+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones

I liked it. I cried. I was surprised by the ending, not what I expected. I had read some reviews critizing Peter Jackson the director on doing such a bad job on this movie, considering what a great job he did on Lord of the Rings. I think he did a great job. Loved some of the visuals of Susie Salmon in her waiting place. While the subject of a neighbor abducting young girls is horrific what they showed in the movie is how it can tear families apart, scar them and yet also show the healing process.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: The Lovely Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3806827;
    I liked it. I cried. I was surprised by the ending, not what I expected. I had read some reviews critizing Peter Jackson the director on doing such a bad job on this movie, considering what a great job he did on Lord of the Rings. I think he did a great job. Loved some of the visuals of Susie Salmon in her waiting place. While the subject of a neighbor abducting young girls is horrific what they showed in the movie is how it can tear families apart, scar them and yet also show the healing process.
    I thought the storyline of the father and sister trying to find the killer was fantastic. The thing that bothered my was the whole "Susie is in the inbetween" storyline. I guess for me it was too much weirdness... I enjoyed the film and the ending surprised me as well.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I saw this film over the weekend. I found it really disappointing. I think for me it just didn't capture the feel of the book. My biggest gripes:
    • While it showed some of the family healing process, in the book the breakdown was so much more severe that it was much more emotional when they came back together. I thought the mom was much more sympathetic in the movie, prob because they cut out her affair with the detective.
    • We did not see Ruth and Ray enough to really get the point of their characters.
    • They way that they transitioned between Suzie and earth was choppy and a bit confusing. They implied that she was able to affect things on earth too much (IMO).
    • The timeline for the film seemed to be compressed. In the book her friends and siblings grew up over the course of the story, but this movie seemed to cover a few years and then they slapped on a "later on" sequence at the very end. Having Suzie watch everyone continue their lives over so many years in the novel really did a fantastic job conveying her longing and sadness that they all got to move on and have experiences that she would never be able to have. This was a big negative for me - the actress playing Suzie was good, but I didn't get that feeling from her.
    I thought Susan Sarandon was the highlight of the movie. She was excellent as the grandmother.

It was not humanly possible to show a movie 100% true to the book without it being 4 hours long and including all the marital issues etc. Maybe they could have done a time lapse thing, but yeah, it would be difficult to convey ( showing the changing of the seasons, easy, changing of people, hard ...and would require additional casting perhaps).
    I think it was admirably done, though a few minutes of CGI effects seem to be just thrown in with no purpose.

Oddly i did like that they didn't change the demise of the villian. I expected them to throw in a more dramatic ending, I rather liked that they didn't.

I think I liked this movie more than most people do. I wanted a different ending, but the one they gave, I guess was sufficient. I wanted it done officially so to speak for Susie and the attacker.

I was also bothered a bit by the things that happened to Susie in the waiting place. I don't think that a child in that place should suffer fear or anxiety. That's just me. I thought there was too much of that there for that child.

FORT Newbie

it was a good movie overall, definately worth renting

+ Reply to Thread