+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The King's Speech"

Re: "The King's Speech"

I read some newspapers articles last week that help excepts from L's diary. Very fascinating stuff as far as how L supported the king and helped him during his speeches.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just saw this with a friend who is a speech teacher in the local schools, so the ride home was really interesting. Loved, loved, LOVED this movie. I'm with you who will be shocked if both actors don't take home a statue. I'd watch this again.
    Count your blessings!

For some, it was a HP "reunion," but for me, it was a Pride and Prejudice reunion with Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth) and Elizabeth Bennett (Jennifer Ehle as Mrs. Logue) and Mr. Collins (David Bamber as the theater director Logiue auditions for). I got goosebumps when the King met Mrs. Logue - just seeing them on screen together again made me giddy! They were the definitive Darcy and Elizabeth!

I saw the movie (finally) tonight and, of course, loved it. I was so happy to see Claire Bloom and Derek Jacobi and the rest of the spectacular cast of British acting royalty. This has got to be Colin's year for the Oscar! He deserved it for A Single Man, but the Academy rarely rewards such finely nuanced performances. For anyone who missed that one, it's more than worth the time.

I heard that they're considering editing the movie to remove the profanity. People need to get over themselves. That was an integral part of the story and I thought it was hilarious!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4181361;
    I heard that they're considering editing the movie to remove the profanity. People need to get over themselves. That was an integral part of the story and I thought it was hilarious!
    Well that's just f**ity f** f** f** ridiculous Not a single profanity uttered was gratuitous, and you're right - not only was it an integral part of the story, but it was hysterical as well!

I absolutely loved this movie, and was really pleasantly surprised by just how funny parts of it were. I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did. Not that it was a comedy...but you know what I mean. As for the actors, I really hope Colin takes home the Oscar. I thought Geoffrey Rush was excellent as well...but I recently saw "Winter's Bone," and the nominated actor (his name escapes me) who played Teardrop was really outstanding.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Going to see it for a second time today. Hubby will be engrossed in the Super Bowl, so I'm taking a gal pal.

I'm probably one of the people on earth who hates profanity more than anything, but it would be a travesty to remove the profanity from this movie. It is appropriate to the plot and hysterically funny.

And I agree with those who say that Colin Firth was THE best Mr. Darcy ever.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;4181557;
    Well that's just f**ity f** f** f** ridiculous Not a single profanity uttered was gratuitous, and you're right - not only was it an integral part of the story, but it was hysterical as well!

I absolutely loved this movie, and was really pleasantly surprised by just how funny parts of it were. I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did. Not that it was a comedy...but you know what I mean. As for the actors, I really hope Colin takes home the Oscar. I thought Geoffrey Rush was excellent as well...but I recently saw "Winter's Bone," and the nominated actor (his name escapes me) who played Teardrop was really outstanding.
    I want to see that one too. Thankfully, there still is Blockbuster and Netflix so we the viewing public can see these small thoughtful films that unless you are near an "art house" you never get a chance to see.

As for the profanity in King's Speech, I think it showed under that totally bland controlled royal facade there was one angry human being.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

My husband and I saw this movie today. He's the type that prefers an Adam Sandler-type movie over anything historical or dramatic.

He loved it. I even caught him wiping tears from his eyes. I did have to explain the David/King Edward/Wallace Simpson connection to him afterward.

Colin Firth is a shoe-in for Best Actor, having already won that award on previous awards shows.
    Sadly, Geoffrey Rush might not be so fortunate. Christian Bale has been doing well in that category.

I haven't seen many movies lately, and this is the only one I've seen that is nominated for Best Picture. I have a feeling that will be a toss-up between this and The Social Network. Gonna have to catch that OnDemand soon.

I saw it today. Agree that it's a very good movie and that Colin will probably win on Sunday.
    Guy Pearce, an actor whom I've always loved, however, seemed woefully miscast. I wasn't buying that Colin was his younger brother. Guy seems / looks so much younger than Colin.
    And, I felt Guy played Edward as more "foppish", if you will, and actually made him seem gay. Just seemed very off, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I saw this again last night because a friend hadn't seen it and didn't want to go alone. It was just as fascinating the second time... maybe even more so because I could anticipate certain scenes. Lovely movie. Helena was perfect in her role as his wife.
    Count your blessings!

I'm going to take a chance and see it. I think I have good taste in movies, but for some reason when there is a very popular movie that gets much acclaim, I end up not liking it very much. I don't know why. I wasn't keen on The Blind Side nor Inception. Go figure. LOL

I'm a big fan of drama, so maybe I'll like The King's Speech.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast