to mention the annoying overacting on Chris Hemsworth's part disappears) and things pick up considerably. Sure, you can't take him anywhere because he never met a coffee cup he didn't want to smash and he seems to think that hospitals want to kill him, but dang it, he makes the most of his exile. Poor Jane gets her life's work stolen by some Random Mystery Government characters and realizes that her best chance of finding out the information she needs is from that crazy man who thinks he's a god that she hit with her Jeep. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Odin mysteriously takes ill and is reclining on a round bed with a blanket that can best be described as being made from floating storm clouds (seriously? the special effects team went ALL OUT in this movie, it's amazing), secrets are revealed, Loki gets shady, and Thor's sister and friends decide to go to Earth to bring their friend home.

I won't spoil the rest, but from this point the movie just gets better and better. Definitely a "must-see" but watch it in 2-D if you can. The 3-D was okay and made some scenes pop but not really necessary, IMO.
    Sif is not Thor's sister, she is a companion warrior. In the comics I believe a love interest at one time.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Sif is not Thor's sister, she is a companion warrior. In the comics I believe a love interest at one time.
    Oops, thanks for the info!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, there was a bit of a love interest vibe there... Re Jane and Thor, I think they did sit up most of one night on beach chairs by a fire outside the trailer...so maybe that's supposed to account for the passion, other than Thor's hotness of course! I agree, I really liked Jane's friend. Clearly from the post credits scene the next movie is also set on Earth, so presumably Jane and Thor reunite at least briefly.
    I liked that the FBI guy thought the scary metal monster Loki sent was a revamped version of Ironman--briefly!
    I forgot to look for Stan Lee, but definitely remember
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the guy in tow truck, asking if they'd pulled out the hammer, as the back comes off his truck.
    Way to go, Stan!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12