+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Airbender

FORT Regular

Re: The Last Airbender

I saw the movie when it came out because my nieces got me hooked on the animated series. The film lacks the humor of the cartoon. Acting is patchy. Effects are amazing. It was really odd to hear the names pronounced differently - it took me about 3/4 of the movie to actually get over it. LOL. Not the worst movie but kind of disappointing overall for three huge fans of the show.

Part of the fun for me was spotting some locations that are literally within a few miles of my house that I visited a lot as a child!

I too am a fan of the cartoon thanks to my daughter. I would say I am more than a fan, close to obsessed lol. I heard about a year and half ago that this movie was coming out and was SOOO excited. Was kinda shocked that jesse mccartney was cast as zuko, TOTALLY didn't see it and that's when I started having my doubts. then the "racebending" issue. But with all I learned I expected there to not be much humor, and it be more action based. I tried to keep an open mind when I went in to the movie. I actually loved it. Taking to account that you cant fit a whole season into one movie and need to tweak things for the time allotted, to me it was a good movie. Now i wouldn't say its the best movie ever, and I too hope the next one will be able to be made so it can be better!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay;3982115;
    I too am a fan of the cartoon thanks to my daughter. I would say I am more than a fan, close to obsessed lol. I heard about a year and half ago that this movie was coming out and was SOOO excited. Was kinda shocked that jesse mccartney was cast as zuko, TOTALLY didn't see it and that's when I started having my doubts. then the "racebending" issue. But with all I learned I expected there to not be much humor, and it be more action based. I tried to keep an open mind when I went in to the movie. I actually loved it. Taking to account that you cant fit a whole season into one movie and need to tweak things for the time allotted, to me it was a good movie. Now i wouldn't say its the best movie ever, and I too hope the next one will be able to be made so it can be better!
    While I was excited to see this movie I knew it wouldn't be the same experience as watching a 3 season 60 + episodes animated show on commercial TV. While I enjoyed aspects of the film I didn't feel the joy that the animated series gave me. I did like the sets and costumes and in the limited time the film had that was done very well. The opening scenes of Katara and Sokka finding Aang were quite well done. I was surprised though that the previous avatars did not speak to Aang in the temple, but I did like how the dragon was his guide in his spirit quest. The fight scenes were good. Overall the movie wasn't that bad but it was missing a spark. I was very surprised as the venom the critics and the fans are throwing at the movie. I want there to be more movies, with a different director. I don't want the negativity toward the director to derail that this is a wonderful story and it would be great to see the entire story on film that is why I support this film. Unfortunately I think this film is being tarred with the fall of the director's career.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kao

More (original) Airbender news! ^_^

The creators of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” say that the new spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” will be more mature than the original show, but will still have the same sense of fun and adventure.

Nickelodeon, the network behind the original show, today announced that it will air the “Avatar” spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” (a working title) starting next year.

The first series took place in a world in which supernatural “benders” have the ability to manipulate the elements of air, earth, fire and water, and focused on Aang, a young airbender who turned out to be the Avatar, a person capable of controlling all the elements. The new series takes place 70 years later in the same world and follows the new Avatar, a teen girl named Korra who has learned to bend earth, water and fire and seeks to master air under the tutelage of Aang’s son, Tenzin.

Earlier this summer, director M. Night Shyamalan released a live-action theatrical version of the first series called “The Last Airbender” that was poorly received by critics, although it posted respectable numbers in early box office returns.

Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, the creators of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and “The Legend of Korra” took the time to talk to Speakeasy today about the new series.
    You can read the rest of the interview here:
    'Legend of Korra': The 'Avatar' Creators on the New Spinoff - Speakeasy - WSJ

Kao

More (original) Airbender news! ^_^

The creators of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” say that the new spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” will be more mature than the original show, but will still have the same sense of fun and adventure.

Nickelodeon, the network behind the original show, today announced that it will air the “Avatar” spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” (a working title) starting next year.

The first series took place in a world in which supernatural “benders” have the ability to manipulate the elements of air, earth, fire and water, and focused on Aang, a young airbender who turned out to be the Avatar, a person capable of controlling all the elements. The new series takes place 70 years later in the same world and follows the new Avatar, a teen girl named Korra who has learned to bend earth, water and fire and seeks to master air under the tutelage of Aang’s son, Tenzin.

Earlier this summer, director M. Night Shyamalan released a live-action theatrical version of the first series called “The Last Airbender” that was poorly received by critics, although it posted respectable numbers in early box office returns.

Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, the creators of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and “The Legend of Korra” took the time to talk to Speakeasy today about the new series.
    You can read the rest of the interview here:

'Legend of Korra': The 'Avatar' Creators on the New Spinoff - Speakeasy - WSJ

They showed this on the weekend on one of the cable channels and I watched the last hour. I must admit while the sets and costume design are wonderful the story is not bad if you haven't ever seen the animated series. What the movie misses that the animated series was all about was that Aang was fun. The movie has no spark of fun.

Why oh why do they let M. Night Shamalyn continue to destroy movies?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12