+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The King's Speech"

Re: "The King's Speech"

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4140077;
    Want to give us a hint,for those who haven't seen it? A spoiler?
    Helen Bonham Carter plays the Queen's Mum.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I saw this movie just today. It is spectacular, and the acting is done so very well -- I agree that Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush should be up for Oscars. I was in tears at the end. Also, the music is spectacular. Don't miss it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4140194;
    Helen Bonham Carter plays the Queen's Mum.
    And
    Click to see Spoiler:
    "Dumbledore" plays the King's father . . . but the big surprise is "Wormtail" plays Winston Churchill!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Absolutely outstanding. I would see it again. I ordered the book too just because I was interested in learning more. I agree. If colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush don't win Oscars for this movie, the academy awards will lose all credibility with me. Someone above mentioned Harry Potter characters. I was wondering where I saw Winston churchill before--he was the one who had turned himself into a rat, right? Waht a change!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;4143024;
    Someone above mentioned Harry Potter characters. I was wondering where I saw Winston churchill before--he was the one who had turned himself into a rat, right? Waht a change!
    Yep - I put that in spoiler quotes above . . . but you're absolutely right!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just saw this....fantastic film! I was familiar with the King's final speech from recordings, but never put it together until now that a lot of the pauses had to do with his stutter and not with "speechifying". Also didn't recall that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Winston C. had had a speech issue,
    although now that sounds faintly familiar.
    PS and it is NOT all about speech therapy, in case anyone is avoiding it for that reason!

Just saw this movie and loved it! The acting was wonderful, and since both sets of my grandparents were British I grew up with a lot of the "folklore" about the monarchy. I'll probably watch this again.

I thought it was brilliant! Both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are superb. Just saw it won the Producers' Guild "best picture" nod. I so hope Firth wins the Oscar for Actor.

One interesting thing about the story: the Queen Mother (the Queen in the pic) asked that the book on which the movie is based story not be published until after her death, saying it brought back too many painful memories. The author honored her wishes.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Read that during the filming the real speech therapist's (Lionel Logue) diary surfaced and the script was changed to include a lot of his actual words.

I looked up what I could about Lionel Logue. Sad at the end that he had at least one son who must have been old enough to enlist. Wonder what happened to that family.

Saw the movie yesterday and loved it. My mother was a staunch anglophile, and since she was born in 1912 much of this was contemporary. I want to read more.

Yeah, the swearing scenes are pretty funny, and some of the best acting! LOL

CCL

Lionel Logue's grandson, Mark Logue, has recently co-written a book, also called The King's Speech, including a lot of material from the diaries etc. It would probably answer questions with regards to what happened to Logue & his family over the years.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast