+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Sorry to tease about the thing plot hole I thought I found, and then disappear over the weekend. Just in case I need to I will put it in spoilers although my kids have just about convinced me that what I thought was a plot hole wasn't one. Here's what I thought
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The whole rightful owner of the Elder wand was the key to killing Voldemort right? Then why if that was so important was Harry shown holding the wand in his hand when he goes into the Forbidden Forest to give himself up to Voldemort? Voldemort hit him with the killing curse effectively killing the part of him living in Harry (the horcrux) while Harry was holding the Elder Wand. Why didn't the allegience of the Elder wand transfer to Voldemort? My kids say it's because Harry wasn't disarmed nor was he truly "killed" therefore the allegience of the wand wasn't transferred to Voldemort. What do you think?

CCL

Sorry, I feel like I'm monopolizing this thread. But to reply:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry wasn't holding the elder wand in the forest, Voldemort was. As for why the elder wand didn't change allegiances after that scene, I would say your kids are right in that Harry wasn't really defeated (he gave himself up), nor did he really die.
    Last edited by CCL; 07-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry wasn't holding the elder wand in the forest, Voldemort was. As for why the elder wand didn't change allegiances after that scene, I would say your kids are right in that Harry wasn't really defeated (he gave himself up), nor did he really die.
    I agree with your assessment, CCL.

And further
    Click to see Spoiler:
    In the book, Harry has the Elder Wand placed back with Dumbledore's body (after he uses it to repair his original wand), because he knew that if he died a natural death, it would lose its power.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I agree with your assessment, CCL.

And further
    Click to see Spoiler:
    In the book, Harry has the Elder Wand placed back with Dumbledore's body (after he uses it to repair his original wand), because he knew that if he died a natural death, it would lose its power.
    I'm going to have to go back & re-read the end of the book. I could have sworn that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry threw the Elder Wand into some lake or other, & didn't tell anyone, so that no one could ever get it.

I'm at work, so I'll have to wait 'till tonight to look it up.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

CCL

I honestly didn't remember myself Miss Scarlett but I checked online and AZChristian is correct.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yep, AZChristian is correct. I'm about ready to go back and watch the final episode again.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I honestly didn't remember myself Miss Scarlett but I checked online and AZChristian is correct.
    I'm a major Harry Potter geek. It makes me do a happy dance when people say I'm correct in a discussion about the books/movies. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm a major Harry Potter geek. It makes me do a happy dance when people say I'm correct in a discussion about the books/movies. Thanks!
    Yes you are. I stand corrected. I have the book in front of me. The passage reads:
    "I'm putting the Elder Wand," he told Dumbledore, who was watching him with enormous affection and admiration, "back where it came from. It can stay there. If I die a natural death like Ignotus, its power will be broken, won't it? The previous master will never have been defeated. That'll be the end of it." Dumbledore nodded. They smiled at each other.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Click to see Spoiler:
    The whole Elder Wand thing is so confusing to me. I thought that although Voldemort had Dumbledore's physical wand (the Elder Wand), he didn't have it's full power. I thought Harry did because he disarmed Malfoy who disarmed Dumbledore. But, I always have trouble understanding and following that part of the story. Although I liked the idea of the "Deathly Hallows" and the story of the three brothers that accompanied it, I really wish JKR would have found a less confusing way to end the Harry/Voldemort thing. Plus, I never liked the fact that the deathly hallows wasn't even mentioned before the last book which made it seem like it was not intended throughout the whole book series. That's just me though being overly picky. I'm going to see the movie again next week. I always enjoy the HP movies more the second time around because I'm less obsessed with differences from the books. Thanks for everyone's input!

Quote Originally Posted by lark37 View Post
    The whole Elder Wand thing is so confusing to me. I thought that although Voldemort had Dumbledore's physical wand (the Elder Wand), he didn't have it's full power. I thought Harry did because he disarmed Malfoy who disarmed Dumbledore. But, I always have trouble understanding and following that part of the story. Although I liked the idea of the "Deathly Hallows" and the story of the three brothers that accompanied it, I really wish JKR would have found a less confusing way to end the Harry/Voldemort thing. Plus, I never liked the fact that the deathly hallows wasn't even mentioned before the last book which made it seem like it was not intended throughout the whole book series. That's just me though being overly picky. I'm going to see the movie again next week. I always enjoy the HP movies more the second time around because I'm less obsessed with differences from the books. Thanks for everyone's input!
    My husband hasn't read any of the books, and I felt it was my spousal responsibility to try to make sure he understood all of the intricacies of the Deathly Hallows vs Horcruxes parts of the story. When I tried to explain it to him, I realized how confusing it really is. I've read the books multiple times, and still learn something new or come to a deeper understanding with each reading.

Just a little fun fact when you go to see the movie again:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Watch the scene where "Bellatrix" and Ron are walking in Gringotts bank. Harry and Griphook are following them, covered with the Invisibility Cloak. When the camera shows their feet from the front, you can actually see Harry's feet as they peak out from the cloak. It's just a little fun thing that you really need to be looking for.

I've seen it 6 times (so far) . . . and will probably see it a couple of more times in the theater. And I'm not tired of it yet.

+ Reply to Thread