+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True Grit (2010)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

True Grit (2010)

Jeff Bridges did John Wayne proud in this remake of True Grit. Well cast, lots of things that bring the original to mind, but excellent in its own right.

Re: True Grit (2010)

This is an excellent movie. But it is not a remake of the John Wayne version of True Grit, it is a movie based on the book. Subtle difference. If you did see the original and this you may say what is the diff but Jeff Bridges does a much better fuller Rooster Cogburn then John Wayne did and I would not be surprised to hear that Jeff Bridges was nominated for an Oscar based on his performance in this film. This is much more a character driven movie and you can feel the bumps and grinds it takes for Lebeouf, played by Matt Damon, Cogburn, played by Bridges and Mattie Ross, played by Hailee Steinfeld, to get to know each other and finally work as a team to capture the bad guys.

The Coen Brothers did an excellent job in recreating the town and in picking the location of the shots that more closely resemble the actual story than the John Wayne version.

This movie definitely deserves 4 stars, a thumbs up, an A rating. There are some very brutal, violent scenes, but it was a brutal, violent time filled with brutal, violent people.

The only weakness I feel the movie has is the 40 yr old version of Mattie Ross. I didn't feel the actress they cast really was Mattie and I didn't like her voice in the beginning or ending narration.

Overall a very powerful movie. Good script and good characters.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4136056;
    This is an excellent movie. But it is not a remake of the John Wayne version of True Grit, it is a movie based on the book. Subtle difference.

SNIP

The only weakness I feel the movie has is the 40 yr old version of Mattie Ross. I didn't feel the actress they cast really was Mattie and I didn't like her voice in the beginning or ending narration.

Overall a very powerful movie. Good script and good characters.
    I read a bit on IMDB about both movies, and you are 100% correct about this movie being independently based on the book, and it is not a remake. I stand corrected!

And I thoroughly agree that the older Mattie was poorly cast. The younger Mattie was confident, spunky, and direct. The older Mattie just seemed cold and rude.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I've seen such terrific reviews of this, and loved the book and liked the other movie, so was really looking forward to it, but a friend who saw it said he thought of me when he did, as he knows that I have trouble when actors mumble... and Jeff B. did apparently, a lot. Any others who've seen it have comments on this? Even with hearing aids this is a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4140076;
    I've seen such terrific reviews of this, and loved the book and liked the other movie, so was really looking forward to it, but a friend who saw it said he thought of me when he did, as he knows that I have trouble when actors mumble... and Jeff B. did apparently, a lot. Any others who've seen it have comments on this? Even with hearing aids this is a problem for me.
    I had no problem with anything Jeff Bridges said, it was loud and clear. I tend to have loads of problems with my regular TV shows where sometimes I will replay a scene 4 or 5 times trying to hear what the actor said because they did not said it clearly. Then you have the way too loud commercials. Some of the problem was that when they delivered my Sony TV several years agoa the installation technicans did not coordinate the volume on the Comcast remote and the TV volume. I thought I was going deaf because I had the volume all the way up and could still not hear the dialog clearly. After I had the new TV outlet put in my basement I had that tech check the upstairs TV and he fixed the problem in 5 seconds and said it happens all the time, how annoying.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-06-2011 at 07:12 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Our friend said he thought there were two versions of it, regular and some phrase I've forgotten, like "hi def" or XYZ... and that the latter would have better sound clarity. He saw the regular version....

As in the first movie, all of the dialogue is (for want of a better word), "over-enunciated." Kind of like Data in the Star Trek series - no contractions. There may have been one or two lines which were unclear (I, too, use hearing aids), but that's pretty normal in any movie. I think the only character I really had trouble with was the guy in the bear skin, but his part is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4141267;
    As in the first movie, all of the dialogue is (for want of a better word), "over-enunciated." Kind of like Data in the Star Trek series - no contractions. There may have been one or two lines which were unclear (I, too, use hearing aids), but that's pretty normal in any movie. I think the only character I really had trouble with was the guy in the bear skin, but his part is minimal.
    The reason the characters speak without contractions is because that is the way people spoke back in the day and the author made sure he wrote his book using period language. The only reason I know this is that one of my sibs did a paper on it in high school and I had to listen to it. The use of words and patterns of speech change over time partly because speech is not static.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

We went to it tonight...really good...and while I did lose a number of lines they were pretty evenly distributed...except for the bear guy where I lost a lot. About all I got was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he was a dentist/doctor and had traded for the dead guy's body, and gave them directions to some kind of shelter. Was kind of amazing when they first saw him in his outfit... looked like a bear on a horse!

The thing to look for on Fandango if you have hearing problems is that it is being shown from a DVD, not from film. The DVD has more "bits" than film, so you lose less. Both evening showings tonight were DVD, so it isn't that rare.

Hey PWS:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did you recognize that the young guy who got shot in the cabin ("Please bury me so the wolves don't get me") was the same actor who played Bill Weasley in the last Harry Potter movie?

I didn't realize this until I saw the closing credits and recognized his name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast