Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: True Grit (2010)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: True Grit (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4142322;
    Hey PWS:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did you recognize that the young guy who got shot in the cabin ("Please bury me so the wolves don't get me") was the same actor who played Bill Weasley in the last Harry Potter movie?

I didn't realize this until I saw the closing credits and recognized his name.
    You know I thought he looked sort of familiar! Better looking in the above film though! Thanks!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Started watching the John Wayne version on AMC tonight. It's 3 hours long, so I taped the rest of it to watch later (old people fall asleep early). So far, I think I like the Jeff Bridges version better.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

We watched the original True Grit last night. Hubby said now he realizes what had him scratching his head in the previews for the new one.
    The eye patch is on the other eye - just seemed wrong to him but couldn't figure out what it what.

Minor details...
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I am definitely in the minority here and with my friends in that I did not like this movie. I felt as though it were a compilation of scenes depicting an ongoing story. The plot was sometimes on sabbatical to allow for scenes inserted strictly for their gore and violence. I especially did not like the graphic cruelty to both man and beast. I think the Coen Brothers like to indulge themselves in this type of gore that appeals to their generation. It does not appeal to me. I had to keep my eyes hidden for many of the scenes. It seemed disconnected with the out-takes of senseless violence which distracted me from what the original storyline was about causing me to have to remind myself of what it was about and where all of this was going to end up. The ending was completely unrewarding for sitting through this whole gory mess. I thought that Jeff Bridges role was overwritten and overacted and too extreme. He did a pretty good job of what was asked of him but the only real star in the movie that deserves an Oscar would be the little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4149173;
    I am definitely in the minority here and with my friends in that I did not like this movie. I felt as though it were a compilation of scenes depicting an ongoing story. The plot was sometimes on sabbatical to allow for scenes inserted strictly for their gore and violence. I especially did not like the graphic cruelty to both man and beast. I think the Coen Brothers like to indulge themselves in this type of gore that appeals to their generation. It does not appeal to me. I had to keep my eyes hidden for many of the scenes. It seemed disconnected with the out-takes of senseless violence which distracted me from what the original storyline was about causing me to have to remind myself of what it was about and where all of this was going to end up. The ending was completely unrewarding for sitting through this whole gory mess. I thought that Jeff Bridges role was overwritten and overacted and too extreme. He did a pretty good job of what was asked of him but the only real star in the movie that deserves an Oscar would be the little girl.
    The cruelty and gore is not something the Coen Brothers indulge in this is based on a book written in 1968 and based on events of the 1800's. What is chilling is that cruel and gory events do happen all the time usually in very normal settings the recent shootings in Tucson come to mind. Human nature hasn't changed that much and we occasionally are brutally reminded of it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I completely understand there has always been and still is violence that exists in our world. I have a problem with the way film makers today "depict" violence and cruelty. There are many wonderful movies made in generations past that were fully descriptive of the terrible realities of mans cruelty to man and beast. It was "understood" by suggestion, a look of despair by the actors, the revulsion of those in attendance or of sounds coming from the aggrieved. My complaint is that today there are no boundaries on the visuals we are forced to endure with PG-13 rating no less. There is no imagination of how terrible these things were and are, simply a desensitization of the senses and conscience when over and over witnessed and observed as entertainment.

I don't understand why you were upset that this movie was violent. The original John Wayne picture was noted for some violent scenes. This version was neither more nor less violent that the 1969 version. Still considering some of the crap we see in the Saw movies and on CSI and other autopsy TV shows the level of violence was actually quite low on this film. Also this film is about revenge not normally a nonviolent subject.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4149421;
    My complaint is that today there are no boundaries on the visuals we are forced to endure with PG-13 rating no less.
    If you haven't seen it already, I suggest you check out "This Film Is Not Yet Rated", a documentary on the MPAA. It is made clear that violence is down-rated whilst anything remotely using the "f-word" more than two or three times is up-rated, irrespective of intent (e.g. war documentaries where soldiers are just speaking freely about battle conditions and in a totally non-sexual manner).

That being said, the Coen version of True Grit wasn't any more violent to me than an episode of CSI, as Bearcata said. I can't speak to the original, as if I saw it, it's in the amalgam of all Wayne movies in the back of my brain.

I realize I am in the minority here or perhaps singular. "I" thought it was too violent to be rated PG-13. Everyone is free to choose what they watch. I don't like being unpleasantly surprised by a movie that should have been rated R but was rated PG-13. I don't often go to movies rated R. I also think that CSI and other TV shows like it are too graphic and violent. A crowd all doing the same bad thing does not make it less wrong. I am dismayed at the lack of civility and graciousness in our society. There has always been violence but I don't see anyone doing anything to help that sad truth by just peddling it on TV and at the movies. I have seen things on TV and at the movies that I wish I had never seen and was not prepared for. Parents can't shield their children from everything and they are getting no help at all from all the exterior factors that surround them. They say that's what people want to see and that is even more disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4150215;
    I realize I am in the minority here or perhaps singular. "I" thought it was too violent to be rated PG-13. Everyone is free to choose what they watch. I don't like being unpleasantly surprised by a movie that should have been rated R but was rated PG-13. I don't often go to movies rated R. I also think that CSI and other TV shows like it are too graphic and violent. A crowd all doing the same bad thing does not make it less wrong. I am dismayed at the lack of civility and graciousness in our society. There has always been violence but I don't see anyone doing anything to help that sad truth by just peddling it on TV and at the movies. I have seen things on TV and at the movies that I wish I had never seen and was not prepared for. Parents can't shield their children from everything and they are getting no help at all from all the exterior factors that surround them. They say that's what people want to see and that is even more disturbing.
    Oh, I see your point now. I did go to the Rotten Tomatoes sight and clicked on the PG13 rating for the movie and it did say
    PG-13 [See Full Rating] for some intense sequences of western violence including disturbing images
    . I guess I knew what I was going to see because I have seen the John Wayne version on TV. Still some of the violence was unexpected and brutal, but I think that was the point.

It looks that perhaps the PG movie ratings need to be tweaked a bit. This movie is not an R rated movie and neither is it PG.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast