+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oscars 2011

Re: Oscars 2011

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Every time Colin Firth opens his mouth I'm reduced to a puddle of goo. He just seems the essence of an English gentlemen, not that I've ever actually met one.
    Me too. He's dreamy.

I like the list of Best Picture losers. Nice point.

Wow, interesting that in showing clips from all the nominees, the only audio is Colin from TKS.....

Best Picture goes to The King's Speech and deservedly so. I only wish they weren't planning to edit all the profanity out to make it PG-13. Ridiculous. Just when I start to think Weinstein might not be a jackass, Miramax goes and does something like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Aaaaaaaand it's The King's Speech!

I was actually betting on TSN since it was getting so many awards (that's why I said it wouldn't be all that much of a shock if it won). But I guess I convinced myself of a TSN-win to a point where the actual BP winner was an actual shock.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    A friend of mine has just gotten on the Firth train as well. I recommended Another Country followed immediately by St. Trinian's. This win makes up for last year, because A Single Man should have won best actor, if not best picture.
    Absolutely! I always tell the story of trying to watch A Single Man on my computer, but it wouldn't play the dialogue sound track - it only played the music track. It took at least five minutes for me to realize there was a problem because the film was so beautiful, visually.

Colin should have won Best Actor for that, but the Academy rarely rewards subtlety in acting. He was stunning in that film.

Wow, this is ending on a super cheesy note. I think I need some insulin.....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I love the thought of the ending, but the way it has come across is definitely super cheesy. As is the having all the winners comeing out on stage. Yikes! Though, I think this may be the ending to the show that was.

I am also getting satisfaction seeing Helena Bonham Carter up on stage as part of the winning film. I just told my daughter that she was both the Queen of Hearts and HP's Bellatrix, so she's pleased as well. (Helena Bonham Carter just steals every scene she's part of in the HP movies, IMO.)

Well, that was certainly not the most exciting Oscars broadcast ever. But I did get some good glimpses of Firth and Robert Downey Jr., at least.

ETA: Crit, that happened to me when I tried to watch A Single Man on a Westjet flight last year! The flight attendant tried to reset my screen but it ended up crapping out altogether. I never did get to see it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

But I did get some good glimpses of Firth and Robert Downey Jr., at least.
    Ahhh...Robert Downey Jr, at least. Have had the hots for him every since the movie Heart & Soul eons ago. Loves me RDJr...YUM!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Not going to say how many years I've been watching this show...Suffice to say, since I was a really little girl. But, this one seemed like it went on for 5 hours.....
    My least favorite ever.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I am also getting satisfaction seeing Helena Bonham Carter up on stage as part of the winning film. I just told my daughter that she was both the Queen of Hearts and HP's Bellatrix, so she's pleased as well. (Helena Bonham Carter just steals every scene she's part of in the HP movies, IMO.)

Well, that was certainly not the most exciting Oscars broadcast ever. But I did get some good glimpses of Firth and Robert Downey Jr., at least.
    Me too. I've been a HUGE fan of HBC for many years. My best friend and I were obsessed with Lady Jane when we were teenagers. She and Cary Elwes were gorgeous together!

My crush on Robert Downey Jr. started with Weird Science. Damn, I'm old!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Me too. I've been a HUGE fan of HBC for many years. My best friend and I were obsessed with Lady Jane when we were teenagers. She and Cary Elwes were gorgeous together!

My crush on Robert Downey Jr. started with Weird Science. Damn, I'm old!
    That's right...forgot all about him in that movie...yes, we're old!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I didn't care for Weird Science. But I can watch Less Than Zero all day long.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread