+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief

I'm really enjoying the book, now I can't wait to see the movie.

It's the 21st century, but the gods of Mount Olympus and assorted monsters have walked out of the pages of high school student Percy Jackson's Greek mythology texts and into his life. And they're not happy: Zeus' lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Even more troubling is the sudden disappearance of Percy's mother. As Percy finds himself caught between angry and battling gods, he and his friends embark on a cross-country adventure to catch the true lightning thief, save Percy's mom, and unravel a mystery more powerful than the gods themselves.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Re: The Lightening Thief

I'm reading the 3rd book now and I think I will take my son to see this on the weekend.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Our 12 and 10 year olds have read the books, the hubby and I have read the first one, they are so creative and fun! We are having a family movie night this Friday, can't wait to see this movie and talk about it with the kiddos!

Just got back from seeing this. It was fantastic. Very very different from the novel but the story itself stands up. Even my 7 year old daughter who had no interest whatsoever enjoyed it. I thought the action was great, as well as the CGI stuff and the acting was pretty good from a predomiantly teen aged cast.

Added bonus was the trailer for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, my 10 year old almost lost his mind. LOL

Sitting in the theatre right now. Thx for the enthusiastic review CantinaBandFan. I just told my 12 and 10 year old that we get a Diary Wimpy Kid trailer too, they are amused.

Re: The Lightning Thief

Just got home, LOVED it! Very entertaining, the audience cheered and stay through the credits, you don't want to miss it!

I absolutely loved it, but my 10 year old nephew and his 9 year old friend came out of there steaming mad! Jordan ranted for HOURS about how it was the worst adaptation of a book EVER. (I giggled the entire time.)

I thought it was highly entertaining, but I haven't read the book yet (I did, however, start reading it this morning.) Apparently the changes from the book were just too much for him to take (right down to the fact that Annabeth is clearly described in the book as having golden blonde hair and in the movie she is a brunette.) Again, I laughed.

The lead kid actor was soooo this year's Zac Efron. The way he spoke, his mannerisms.... Zac Efron.

Kevin McKidd....

The worst thing that I could say about it is that Long Island does not have mountains. Sheesh.

talldede... it was funny.. everyone was filing out of our theater when the credits came on. Everyone FROZE and was dead silent. It was perfect. Loved it!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Hey Broadway! I didn't want to say this early on, but the movie is quite different from the book, significantly so. But, with that said, the changes made from the book were good to great,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the addition of the Parthenon in Nashville was fantastic!

My kids who are avid fans of the books, were not disappointed at all, we discussed the differences, the changes, some they agreed with, some not so much, but realize from the Harry Potter movies, it's hard to include every single element from book to screen. Also, the lead actors were great,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Grover, while in the book a bit timid and nervous, Grover in the movie was humorous and cocky, loved that change.

In our opinion, we got our money's worth, it was highly entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread