+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

CCL

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It should definitely be on dvd by Christmas. The lag time between theatrical release and dvd release has gotten very short - I think it's around three/four months now. They will probably have a big package for Christmas of all the films. That doesn't mean it won't still be in theatres in September (or even later). Sometimes movies come out on dvd now even when they are still playing in the theatre. I remember seeing the dvd for King's Speech and it was still playing in the theatres (and, no, it was not a pirated copy), for example.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Saw the movie yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed it. My older two children saw it opening night at midnight (my son saw it at Harry Potter World at Universal Studios Orlando lucky boy!). They were disappointed and didn't like it nearly as well as Part 1. So, I went into the movie expecting to not like it much, but surprisingly I did. I agree with my older two that it wasn't nearly as faithful to the book as Part 1, but still I really enjoyed it. I agree with those who say that certain important parts were glossed over too quickly though. I don't know how to put things in spoilers, so I'll wait until we don't have to anymore to ask a question about what I think is an important plot point or hole so to speak. I already obtained my kids opinion on it, but I'm curious as to everyone here's take on it.

CCL

Now I'm all interested lark! I really don't think we have to put things in spoilers any more. I've heard mods say as much in similar threads though I guess you could always pm one if you wanted to make double sure.

It's really easy to do, though... [ spoiler] at the beginning and [ /spoiler] at the end. I added a space after each [ so it wouldn't actually create a spoiler. By the way... if you ever forget, or want to know the word to write after : for a smiley, just click "reply with quote" at the bottom of the post and it will show you how it was originally written. You don't have to actually reply.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lark37 View Post
    Saw the movie yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed it. My older two children saw it opening night at midnight (my son saw it at Harry Potter World at Universal Studios Orlando lucky boy!). They were disappointed and didn't like it nearly as well as Part 1. So, I went into the movie expecting to not like it much, but surprisingly I did. I agree with my older two that it wasn't nearly as faithful to the book as Part 1, but still I really enjoyed it. I agree with those who say that certain important parts were glossed over too quickly though. I don't know how to put things in spoilers, so I'll wait until we don't have to anymore to ask a question about what I think is an important plot point or hole so to speak. I already obtained my kids opinion on it, but I'm curious as to everyone here's take on it.
    Or feel free to send me a private note. I've seen it 4 times (so far), and would love to discuss your question with you. Major FANatic here.

I went to the movie with my son yesterday. We really enjoyed it! Most of the changes from the book were understandable given the way that movies work and based on decisions made in previous movies. I felt like I spend most of the last half of the movie in tears. I cried all through the Snape's memories and then just as I was recovering they had the post-battle scene in the great hall. I think Snape's memories were my favorite part of the movie! I also thought Helena Bonham Carter did a great job in the scene where she was supposed to be Hermione in disguise. It was kind of amazing that she could be made up like Bellatrix and manage to not really look like her at all!!

I did have a few gripes with the movie that I will put in spoilers.
    Click to see Spoiler:

1. When Harry took the resurrection stone out of the snitch I was thinking that it was going to be confusing for people that have not read the book. I asked two people about it afterward who saw the movie without reading the book and they both had not gotten that part of the story. They did not make the connection between the resurrection stone and the ring horcrux at all. And both of them didn't get that it was the stone that brought his dead friends and family to him. Both of them expected the resurrection stone to help Harry survive the fight with Voldemort and it didn't make sense to them when he dropped it in the forest shortly after finding it.

2. The business with Harry "hearing" the horcruxes made it seem like finding them was too easy in the movie. I felt like this took away a bit from the characters who were faced with this monumental task and had to use their brains and commitment to find them.

3. In the book we get A LOT of information about Dumbledore's back story and Harry's confusion at feeling like he really didn't know him. Harry spends a lot of the book trying to figure out why Dumbledore left them this seemingly impossible task and questioning if Dumbledore was really cared. When he finally finds out the truth he is shocked by the idea that Dumbledore was trying to keep him safe so that he could "die at the right time". Even though he feels betrayed he makes this difficult decision to go to his death and he is utterly alone. This is emphasized by the fact that he tells no one about it. When I got to the part in the book when he gets the resurrection stone I was bawling because in his hour of need his closest dead friends and family were there to encourage him. In the movie he tells Ron and Hermione and says something like "I've suspected this for some time". To me that completely ruined the impact of the scene where he leaves to meet Voldemort.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-21-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    mom2 likes this.

CCL

Well it could be said
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that having the resurrection stone did help Harry survive Voldemort. When he went into the forest Harry was the owner of the three hallows - the cape (through his father), the stone (through Dumbledore) and the elder wand (as he had disarmed Draco). Even though he did not physically have the last two items with him (can't remember about the cloak. In the book he had it but I don't think so in the movie) he still was their rightful owner and, as the owner of the hallows is the master of death, that surely helped in his ability to "come back to life" as it were.

I agree with you about the lack of Dumbledore backstory.

That's a good point CCL!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I never thought the hallows had anything to do with Harry's survival. Dumbledore made it clear in Snape's memories that it was essential that Voldemort had to kill Harry himself, and I thought THAT bit was the key to Harry's survival. As long as Voldemort attacked him, he would destroy the piece of himself that was living in Harry rather than Harry himself.

CCL

I think it was a combination because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it was necessary for Voldemort to kill the part of himself in Harry so that the horcrux was eliminated. However the killing curse could have easily killed both the Voldemort bit in Harry along with Harry himself. That Harry was the owner of the hallows allowed him - just him and not the Voldemort bit in him, as Voldemort did not possess the hallows - to survive.

Thank you so much CCL!!!! I don't think I ever fully connected those dots. Now it makes a lot more sense.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread