+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Train Your Dragon

How To Train Your Dragon

I saw this movie yesterday, and I thought it was terrific! I think it's definitely among the best that Dreamworks has put out...if not THE best in terms of overall animation and story quality (well, apart from Kung Fu Panda and Shrek there's not much competition). Pixar has some serious competition this year from Dreamworks for Best Animated Feature with this film!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: How To Train Your Dragon

We saw the movie this morning with our kids and when we asked them which was their favorite part, they said they couldn't choose b/c they loved all of it! And my husband and I did too. We thought the story was great; it wasn't too 'kiddie' and it wasn't too old and the movie moved along really quickly. As soon as the credits came on, the kids both asked if we could buy it to watch at home. I told them not to worry, that I'd be taking them to see it again during Spring Break in a couple of weeks b/c Mommy wants to see it again. It was a great, great movie and I'd put it alongside the Shrek movies.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

This movie is based on a kid's book by author Cressida Crowell and here is a review: How To Train Your Dragon Book Review.

Well, Dreamworks did an outstanding job on this movie. I went to see the regular 2D version and my friends and I were amazed at the look and feel of the movie as the characters seemed three dimensional with out the aid of the glasses. The textures were amazing. I can only imagine how awesome this movie appeared in the 3D version.

Overall it is very good movie. Both adults and kids can relate. There is one scene between Hiccup and his father where the father is trying so hard to relate/talk to his son but cannot. It just reminded me of times when my dad tried to communicate with me but there was no common ground.

This movie deserves all the word of mouth it can get and hopefully it will do very well at the box office. In fact it would be an excellent family movie to see this Easter Weekend and Spring Break.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I agree completely. Bearcata, we did see it 3D and it was quite well done... one of the best 3Ds I've seen in some time. And this movie, both visually and storyline-wise, was hands down better than Up (disclaimer: I hated Up.)

Loved Hiccup, Toothless, and Astrid.. all of the characters, really. Hiccup's father's sidekick had some hilarious one-liners. Our theater crowd was honestly laughing through the vast majority of the movie; everyone was so into it!

And first movie in awhile that Jordan has come out of demanding to see it again. We'll go back this weekend... well worth the 3D prices.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Certainly wish I'd seen that last night instead of The Bounty Hunter! Was looking for something fun and frothy, no such luck!

I totally agree with all of the good reviews. We saw it yesterday and it was well worth the extra cost for 3D. The storyline was well done and the characters were charming and very likeable. All of my kids(even the 3 year old who rarely sits still for an entire movie) were glued to the screen and cheering on Hiccup and Toothless. One of the best animated movies I've seen in a while...and believe me, we see them all.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Out of the blue last week, our 17 year old son said that he thought it would be good based on what he'd heard so we all went to the 2-D version last weekend. It was terrific!!! Not too scary for little kids (and there were plenty of those at our showing) but with a good story line for the older kids and adults. The animation was wonderful.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Loved this movie!!! Hiccup and Toothless are awesome!! I also liked Astrid. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We saw this for the 2nd time yesterday and the kids mentioned it not being fair to Daddy that we saw it 2 times and he only saw it once, so I'm all for seeing it a 3rd time. Such a magical movie; I just love watching the flying sequences in 3D.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Hubby took the kids aged 12 and 10 to this last night. They all raved about it and want to see it again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast