+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Story 3

FORT Fogey

Re: Toy Story 3

I saw it yesterday, and I have to say that this is the best movie I have seen this year. It's a deeper, more human drama than anything released so far and it's a far better heist film than the A-Team. I would say that it is arguably better than the previous two films, simply because it's willing to tap even deeper into the psychological experience of grief, betrayal, and friendship. And it raises the stakes for all the toys, touching on what happens when a toy is replaced as well as facing the risk of a horrible end together.

Despite all that serious stuff, it's very funny and full of adventure. Some great new characters include a Ken doll who falls hard for Barbie (natch!) and is something of a clothes horse himself. And a hedgehog toy who considers himself a master thespian.

And then, there is the end... oh my god, I haven't wept so much for so long at a film since I saw E.T..

If you plan to see it, two suggestions:
    • 3-d adds nothing really to this movie. Save some cash and see it in 2-d. * The exception is the cartoon short before the movie starts. It is an incredible six minute piece of creative 3-d animation. However some guys may want to see it in 3-d since the glasses will make it less obvious how much they are sobbing at the end.
    • Young kids who scare easily may find the end too intense. Use your own judgement

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3947591;
    I saw it yesterday, and I have to say that this is the best movie I have seen this year. It's a deeper, more human drama than anything released so far and it's a far better heist film than the A-Team.
    • 3-d adds nothing really to this movie. Save some cash and see it in 2-d. * The exception is the cartoon short before the movie starts. It is an incredible six minute piece of creative 3-d animation. However some guys may want to see it in 3-d since the glasses will make it less obvious how much they are sobbing at the end.
    It's funny you mention about the heist thing. My 7 yo daughter said to me during the movie, "wow, they really had a good plan!"

Also, I didn't like the short in the beginning, but I usually don't. I wonder if I would have liked it better in 3-D, guess we'll never know! I did watch all the Pixar shorts on TV a while ago & I like most of them better now, but they are all kind of out there to me.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Took the boys to see this in 3D tonight.
    I did like the short in the beginning. I found myself thinking that it wouldn't have been as effective in 2D though.

Also, as someone already mentioned, the glasses help hide the flood of tears.

(and yes, I was not only at the end, but for most of the movie)
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Okay, note to self: smuggle in a box of Kleenex!

I was a mess just from watching the online trailer. It hits very close to home as this was my son's favorite childhood movie and he is at the same stage of his life as Andy.

I thought parts of it were really scarey. I don't think my younger nieces could handle it.

And yes, I bawled at the end too. I think I was the only in the theatre who was. I felt stupid walking out sniffling.

All in all though, I LOVED IT. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I finally got to see it last night and was ready to bawl based on all I had heard. I snuck in four tissues and it wasn't enough! We were there in time to see the crowd ahead of us leaving and hubby got a little worried by the big burly men with red eyes!

I usually get disappointed by super hyped movies as well as 'you are going to cry!!' movies but this one really lived up to both. I thought it was fantastic. And I was glad for the glasses to hide the tears because after a bit, I just gave up and let 'em roll!
    Wag more, bark less

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I ran into friends there whose son (20) had gone to the midnight opening show as the series had been a childhood favorite for him. They have several children, most having just left the nest or being about to....and we were all sniffling.

last weekend Starz showed all 3 movies back to back several times and yes I had to watch...Toy story 3 was one of the best movies I have seen as a sequel..in fact both 2 and 3 lived up to the original...the end of 3 really had you scared and made you cry...lol

but I can't ever get enough Toy Story will watch them over and over again..I know I am grown but I love them

the only thing that didn't make sense to me in Toy Story 3 was that his mom had him packing his room for college like he would never be returning home at all..I mean he was just starting college...to me that was strange but I guess it was just part of the movie plot
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Finally saw this tonight and thought it was a perfect end to the trilogy. loved Ken and Spanish Buzz. The ending did me in.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast