+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oscars 2011

Re: Oscars 2011

Wait, so we only have Actor, Actress and Picture left and there are 50 minutes left. What am I missing?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

It is supposed to end at 11:30 ET according to my tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    As sad as it is, the In Memorium is one of the montages I look for every year at the Oscars (and other award shows).
    I always wonder though what their criteria is on who makes it in and who doesn't.
    What I appreciated this year is that people didn't (or at least they didn't play the audio of) clap and cheer loudly when certainly people's faces appeared in the In Memoriam section. It always made me feel badly for the people who didn't get as many applause.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Wait, so we only have Actor, Actress and Picture left and there are 50 minutes left. What am I missing?
    According to my tv, it's supposed to be over in about 15 minutes?? I imagine it'll run over that though, but hopefully not by much.

I too appreciated the lack of applause/cheering during the montage too and the lack of showy singing from Celine.

15 minutes sounds right. I've had enough, anyway.

I can't wait to see Black Swan. That scenes I've seen tonight from The Kids Are Alright is making me want to see it as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    What I appreciated this year is that people didn't (or at least they didn't play the audio of) clap and cheer loudly when certainly people's faces appeared in the In Memoriam section. It always made me feel badly for the people who didn't get as many applause.
    I hate that too: it's like a popularity contest of something. Pretty crass.

Best actress coming up.....Julianne Moore really should have been nominated.....

Natalie Portman wins, predictably.

ETA: Okay 15 minutes makes more sense. I wasn't home when it started, so I was thinking just now that it started at 6. I couldn't imagine how they'd fill that much time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I don't think this has been said, but I love, love, love that Michelle Williams took Busy Phillips to the Oscars. They've been friends for a long time! Though I kind of wish that she had taken Ryan Gosling.

I'm not surprised that Natalie won. I like the dress, but not crazy about the hair.

The past few years they've eliminated numerous people from the In Memoriam section.
    In fact, many people complained to the producers about this.
    The producers just gave a lame response about time restraints....
    Eddie Fisher should certainly have been listed. Cripes, i they can list Ronni Chasen, a publicist, they sure as h*ll could have listed Eddie.
    On another topic, Natalie Portman, although another non-surprise, was just brilliant in Black Swan. A totally mesmerizing performance!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Longest. Speech. Ever....
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I love that Michelle takes Busy as her date to everything too. She went with her to the Golden Globes and to the Oscars the last time she was nominated.

Natalie looks beautiful, but those earrings are horrid. They belong on bad brocade curtains.

OK, Sandra Bullock is very pretty and talented and witty and well-dressed, etc., etc...but puh-leez, she's not the only actress and certainly not the only woman to get divorced because her husband cheated. How are we supposed to know what kind of woman she is IRL? Sorry if I don't feel the need to heap adulation on a rich actor because she "gracefully" dumped her husband.

Anyway. Go Colin Firth. You will always be Darcy to me, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread