+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oscars 2011

Re: Oscars 2011

I think the producers may be learning that "safe and bland" is often REALLY boring. I like Anne Hathaway, but she's coming off a little too white bread....that's probably because she kind of is. Ricky Gervais is looking better and better!

Like I said, I never liked Billy Crystal or thought he was very funny, which is okay, since he thinks he's funny enough for the both of us. I thought Steve Martin was fabulous and LOVED Hugh Jackman, but no one can ever top Johnny Carson. He was the best!

RDJ and Jude were very funny. I liked their little bit more than I liked Sherlock Holmes! The dig about the hotel room with Cat Woman was awesome.

I think the song and not Gwyneth was the problem - it wasn't good for her voice. Wasn't "Country Strong" nominated for Best Song?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As sad as it is, the In Memorium is one of the montages I look for every year at the Oscars (and other award shows).
    I always wonder though what their criteria is on who makes it in and who doesn't.

Randy Newman has never had the best of voices, but as he ages his voice is too thin to be able to hit it out of the park.
    Years ago, his voice was really more in sync with the great songs he wrote.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    As sad as it is, the In Memorium is one of the montages I look for every year at the Oscars (and other award shows).
    I always wonder though what their criteria is on who makes it in and who doesn't.
    I always look for it too. I think the producers learned their lesson after all the complaints they got the year (I think) Queen Latifah sang during the montage and they kept cutting to her and doing different "creative" camera angles, so you couldn't always see who was on the big screen. It seemed like they were fewer actors in the In Memoriam section this time. Also, didn't Eddie Fisher die this year too? I seem to remember that he and Tony Curtis passed around the same time. Unless I missed it, Eddie wasn't in the montage and he definitely should have been.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Trying to decide if I like Hillary Swank's dress.

Going to say...yes. HATE Kathryn Bigelow's dress.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

What the hell is Kathryn Bigelow wearing? It looks like a sweater dress. Yikes.

Tom Hooper wins Best Director for The King's Speech Even though he won the DGA this year, some were predicting that Fincher would take Best Director.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

zzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzZZZZz....BOOO OOORRRRRRRINNNNNGGGG!

Would somebody please put a stick of dynamite underneath the pack of corpses sitting in the audience, please???! Honestly...I've seen more life in a graveyard than in this building tonight.

This show is an utter snoozefest!

And that lady they just showed with the red dress on looked like she was wearing a snuggie. lol
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Eli Wallach

I didn't know that about how "The King's Speech" came to be. What a smart mother!
    I appreciate that they're paying respect and homage to some very worthy people, but part of me feels like these are the reasons why things run so late.

Our feed is the Canadian CTV version, but I just saw online the Modern Family Oscards charades and I loved it! Those are the reasons why I love that show. Especially at the end. Rocky. Psycho. Home Alone.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Eddie Fisher did die late last year--he should have been in the montage.

I loved seeing Eli Wallach up there on stage. He was in one of my favorite movies last year--The Ghost Writer--and stole the scene.

+ Reply to Thread