+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Oscars 2011

Re: Oscars 2011

It seems like everything good on PBS came from BBC!

I know Melissa Leo is kind of getting bagged on for cursing and for the really crass self-promotional ads she took out (which I definitely thought was a bad move), but I'm still so happy for her. I remember her on All My Children, The Young Riders and then on one of the best shows in TV history, Homicide. It's nice to see someone who's been working hard in the business for a LONG time finally get some recognition. I'd much rather see someone like her win than (sorry) Jennifer Hudson, who had never really acted before and who has shown since then that the winning role was a bit of a fluke.

Speaking of JHud - that dress was pretty bad. The color was pretty and it looked great until you got to the cleavage and then it all went wrong. Someone should have used some body makeup to make her skin tone more consistent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Why the Oscars keep hiring Bruce Villanch, I don't know. That man hasn't written a funny joke in years.

I read a comment somewhere than Jennifer Lawrence's gown was plain and was something anyone could buy. I don't know that I'd call a silk Calvin Klein tank dress something anyone could buy, nor is it something anyone can wear. I thought she looked stunning - like Brigitte Bardot. I also thought Hailee Steinfeld looked fantastic - perfectly adorable and age appropriate. That dress was beautiful, but she didn't look all tarted up.

I also thought Mila Kunis looked incredible in Elie Saab. If I could wear a dress like that, I would. She looked lovely and the color was gorgeous. Michelle Williams did a total 180 from her GG burlap sack of a dress. That white column dress was fab and went perfectly with her 'do and her retro style. I saw a close-up of her face in a photo last night and her skin is practically perfect. Such a beautiful girl.
    Jennifer Lawrence's dress looked like a Baywatch swimsuit transformed into a dress. Did not like. Agree about Hailee Steinfeld. Mila Kunis- I kept thinking how much tape she must have on to just cover her chest with the lacey bits. I don't even remember what Michelle Williams was wearing - I just remember her face looking weird. I liked Amy Adams dress but the necklaces did not go. I also liked Sandra Bullock's dress but not really the bow in the back (but I guess it covers your butt, if that's a concern). I'm eager to get this week's magazines so I can see all the dresses up close.

Next year, they should hire Neil Patrick Harris and be done with it. He's a perfect combination of snarky and classy. Plus, he can sing and dance. I like Anne Hathaway, but she looked like a hyper poodle and there's NO way James Franco was not stoned.
    l
    Yes on Harris.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

I think Anne and James bombing might be karma after James talked about how Ricky Gervais "bombed" at the Golden Globes. Ricky did a lot of things at the GG, but bombing was not one of them.
    The ratings for the GG actually went up for this year's show, unlike the ratings for this year's Oscars, which EW reported being down by 7 percent.

Next year, they should hire Neil Patrick Harris and be done with it. He's a perfect combination of snarky and classy.
    I think Neil would do a great job, by himself, no need for a co-host.

FORT Fogey

I've heard several reports that Hailee Steinfeld helped design her Oscar dress and her other dresses this award season, so she clearly has an idea of what it's appropriate and comfortable for her to wear at her age and what is not. Good for her. I don't like it when young teens end up trying to look much older and end up making others feel uncomfortable about the way they look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I've heard several reports that Hailee Steinfeld helped design her Oscar dress and her other dresses this award season, so she clearly has an idea of what it's appropriate and comfortable for her to wear at her age and what is not. Good for her. I don't like it when young teens end up trying to look much older and end up making others feel uncomfortable about the way they look.
    I read that too She designed this one with Marchesa. It was beautiful. Seeing her on the red carpet this season has reminded me of Kiernan Shipka from Mad Men. She always looks pretty, stylish and age appropriate without looking like she should be carrying a teddy bear or wearing lace socks and Mary Janes.

I know the fashion experts are split on Jennifer Lawrence. I still loved it. If you have a body like that, you don't need much.

I saw some fashion report that said the dress Amy Adams wore was paired with that same necklace on the runway. Just goes to show that what looks good on a 5'10" willowy model, may not look as good on a shorter, curvier actress. Things that are totally outrageous look great on the runway and nowhere else. I thought the color was good on Amy, but the cap sleeves were so unflattering and the necklace was completely wrong.

The Oprah Oscars show was pretty bad, with the exception of Tom Hooper, Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth, of course! Her fawning all over Anne Hathaway was just embarrassing, especially since Anne didn't exactly knock it out of the park. I read a review of the show that called Anne "drippy," which I thought was totally accurate.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread