+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Name Is Khan

My Name Is Khan

Okay, this movie is one movie that I am super-excited for-not only is it the first Bollywood movie to get a significant release in the US (FOX Searchlight has picked it up), but it brings together probably the most beloved duo in recent memory-Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. It opens on February 12th.

The basic plot of the movie: Rizwan Khan (SRK) is a Muslim man who has Asperger's Syndrome. He grew up in Mumbai, but moves to San Fransisco where he meets Mandira (Kajol), a Hindu. They get married, and life is good-but 9/11 changes it all. Events happen that lead to the separation of Rizwan and Mandira, and Rizwan is detained and arrested at LAX, when his Asperger's is mistaken for suspicious behaviour. He then goes on a cross-country journey to not only meet President Obama, but to win back his wife.

I mean, as much of an overactor as SRK can tend to be, this movie has been extremely eagerly awaited for months, and it's very culturally relevant.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Re: My Name Is Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3809558;
    Okay, this movie is one movie that I am super-excited for-not only is it the first Bollywood movie to get a significant release in the US (FOX Searchlight has picked it up), but it brings together probably the most beloved duo in recent memory-Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. It opens on February 12th.

The basic plot of the movie: Rizwan Khan (SRK) is a Muslim man who has Asperger's Syndrome. He grew up in Mumbai, but moves to San Fransisco where he meets Mandira (Kajol), a Hindu. They get married, and life is good-but 9/11 changes it all. Events happen that lead to the separation of Rizwan and Mandira, and Rizwan is detained and arrested at LAX, when his Asperger's is mistaken for suspicious behaviour. He then goes on a cross-country journey to not only meet President Obama, but to win back his wife.

I mean, as much of an overactor as SRK can tend to be, this movie has been extremely eagerly awaited for months, and it's very culturally relevant.
    Do you mean President Bush, as 9/11 was in 2001 and it is now 9 yrs later. Where was he all this time?? In detention??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

When I first ventured into Bollywood movies, I was really surprised that Shahrukh Khan was in EVERY one of the ones I randomly dropped in my Netflix queue. I just assumed his acting style was representative of the movie culture in India. I will certainly check this one out on DVD, but I don't plan to make a trip to the theater for it.

The plot line of being detained at LAX seems really ironic given that he was actually detained at a US airport last summer.
    Bollywood actor detained at Newark airport - CNN.com

When he was detained at Newark, the furor surrounding it was absolutely insane-because comparing him, on a star-power level, to Brad Pitt would be an insult to SRK.

As far as the journey to meet the President goes, the story takes place in the years between 9/11 and President Obama's inaguration. He is in jail for part of it, but the rest, I don't know.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

+ Reply to Thread