+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: True Grit (2010)

MRD

Re: True Grit (2010)

The John Wayne version is violent, but while it dipicts people getting shot and stabbed, today's dipictions of the same seem to be more graphic.

I am not a prude, but I find the graphic depictions of violence (blood and gore) to be too much and I used to work in the medical field and saw my share of blood and gore up close and personal.

I agree that movie makers can dipict scenes of violence without going overboard with the graphicness of it. I quit watching CSI because it was starting to turn my stomach.

Just because you CAN make it realistic, doesn't always mean you should.

I have seen some brilliant movies and tv shows that were able to convey the horror of war, the life in the wild west, etc. without making you sick to your stomach.
    In fact, to me, actors that can convey by acting this horror are truly great actors while the special effects people are the stars where the graphicness takes center stage and at times even upstages the actors.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog, that is what I was trying to say but you said it so much better. I am a nurse and don't feel that blood and gore should be used as entertainment. The reality of it is that it's just being thrown out there way too much when the suggestion of the same would do to horrify the observer. Actors don't have to do much these days to portray a story or situation as it's all about the graphics, shock value, etc. I guess the point could be made that actors are even somewhat optional as in Avatar. Directors and actors need to do better or risk their craft becoming another extinct profession. Peace and good tidings to all.

FORT Fogey

Saw this movie yesterday, and thought it was well done. Violent, yes, but that was the way of the old West. Excellent performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4154230;
    myrosiedog, that is what I was trying to say but you said it so much better. I am a nurse and don't feel that blood and gore should be used as entertainment. The reality of it is that it's just being thrown out there way too much when the suggestion of the same would do to horrify the observer. Actors don't have to do much these days to portray a story or situation as it's all about the graphics, shock value, etc. I guess the point could be made that actors are even somewhat optional as in Avatar. Directors and actors need to do better or risk their craft becoming another extinct profession. Peace and good tidings to all.
    Actors were not optional in Avatar. They did all the talking and action and then the alien overlays were placed over their bodies.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123