+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rango

Rango

Absolutely the best film I have seen in the last 18 months.

When I look back on it the best films I have seen were "How to Train Your Dragon", "Megamind", and "Rango. Why, because the stories are great, the characters are great and the relationships are believable, and the movies are all crafted with care and great expertise.

Rango - seems like another animated film for kids. It is not. All age ranges can what it, but I think older adults and western film buffs will adore it. This movie has so many inside jokes. It's a wonderful tribute to the western. The stranger with no name that arrives in town to save it. It is so full of archetypes that a social anthologists will have a field day watching these movie. It is priceless to watch the rattlesnake gunslinger and realize he is patterned after Lee Van Cleef. Totally loved the homage to Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns. Then there is the soundtrack, songs and themes from great western TV shows and movies and of course Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" forever linked to the movie "Apocalyse Now" and now to "Rango."

Johnny Depp is brilliant as "Rango" and deserves an Oscar for this portrayal. I also like that this film pokes a little fun at itself and at Johnny Depp's currently most famous role of "Captain Jack Sparrow". Definitely a must see film.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Rango

Saw it yesterday---while I would go quite THAT far it is definitely enjoyable, even for adults attending without kids. To my surprise the 4 pm Sat. show was nearly empty--I was braced for birthday parties full of kids--so a pleasant surprise, although probably not good for the film's bottom line.
    I especially liked the "Eastwoodness" of The Spirit of the West! Lots of other good film references as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Saw it yesterday---while I would go quite THAT far it is definitely enjoyable, even for adults attending without kids. To my surprise the 4 pm Sat. show was nearly empty--I was braced for birthday parties full of kids--so a pleasant surprise, although probably not good for the film's bottom line.
    I especially liked the "Eastwoodness" of The Spirit of the West! Lots of other good film references as well.
    They were all watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I am happy to report to you and Bearcata that Rango has grossed about $200.4 million worldwide (according to the Hollywood Reporter). Not too shabby!
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    They were all watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2.
    OK, that explains what I saw vs. mushybrain's $200 million!

+ Reply to Thread