+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oscars 2011

CCL

Re: Oscars 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Me too. I've been a HUGE fan of HBC for many years. My best friend and I were obsessed with Lady Jane when we were teenagers. She and Cary Elwes were gorgeous together!

My crush on Robert Downey Jr. started with Weird Science. Damn, I'm old!
    My university professor slammed Lady Jane Grey movie which irked me no end. I loved it and HBC can do no wrong in my opinion.
    I liked the ending. It was cheesy but cute all the same. I thought the show was ok. I enjoyed Anne Hathaway. Honestly, though, if they cut all the sound, film editing etc awards from the broadcast it would go quicker. Not that those people shouldn't get awards, just that most of the viewing public don't really care.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I didn't care for Weird Science. But I can watch Less Than Zero all day long.

Don't think I saw it...might have, but don't remember.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Don't think I saw it...might have, but don't remember.
    You would definitely remember it if you saw it...Downey's performance is riveting. The Bret Easton Ellis novel the movie is based on is excellent as well. Do check out both of them.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

You would definitely remember it if you saw it...Downey's performance is riveting. The Bret Easton Ellis novel the movie is based on is excellent as well. Do check out both of them.
    I love Bret Easton Ellis, but never read that book or saw the movie.
    Is it similar to his others?

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I must be really getting mellow in my old age because I enjoyed the show last night, with the exception of Melissa's Leo's speech. Oh, not the profanity, but that it went on and on and on. Since that was one of the first awards, I thought that might set the tone for the length of thanking, but it didn't.

James Franco playing straight man to Anne Hathaway was confusing at first, but then I caught on. My favorite part of the early sections was her, in a tux, singing a solo because Hugh Jackman backed out from a duet. She brought out some real comedic acting skills last night.

I was also confused at first with Billy Crystal talking about Bob Hope - but since the theme was Oscar over the years - it made sense when they played an oversize Bob Hope on screen doing his Oscar schtick. It was the same every year about being passed over for an Oscar once again, and while funny the first few years, when he decided to leave I was very happy to have Johnny Carson swing into his place.

I loved Helen Mirren speaking French for the Foreign film category and Russell Brand doing a comedic interpretation. Very well done, you two. Sandra Bullock showed beautiful in gown and smart in wit with the Best Actor nominees. No wonder Anne seemed to be somewhat awestruck by her - even with the horrible lines she had to say about her.

During the memoriam, I like that they didn't announce Celine Dion as the singer at the top of the segment. She did very well and the mention at the back end along with Halle Berry was enough.

I thought the new youngster in town - Hailee ?? - looked so gorgeous and appropriate in her ballerina length gown. She just looked precious in her sparkles. The only REAL miss gown-wise for me was Melissa Leo - though during the local news, I caught a glance of Heidi Klum at the Vanity Fair red carpet and she was wearing mirrors sewn all over her dress. Another note for PR fans - I missed his comments but Mondo was sitting with David Dukes during the best and worst segment after the show.

I am delighted the small budget British film has runaway with profits and the Oscars for Best Picture, Actor and Director. For anyone who is just now discovering Colin Firth, I would suggest a way to cement your new found fan status is to watch the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. When he steps out of the bath, walks to the window and spies on her frolicking on the lawn....oh my. I haven't checked to see if you can rent it on Netflix as I recently copied my tape to DVD. Hmm...next rainy day, I'm popping it in the player.

Overall, I liked the Oscar show even without screaming standing ovations.

P.S. On the Red Carpet did anyone else think that Warren Beatty is having mental problems? I don't know, it was just a feeling I had when he spoke with the reporter.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 02-28-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I've watched more Oscar shows than I'd like to admit, but without a doubt I can say this was absolutely, positively the worst. Ms. Hathaway and Mr. Franco may be wonderful actors (I haven't watched any of their movies), but they're certainly not entertainers. Whether or not Franco's schtick was deliberate, Ann apparently felt compelled to escalate the manic behavior throughout the evening, to a point where I expected her head to explode at any minute. In a show that offered few bright spots, these moments deserve mention:

Russell Brand and Helen Mirren -- loved the pairing of the always classy, elegant Ms. Mirren with the always disheveled Brand, and their banter as Helen spoke French and Brand provided a hilarious interpretation. Maybe they should host next year!

Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law -- another pair with great repartee, as well as potential Oscar hosts.

Acceptance speeches for The King's Speech winners -- the Brits brought some much-needed class to the evening.

I am delighted the small budget British film has runaway with profits and the Oscars for Best Picture, Actor and Director.
    Ditto. I loved it and was thrilled that it won. Everything about it was Oscar-worthy -- the script, the direction, the acting -- and I wish both Helena Bonham-Carter and Geoffrey Rush would have won for their outstanding performances.
    For anyone who is just now discovering Colin Firth, I would suggest a way to cement your new found fan status is to watch the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. When he steps out of the bath, walks to the window and spies on her frolicking on the lawn....oh my.
    Yes! I don't believe anyone has ever or will ever do a better Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth. While he was certainly deserving of an Oscar last year for A Single Man, his portrayal of King George was unforgettable.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    . . . For anyone who is just now discovering Colin Firth, I would suggest a way to cement your new found fan status is to watch the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. When he steps out of the bath, walks to the window and spies on her frolicking on the lawn....oh my. I haven't checked to see if you can rent it on Netflix as I recently copied my tape to DVD.
    I'd already seen it, but decided last night to put it back in my Netflix queue. No surprise - it comes up with the notation "long wait" . . . but definitely worth waiting for!!!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

What, nobody watching the Red Carpet? Halle Berry - stunning. Her dress makes her look almost ethereal. Jennifer Hudson and Sandra Bullock also looking exceptional - I thought Jennifer's dress was red but one of the fashionistas called it "tangerine". Sandra's is knockout red.

Is Christian Bale Australian? He's talking with a very strong accent. Also sporting an unattractive Unabomber beard with matching eyebrows.
    I think Christian is Welsh. I watched a little, but really couldn't stand Anne Hathaway's hooting/whooping/hyper reactions. I tuned back in for the final awards.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Ditto on the Firth/Ehle P&P love, although it was for BBC, not PBS For new Colin Firth fans, I also recommend A Single Man and the wonderful Then She Found Me . He's fantastic in everything, but these two stand out for me of his recent films.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel's Oscar special was ten times funnier than the Oscar show. I'm going to watch on Hulu again because it was so funny. "HumPilates" The vids with Mike Tyson and Tom Hanks were hilarious too.

Why the Oscars keep hiring Bruce Villanch, I don't know. That man hasn't written a funny joke in years.

For me, the best line of the night came from a deadpan Cate Blanchett after the clips for best make-up: "That's gross."

I read a comment somewhere than Jennifer Lawrence's gown was plain and was something anyone could buy. I don't know that I'd call a silk Calvin Klein tank dress something anyone could buy, nor is it something anyone can wear. I thought she looked stunning - like Brigitte Bardot. I also thought Hailee Steinfeld looked fantastic - perfectly adorable and age appropriate. That dress was beautiful, but she didn't look all tarted up.

I also thought Mila Kunis looked incredible in Elie Saab. If I could wear a dress like that, I would. She looked lovely and the color was gorgeous. Michelle Williams did a total 180 from her GG burlap sack of a dress. That white column dress was fab and went perfectly with her 'do and her retro style. I saw a close-up of her face in a photo last night and her skin is practically perfect. Such a beautiful girl.

I think Anne and James bombing might be karma after James talked about how Ricky Gervais "bombed" at the Golden Globes. Ricky did a lot of things at the GG, but bombing was not one of them.

Next year, they should hire Neil Patrick Harris and be done with it. He's a perfect combination of snarky and classy. Plus, he can sing and dance. I like Anne Hathaway, but she looked like a hyper poodle and there's NO way James Franco was not stoned.

I guess if I had to miss part of ANY Oscar show (and I NEVER miss them - this is the first time in at least 5 years), this was the one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Ditto on the Firth/Ehle P&P love, although it was for BBC, not PBS For new Colin Firth fans, I also recommend A Single Man and the wonderful Then She Found Me . He's fantastic in everything, but these two stand out for me of his recent films.
    I guess because I saw it on PBS I didn't realize it was originally BBC, but that makes sense.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread