+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Loved going to see this movie except for my grandson who kept asking me if it was like the book! If he'd read it, he'd know. Silly boy!
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I want to see it so bad, but I haven't for 2 reasons.

1) I have no IMAX, 3D, fancy sound, or anything other than a bare bones theater.

2) The "To-be-continued" type ending would bother me until I saw the last installment. I read the books. I know how it ends, but I need closure in my movies. The others at least had a beginning, middle & end. Each movie had closure to it of that particular story.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4124316;
    . . . I have no IMAX, 3D, fancy sound, or anything other than a bare bones theater.
    The first time I saw it was in a theater like that. I still loved it. I understand what you're saying about the "to be continued," but the break was in a really good place with closure to that part of the story. It wasn't nearly as disconcerting to me as the second Star Wars movie, leaving poor Hans Solo in that freezing stuff.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4124347;
    The first time I saw it was in a theater like that. I still loved it. I understand what you're saying about the "to be continued," but the break was in a really good place with closure to that part of the story. It wasn't nearly as disconcerting to me as the second Star Wars movie, leaving poor Hans Solo in that freezing stuff.
    I agree... definitely go see it. While there's obviously more to come...he hasn't found all the horcruxes (sp?) for example...a major issue re their relationships gets resolved, and sides are drawn. It's a good stopping point...and really, in a sense, since there were always future volumes to come, all of the movies are somewhat to be continued. You always know that V. is out there.
    And while the IMAX is certainly nice it isn't in any way essential. I'm not sure I would have noticed a difference unless I saw them one right after another. There's no 3D in this movie, and IMAX is basically just a wider screen and fancy sound as far as I know. Since you are looking in the middle of the screen and no important action happens on the sides I don't see what you really miss. I guess it is a bit more of an immersion experience with IMAX, but this isn't Avatar, you don't really need that. Go see it so you can join the conversation! It won't be better on your TV screen!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4126943;
    It won't be better on your TV screen!
    Thanks, I needed that. That's probably exactly what I would have done. It's driving me nuts not to see it.
    I know this sounds a little pathetic, but I have nothing to do on Christmas.(It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.) Maybe I'll spend Christmas with Harry & friends.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

I saw it in a regular theater and it was FANTASTIC!!! I thought it actually was very accurate in terms of the book. The dancing scene was sweet to me, it showed how close they were and brought some levity to what is very, very dark period of the book. And it also showed that no matter how much she loved Harry, because he's her friend, she's in love with Ron and can't be happy for long without him.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4127249;
    Thanks, I needed that. That's probably exactly what I would have done. It's driving me nuts not to see it.
    I know this sounds a little pathetic, but I have nothing to do on Christmas.(It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.) Maybe I'll spend Christmas with Harry & friends.
    Taking in a movie on Christmas is a time-honored tradition. See it in your local theater. For me, Imax gives me vertigo (really), and I don't do 3-D... I don't like this technology which affects us neurologically - not in a bad way, but still... leave my optic nerves alone, thank you very much!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4128123;
    Taking in a movie on Christmas is a time-honored tradition. See it in your local theater. For me, Imax gives me vertigo (really), and I don't do 3-D... I don't like this technology which affects us neurologically - not in a bad way, but still... leave my optic nerves alone, thank you very much!
    The same thing happened with me when I saw New Moon. The camera goes around Bella in a circle and I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I can't imagine what I would've done if we'd seen it in IMAX. So I know exactly what you mean! That being said, How to Train Your Dragon looked awesome at the IMAX 3D.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4128123;
    . . . For me, Imax gives me vertigo (really), and I don't do 3-D...
    They always go through a verbal warning at the beginning of IMAX movies here, letting you know where to exit in case you feel ill. I've been lucky and never have had a problem . . . but I'm 64 and still do roller coasters!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4128494;
    The same thing happened with me when I saw New Moon. The camera goes around Bella in a circle and I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I can't imagine what I would've done if we'd seen it in IMAX. So I know exactly what you mean! That being said, How to Train Your Dragon looked awesome at the IMAX 3D.
    I think you have to pick and choose your battles with 3D and IMAX. I don't like that I am forced to pay extra and wear stupid glasses over my glasses. Don't need it, don't want it. For me so much of the movie experience is in my head that I don't really need the needless extras. I also feel everyone is jumping on the 3D bandwagon but for many movies it is totally unnecessary and does not add to the movie experience. I don't doubt that watching Avatar in 3D last Christmas was wonderful and the movie lends itself to 3D but the story still sucked.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread