+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water for Elephants

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Water for Elephants

It starts today! As a fan of the book and the actors, I've been really looking forward to it. Personally I'm looking to support an old fashioned movie like this, with the gorgeous sets and circus atmosphere, my old brain gets tired of special effects and explosions.

Can the film live up to Sara Gruen's best-selling novel, an adored word-of-mouth phenomenon? [Yes.]

"Water for Elephants" is a circus tale, full of drunks, tossed-off circus wisdom and forlorn animals, including a beautiful elephant.

In an age of prefabricated special effects and obviously phony spectacle, it's sort of old-fashioned (and a pleasure) to see a movie made of real people and plausible sets.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Water for Elephants

As I also posted in more detail under the books thread, the only review I've seen so far is really bad. I hope you see it anyway, and let the rest of us know what you think!

PWS - Some reviews are really bad, but some are really great. Rotten Tomatoes has the movie at a 54% which is respectable and out of 91 reviews, 49 are fresh.

I'm seeing it soon, I will report back.

has anyone seen this yet..parts of it look interesting but yet parts look boring...I will be interested to hear what people have to say about it after seeing it
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm waiting for the FORT reviews! I always find them more helpful and "real" than the newspaper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by talldede View Post
    PWS - Some reviews are really bad, but some are really great. Rotten Tomatoes has the movie at a 54% which is respectable and out of 91 reviews, 49 are fresh.

I'm seeing it soon, I will report back.
    Also on Rotten Tomatoes, the audience feedback was 93% positive!
    Hope to see this one soon.
    Count your blessings!

Wow! What a beautiful, old fashioned movie. I loved how the story unfolded, at times I wanted the pace to be a bit faster, but then had to tell myself to enjoy the story as it was being recalled. Once I settled in and relaxed, I just absorbed the beauty on the screen. The sets and the costuming were incredible.

Christoph was wonderful. He walked the line between evil and sadistic to genuinely charming quite well. Reese was lovely, I bought her as the desperate young gal trapped in a life she wanted to escape. And Rob, well, I truly don't think he's ever looked better and I believed him as Jacob from the very first scene. He showed a great range of emotions very credibly. And Rosie, my gosh, that elephant. She is worth the ticket price alone. What a star!

All and all it is a story about life and love and danger and tragedy and follows the book quite closely. There has been talk of Rob and Reese not having much chemistry. I thought they played it very well. It was subtle. Their characters were very attracted and that attraction was extremely dangerous. They had to play it very carefully.

Hal Holbrook was perfect! I truly adored this movie.

Has anyone heard any comments from Hollywood about the fact they used wild animals in this movie. I realize it called for them. It's just that today many people are objecting to using wild, trained animals for entertainment purposes. I'm not sure how I feel it about yet. I did expect to hear some flack about it.

Good questions Debb70.

Check out this website. It answers your questions.

Behind the Scenes of | No Animals Were Harmed

Just saw this with my mom - WOW!!! Must see!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast