+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3

I can't believe there's not a thread on this movie yet!

The 3rd installment of the franchise, TS3 is arguably one of the best Pixar has done. Reports are stating that the movie debuted with $109 million, making it the largest debut for a Disney•Pixar movie.

I grew up watching my Toy Story and Toy Story 2 VHS's on constant replay, so I was very excited to see this. Personally, I've been thinking that Pixar has gotten quite overrated over the past couple of years, but this movie was fantastic! I'd pay to go see it again. Yes, it is dark in a couple of seens, as you've probably heard. But overall, I think kids would love the movie. Adults, too.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Re: Toy Story 3

It's a box office hit because of nostalgia, there are more adults taking their kids to show them why they loved the movies and even adults just going alone (I know a number of dads who went as their Father's Day presents) than anything else.

However....

They've all been vastly disappointed, evidently it is not on the same level as the previous two or maybe the previous two are suffering from the "everything looks better in memory" syndrome. I'm not really sure which it is, I just know that the people I know who saw it yesterday and the many critics I've read said that "Yes, the movie is fantastic.....for any company other than the one that made the original 2." In other words, they were expecting so much more and it didn't deliver.

I won't be seeing it because I'm not paying all that money, my theater tacks on an extra $7 per ticket for the 3D effect!! That's insane, not paying that.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I read an interesting column recently (I think it was the NY Times, but could have been Time or Newsweek), comparing the fate of outgrown toys in The Velveteen Rabbit, the last Winnie-the-Pooh book (where the toys throw a goodby party for CR as he leaves for boarding school), and Toy Story... also the relationship between the unconditional self sacrificing love of toys for their owner and our fantasy of the love of parents for children.... and the similarity in TS of nursing home life and the toys' daycare center life....

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3943789;
    They've all been vastly disappointed, evidently it is not on the same level as the previous two or maybe the previous two are suffering from the "everything looks better in memory" syndrome. I'm not really sure which it is, I just know that the people I know who saw it yesterday and the many critics I've read said that "Yes, the movie is fantastic.....for any company other than the one that made the original 2." In other words, they were expecting so much more and it didn't deliver.

I won't be seeing it because I'm not paying all that money, my theater tacks on an extra $7 per ticket for the 3D effect!! That's insane, not paying that.
    I'm surprised Harmony, I've heard exactly the opposite. I don't personally know anyone who's seen it yet, but all the reviews I've read say it's wonderful. My "staycation" starts Friday, and that is one of several movies I'm looking forward to checking out. Part of the reason I've decided to spend the money instead of waiting for Netflix is because of all the great reviews I read I hope I won't be disappointed - but I think I'll take my chances. Besides, the only time I eat candy is at the movies...and I hate to miss out on an excuse for my favorite pop-corn/raisinette mix
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I thought it was fantastic! I've seen it twice already, and it was definitely worth it to me.

Although the whole movie was excellent, the ending is definitely the highlight and extremely well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3943789;
    It's a box office hit because of nostalgia, there are more adults taking their kids to show them why they loved the movies and even adults just going alone (I know a number of dads who went as their Father's Day presents) than anything else.

However....

I wholeheartedly disagree. I haven't read reviews as you describe them... everything that I've read has been overwhelmingly positive. There have only been 3 critics that have given it anything less than 100%, and one of them has already been declared a mole, of sorts, for his across-the-board positive reviews of fraternity schlock and negative reviews of top movies.

We loved the movie.. absolutely loved it. It absolutely lived up to the hype for me, but Toy Story 1 will always be my favorite. I love the variety of emotions that this movie evokes as they examine what happens when owners outgrow their toys.... or do they?

Not only did I see this in 3D, but also in IMAX and I also spent $20 on concessions. And I don't feel that one cent of my money was wasted. I'd do it again.

The Pixar short was adorable... and again.. do not leave until the credits have completed. The outtakes are still so funny. One with Mr. Potato Head, in particular.
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-22-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

my kids (7 & 4) saw the non-3D version on Sun. We all really liked it & didn't miss the whole 3D thing. All I can say is bring tissues.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I saw this movie Sunday in 3D. I thought the movie was good. I agree you will need tissues!

IMO Toy Story 1 was the best of all!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamom12;3946313;
    I saw this movie Sunday in 3D. I thought the movie was good. I agree you will need tissues!

IMO Toy Story 1 was the best of all!
    well since i am poor and won't get to see it til it gets to the 1.50 movie theather..lol...someone pm me and tell me whether Woody ends back up with Andy...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

PMing you now.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast