+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scream 4

Scream 4

SYNOPSIS On the fifteenth anniversary of the Woodsboro killings, Sidney Prescott returns to town to promote her new book, Out of Darkness, reuniting with old friends Dewey and Gale Riley in the process. Sidney's visit is interrupted, however, when Ghostface wreaks havoc once again, preying on a whole new generation of Woodsboro teeangers.

Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott
    David Arquette as Sheriff Dewey Riley
    Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers Riley
    Anthony Anderson as Deputy Anthony Perkins
    Kristen Bell as Chloe
    Alison Brie as Rebecca Walters
    Adam Brody as Deputy Ross Hoss
    Rory Culkin as Charlie Walker
    Shenae Grimes as Trudie
    Lucy Hale as Sherrie
    Marielle Jaffe as Olivia Morris
    Erik Knudsen as Robbie Mercer
    Mary McDonnell as Kate Roberts
    Hayden Panettiere as Kirby Reed
    Anna Paquin as Rachel
    Emma Roberts as Jill Roberts
    Brittany Robertson as Marnie Cooper
    Marley Shelton as Deputy Judy Hicks
    Aimee Teegarden as Jenny Randall
    Nico Tortorella as Trevor Sheldon

REVIEW I'm not the type of person to see horror flicks. Actually, I hate them. But strangely enough, I love reading about the premise of horror flicks. It sounds lame, but when a buzzy horror movie comes out, I want to read about the storyline that everyone is talking about. Well, the more and more I kept reading about the Scream movies, the more enticing I found them. I ended up marathoning the first three Scream's back to back to back last weekend. At that point, I couldn't not go out and see this movie.

Of course, I knew about everything that was going to happen with all 4 movies since I read into them. I sort of regret doing that, but at the same time, I wouldn't have gotten so enticed if I hadn't read into the plots of all movies.

Anyway, as for Scream 4 (or SCRE4M), I would rank this on par with the first two. For all Scream fans, we all know that that the third one is definitely the worst one. But the fourth one makes up for it. The franchise was originially written as a trilogy and only a trilogy, but after 11 years after Scream 3, this one didn't feel out of place. The plot actually felt believable -- well, as believe as a horror movie can get. And the performances are pretty solid.

My suggestion? Definitely go see it if you're ever in the mood. Just watch the first one before going, at least. I would watch all three, but the first one is the most necessary.

Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Re: Scream 4

heard it did really badly money wise.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Yeah, it's doing not-so-well in the box office. Which is really a shame, because it's a great horror movie.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I think people are done with the franchise. Probably will do well as a rental.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I really enjoyed Scream 4 and would say it's definitely the best sequel in the franchise. I actually haven't decided yet if I think it's just as good as the original but I can say that it came very close. For me I was expecting a complete failure but I actually thought they stayed true to the first three films but also covered some new ground at the same time. After the first three mocked the scary movie, the sequel, and the trilogy I expected this to target franchise horror (which it did a little bit) but I found it surprising and refreshing that they also mocked the remake craze that has taken over the horror genre. I will agree with those who say the characters were paper thin but with the Scream movies I'm not exactly looking or expecting to get to know most of the characters (Scream 3 is the most notorious of the bunch with a ton of characters that are basically one dimensional stereotypes present only to get killed off and up the body count). I do have one negative/nitpick about the overall movie:

SPOILER:

I think it was VERY silly that they didn't kill off at least one of the three main characters. After Scream 3 and 4 it's just starting to lose tension and seem like no matter what Sydney, Dewey, and Gail are safe. I agree that they are the heart and soul of the film and it would be hard to lose any one of them BUT this is a horror film and that risk still needs to be there. During Scream 4 I never once thought Dewey, Gail, or Sydney were in any real trouble or risk of dying. I have not been straight up shocked by a kill in the Scream series since Randy's death in part 2. Killing off one of them would be shocking, re-establish that no one is safe, and would lower the already inflated budget.

I'm glad you also enjoyed it!

As for your spoiler:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't think it was necessary to kill off one of the big three. I think Wes knew that this new installment would be geared more towards the long-time fans than the casual movie goers, since the last move came out 11 years ago. I agree that it would have added to the suspense of the whole film, but I think many fans would have caused an uproar if Dewey, Gale, or Sidney were killed off. Plus, we wouldn't have gotten that great ending!

+ Reply to Thread