+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Just saw this in 3-D. LOVED IT!

If you're a fan of the books, you'll enjoy the movie. Some differences (aren't there always?), but the basic story is solid. Take tissues for the end.

Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I can't wait to see this! It looks SO good - I get teary every time I see the preview. lol

Do you think I'll be missing out if I go for the 2-d?

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now;4124847;
    I can't wait to see this! It looks SO good - I get teary every time I see the preview. lol

Do you think I'll be missing out if I go for the 2-d?
    Not at all. If I see it again, I'll see it in 2D. And I WILL see it again.

Saw the 2D version Sunday night. Sunday evening is a great time to see a movie as no one is at the theater. I was in a 500 seat theater with 6 other people. I am paying $11.50 for 1 adult ticket. The 3D tickets are going for $15.50. I find it ridiculous to pay that amount. If you go to an IMAX it is even more expensive. This film is perfectly watchable in 2D. It is a nice continuatlon from the first 2 films. I have to admit that there is a big difference casting between the US and the UK. In the US casting directors always pick the pretty children, even the evil ones but in the UK the uglier the better. Not to be too mean but cousing Eustace is very difficult to look at when he is in full pout mode. The screwed up face, eyebrows make him look like the actor had been eating lemons all week. I also thought the casting directors were not kind picking the girl to play Lucy as she was not that pretty initially but it was interesting to note the change in her features now that Georgie Henley is going through puberty.

As a straight fantasy adventure this film works well, it is less climatic without the major battle scenes the first and second films had. I think this movie is more about people battling personal demons and internal temptations. I don't think there was enough tension during these temptation scenes as it seemed the major characters had no major problem dealing with them. That lack of emotional depth is what hurts the film. There is a underlying theme of Christianity in the film. With the characters fighting temptation like Christ did and the parallel that Aslan is known by another name in Lucy and Edmond's world and they the children just need to look to find him.

I think the best character in this film is of course Reepiceep, the mouse, he adds so much to the film. I totally like how he helps cousin Eustace transform from a cowardly, whinny little brat to somewhat of a hero. Very good story arc here.

I do wonder if the films rest of the books will be made into films?

Overall, nice family entertainment. No blood, no sex, no bad language.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

AZChristian, did you find that the extra cost was worth it? What I mean by that is, were the 3D effects especially amazing? I'm taking my kids next week and I can't figure out to go 2D or 3.
    We saw UP in 3D but I actually enjoyed the 2D better... so I'm not sure what to do.

Bearcata, I'm looking forward to the Reepicheep scenes. We loved him so much we named our hamster for him.
    And hmm, the "ugly kids" warning may be another argument for 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4126434;
    AZChristian, did you find that the extra cost was worth it? What I mean by that is, were the 3D effects especially amazing? I'm taking my kids next week and I can't figure out to go 2D or 3.
    We saw UP in 3D but I actually enjoyed the 2D better... so I'm not sure what to do.

Bearcata, I'm looking forward to the Reepicheep scenes. We loved him so much we named our hamster for him.
    And hmm, the "ugly kids" warning may be another argument for 2D.
    The 3D was nice, but not necessary to our enjoyment of the movie. Hubby and I are both seniors who went to a matinee, so our "discount" tickets were $9.50 each. With our special promotional t-shirts and cups, we got our popcorn free and drinks for $1.

In the old days, 3D guaranteed a bunch of scary looking creatures jumping out from the screen. It's so different now. I compare it to watching a play vs seeing a 2D movie. There is depth to the scenes, but other than some water splashing, there was never a "gotcha" feel because of the 3D. If I had to pay for a couple of kids, I'd probably opt for the 2D.

Whichever you decide . . . enjoy!

Reepicheep spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When he lays down his sword and walks into Aslan's country at the end, I was a total sobbing basket case. If you love Reep, you probably will be, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4126506;
    Reepicheep spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When he lays down his sword and walks into Aslan's country at the end, I was a total sobbing basket case. If you love Reep, you probably will be, too.

OK, yeah, I cried.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Wish I had read this thread before I went to see the movie in 3D, I didn't want to be spoiled :/ I loved the movie, but while I'm generally a fan of 3D it didn't seem there was anything the 3D added to this movie. Wish I had saved the money and seen it in 2D.

It's been a long time since I read the books, and I kept asking my daughter about different parts. It's been awhile for her too, but she remembered so much more.

I didn't sob at the end, but my daughter was bawling. I was too distracted trying to figure out what characters would be in the next movie if they make one. DD said too that in the end of the book that Prince Caspian marries the star's daughter. That wasn't shown in the movie, but I guess that's easier to include one sentence in a book then to portray it visually.

+ Reply to Thread