+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tron: The Legacy

Tron: The Legacy

I have to preface this post by saying I should never read a review, especially a gently negative review of a movie the day before I go see it. That being said I went to Tron: The Legacy early Friday evening before the hordes decended on the movie theater. As expected lots of young guys. The movie is actually beautifully crafted visually and I saw the 2D version. The music was intergrated well and you could feel the vibrations in the theater walls and your seats during some of the effects which I am sure would have been a very thrilling experience in the 3D version of the film, a very you are really there feeling. The effects themselves are vastly superior to the original 1982 film. But Disney has a habbit of dumbing down any kind of real emotional feeling that it is very hard to engage with the characters or story. The review I read did compare this film to Avatar and to Star Wars and there were quite a few moments that all I could think of was "wow the father figure is one powerful Mater Jedi". The costumes and sets and some of the story sequences were excellent. What really threw me was the horrendously poor mouth movements on the younger Kevin Flynn's mouth. It looked as if Jeff Bridges had some major Botox injected into his mouth and jaw. Very disconcerting on both the older and younger versions of the character. The first half of the film is the setup and we watch young Sam grow up and become the ultimate hacker against Encom a company of which he is a major stockholder, he really plays the "oh, poor me card", and considering he is playing a rich kid almost 30 who doesn't have to work but is still moping over his father's alleged abandonment at age 10 or so it gets to be a but much. In fact the first half of the film seems like a bit of a disconnect to the second half of the film. Why they even bothered casting a smarmy type as a CEO and another actor as the head of IT when you never see them again in the film. There was so much potential in the story line and new CGI technology that filmmakers think they don't have to provide a decent story and the result is a major deservice to the viewing audience. Overall the film was OK and I only spent $9.00 for the matinee price. I do think that most of the gaming crowd will enjoy this film. No blood, no guts, no sex, no bad language.

I think Disney had a great opportunity to create something unique here and it failed and that is sad.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Tron: The Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4130722;
    I have to preface this post by saying I should never read a review, especially a gently negative review of a movie the day before I go see it. That being said I went to Tron: The Legacy early Friday evening before the hordes decended on the movie theater. As expected lots of young guys. The movie is actually beautifully crafted visually and I saw the 2D version. The music was intergrated well and you could feel the vibrations in the theater walls and your seats during some of the effects which I am sure would have been a very thrilling experience in the 3D version of the film, a very you are really there feeling. The effects themselves are vastly superior to the original 1982 film. But Disney has a habbit of dumbing down any kind of real emotional feeling that it is very hard to engage with the characters or story. The review I read did compare this film to Avatar and to Star Wars and there were quite a few moments that all I could think of was "wow the father figure is one powerful Mater Jedi". The costumes and sets and some of the story sequences were excellent. What really threw me was the horrendously poor mouth movements on the younger Kevin Flynn's mouth. It looked as if Jeff Bridges had some major Botox injected into his mouth and jaw. Very disconcerting on both the older and younger versions of the character. The first half of the film is the setup and we watch young Sam grow up and become the ultimate hacker against Encom a company of which he is a major stockholder, he really plays the "oh, poor me card", and considering he is playing a rich kid almost 30 who doesn't have to work but is still moping over his father's alleged abandonment at age 10 or so it gets to be a but much. In fact the first half of the film seems like a bit of a disconnect to the second half of the film. Why they even bothered casting a smarmy type as a CEO and another actor as the head of IT when you never see them again in the film. There was so much potential in the story line and new CGI technology that filmmakers think they don't have to provide a decent story and the result is a major deservice to the viewing audience. Overall the film was OK and I only spent $9.00 for the matinee price. I do think that most of the gaming crowd will enjoy this film. No blood, no guts, no sex, no bad language.

I think Disney had a great opportunity to create something unique here and it failed and that is sad.
    In response to the bolded part - I have heard a few rumblings that this part in particular was a set up for a third installment - if this one is successful.

I saw it in 3D and Imax. It was a bit overwhelming at times - the music was really loud. I didn't have a problem with it, but my husband had a headache when we left. I was surprised it wasn't "more" in 3D - the previews I saw for Pirates of the Caribbean 4 had more 3D in it then this movie did, so I was surprised by that. At the end of the day, I enjoyed it. It is never going to win an Oscar, but neither was the first one. We watched the first one the night before, which I was glad I had done because there were some one-liners and jokes that directly related back to the first movie. If I hadn't just seen it, I would have completely missed them. Bottom line, if you liked the first one, you will probably like this one. Oh, and as a woman - the guy playing Sam was yummy!!

I saw it in 3D too, and confess I came home with a headache as well. It was visually just stunning at times, but by the end I had had enough (or at least my eyes had had enough). I will have to watch the original again, I saw it too many years ago. I agree about the computer generated younger version of Jeff Bridges...sometimes it looked good and others it looked really fake to me. I guess that's not all bad, since he's not supposed to be "real". The guy playing Sam was good, and the girl was really beautiful I thought. It did feel like a set up for another sequel though.

My son was so excited to see this movie.......when he did, he came home and was like...bleh... not so great mom. He said he expected better and was not overly wowed with much. The effects were good but the overall story didn't come together as he had wanted it to. I haven't seen the original in 20 years so I can't even compare the new one yet. Gonna have a Tron-athon when we get back to the house and healthy so he can see the first one and then compare things to this one.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread