+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4114849;
    I agree.
    I reread the book prior to seeing the movie which, if anything, was a bit of a disservice as I kept thinking "Why didn't they show that?" or "It didn't happen like that in the book." I did enjoy the movie overall however.
    That was perhaps my problem as well, CCL. My girls and I are just three chapters from finishing the book, so the details are very fresh in our minds. I found I did focus a lot on what they left out/changed, which perhaps tainted the movie experience for me. I do love the series though, I love the actors, and the entire story, so any time spent watching Harry Potter is time well spent in my eyes.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4114868;
    I do love the series though, I love the actors, and the entire story, so any time spent watching Harry Potter is time well spent in my eyes.
    A wonderful, succinct explanation which I may borrow when people ask me about my obsession with Potter.

Thanks!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4114868;
    That was perhaps my problem as well, CCL. My girls and I are just three chapters from finishing the book, so the details are very fresh in our minds. I found I did focus a lot on what they left out/changed, which perhaps tainted the movie experience for me. I do love the series though, I love the actors, and the entire story, so any time spent watching Harry Potter is time well spent in my eyes.
    I am so glad that they have been able to keep the same actors throughout the series, not only the core cast but also all the supporting characters (barring the change in actors playing Dumbledore which was done out of necessity rather than choice).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

OK, saw it last night. And I was waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen. Then I looked at my watch and saw I had been watching this film for and hour and a half and nothing exciting had happened. No big revelations, no action, just a lot of walking, walking, walking in desolate places. I have to admit that this film was better than the previous one were I practically fell asleep during the last half hour. I honestly cannot understand the big hoopla people make over this movie series. It is BORING. NOTHING HAPPENS. I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes and just to see Valdemort break into a grave and steal a wand. How exciting. If nothing else this movie should win DULLEST EVER PICTURE OF THE YEAR at the Academy Awards.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think that those who have read the books didn't expect a lot of action in this movie. The pay off will be the in the second instalment with the Battle of Hogwarts and the final scene in the forest, etc. I think the big thing to remember about this movie is that during those endless walking scenes, Harry really and truly grows up. He, and Hermione and Ron, learn more about themselves and about what they are capable of both alone and together, and finally Harry learns that he can stand alone and be strong, stronger than he ever imagined. Sometimes that kind of revelation comes in the quieter moments, I think. I love the final book, love it even more now that I am reading it the second time, with my kids. I think they did a great job with the pacing of the first part of the book, but I agree it is anti-climactic in a way considering all the other movies have ended with a big scene. I guess people just have to be patient and wait...the second part will be more than worth it I am sure.

I imagine by next Christmas they will have the entire movie dvd set available, in one long show. Hopefully with added scenes like the LOTR set I bought. There are a lot of things, some little, some not, that were left out of the movie. I'd like to see it as close to the book as possible, and would definitely buy the dvd set if I knew it was more fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4115689;
    OK, saw it last night. And I was waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen. Then I looked at my watch and saw I had been watching this film for and hour and a half and nothing exciting had happened. No big revelations, no action, just a lot of walking, walking, walking in desolate places. I have to admit that this film was better than the previous one were I practically fell asleep during the last half hour. I honestly cannot understand the big hoopla people make over this movie series. It is BORING. NOTHING HAPPENS. I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes and just to see Valdemort break into a grave and steal a wand. How exciting. If nothing else this movie should win DULLEST EVER PICTURE OF THE YEAR at the Academy Awards.
    Thank you! I also found the movie very boring. All I know is there is only 1 movie left in the series and I can put it all behind me.
    There's no place like home!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4115845;
    I think that those who have read the books didn't expect a lot of action in this movie. The pay off will be the in the second instalment with the Battle of Hogwarts and the final scene in the forest, etc. I think the big thing to remember about this movie is that during those endless walking scenes, Harry really and truly grows up. He, and Hermione and Ron, learn more about themselves and about what they are capable of both alone and together, and finally Harry learns that he can stand alone and be strong, stronger than he ever imagined. Sometimes that kind of revelation comes in the quieter moments, I think. I love the final book, love it even more now that I am reading it the second time, with my kids. I think they did a great job with the pacing of the first part of the book, but I agree it is anti-climactic in a way considering all the other movies have ended with a big scene. I guess people just have to be patient and wait...the second part will be more than worth it I am sure.
    Even as a huge fan, I was concerned that all the wandering around would be boring, but I think they put enough stuff in that part to keep it more interesting than that part of the book was. I loved the scene when Ron finally blew up and left. Those "kids" have become actors.

I've seen it twice so far - once in the regular theater, once with D-Box seats. And I'm headed up to the IMAX later today.

I understand that HP isn't everyone's cup of tea. I literally fell asleep 20 minutes into Lord of the Rings, and slept through the whole rest of the movie. Different strokes for different folks.

Now back to decorating the tree!!!!

(We have a lighted doe and stag in our front yard for the Christmas season. Every time I see them lit up at night, I wave an imaginary wand and say "Expecto Patronum"! Yep, I'm over the top.)
    Last edited by AZChristian; 11-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4116124;
    Even as a huge fan, I was concerned that all the wandering around would be boring, but I think they put enough stuff in that part to keep it more interesting than that part of the book was. I loved the scene when Ron finally blew up and left. Those "kids" have become actors.

I've seen it twice so far - once in the regular theater, once with D-Box seats. And I'm headed up to the IMAX later today.

I understand that HP isn't everyone's cup of tea. I literally fell asleep 20 minutes into Lord of the Rings, and slept through the whole rest of the movie. Different strokes for different folks.

Now back to decorating the tree!!!!

(We have a lighted doe and stag in our front yard for the Christmas season. Every time I see them lit up at night, I wave an imaginary wand and say "Expecto Patronum"! Yep, I'm over the top.)
    The BIG difference between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings that at least stuff happened in LOTRs.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I do not read the books and it took me a long time to warm up to the Harry Potter movies. I actually enjoyed this one a lot. I liked seeing them develop more into the young adults they are. I felt there was plenty of action. Different strokes as they say.

And I also found a lot of LOTR to be quite boring, although the eye candy was much better.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Loved LOTR. Love HP. Guess I'm just a fantasy nut. I have re-read LOTR many times over my life, and I will re-read HP many times as well, I'm sure. I think that for me, if the characters and the story are compelling...if I have someone to care about and to root for, then even the quiet moments are good. Having said that, though, I did find my attention wandering in the gollum scenes in LOTR and much preferred watching the action with Aragorn and the Riders of Rohan, etc. Perhaps it had something to do with Viggo, though. Hmmm, might have to go off and find an Aragorn avatar.

ETA...Found one! LOL Now, back to discussing HP and the DH
    Last edited by sweetpea; 11-29-2010 at 01:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread