+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Book of Eli

Book of Eli

Better than I thought it would be. B+ (for the nice twist at the end) When I first saw the trailers, I was thinking of what is Denzel Washington doing in a Bruce Willis film. I mean the post apocalyptic world, action film screams Bruce Willis. The film is done is mostly sepia tones like old photographs of the late 1800's. It's 30 yrs after the war, the big flash. You really don't know what happened, it is never explained except that religion was blamed and all the bibles were burned. In fact it's not even necessary to know that fact until the end of the movie. This movie initial plays like a western where the stranger comes to town not looking for trouble and the town bullies want to have a little fun. No sex, very little blood and gore. No bad language except for a God Damn once or twice. Jennifer Beals of FlashDance has a nice little cameo and the mother. You can take younger kids cause I am sure their video games are more violent then this movie.

I do wonder if their will be any backlash from the religious sectors about this movie?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

MRD

Re: Book of Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3799090;
    Better than I thought it would be. B+ (for the nice twist at the end) When I first saw the trailers, I was thinking of what is Denzel Washington doing in a Bruce Willis film. I mean the post apocalyptic world, action film screams Bruce Willis. The film is done is mostly sepia tones like old photographs of the late 1800's. It's 30 yrs after the war, the big flash. You really don't know what happened, it is never explained except that religion was blamed and all the bibles were burned. In fact it's not even necessary to know that fact until the end of the movie. This movie initial plays like a western where the stranger comes to town not looking for trouble and the town bullies want to have a little fun. No sex, very little blood and gore. No bad language except for a God Damn once or twice. Jennifer Beals of FlashDance has a nice little cameo and the mother. You can take younger kids cause I am sure their video games are more violent then this movie.

I do wonder if their will be any backlash from the religious sectors about this movie?
    I just had a very religious friend tell me that they thought it was great except for the use of the "F" word and all the violence.
    I figure she doesn't watch movies like this too often and it IS an action flick, so just took it with a grain of salt about the violence. But she was upset about the "F" word.
    Now I'm wondering if it really was in there if you're saying that it's ok for kids.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3799606;
    I just had a very religious friend tell me that they thought it was great except for the use of the "F" word and all the violence.
    I figure she doesn't watch movies like this too often and it IS an action flick, so just took it with a grain of salt about the violence. But she was upset about the "F" word.
    Now I'm wondering if it really was in there if you're saying that it's ok for kids.
    I honestly didn't hear the F word. I heard a couple of God Damns. I wouldn't take a very young child to see this movie but as far and violence and gore. The Saw movies to me are violent and gory and have blood spurting everywhere and I would never take kids to see those. The Book of Eli is an action picture there are fight scenes, but the majority are physical, martial arts types fights. There are shot em ups but the victims fall down, there is very little blood spurting. There is a hand cut off at the very beginning but that is the grossest scene in the movie. The film is very much like the Saturday afternoon movie westerns I used to watch as a kids. Oh, yeah, a couple of cars get blown up too. But I would think any child, especially a young boy of 8 and up has seen worse in any video game. If you took your child to see Avatar and they could take the battle scenes there you can take them to see this film. The main difference between Avatar and this film is that Avatar has beautiful overall visuals and the Book of Eli is a grim washed out post apocalyptic world. Think Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood of old but without the great film scores.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I read this thread right before heading out to see "The Book of Eli." I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I counted the "f-bombs" because of the discussion here. There were 13. I didn't hear any "gd's" . . . but there were a couple of other minor swear words.

As a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I was interested to see Gary Oldman (good guy Sirius Black) play a villain. What really surprised me was that halfway through the scene with the old folks in the house, I realized that George was Dumbledore from the last 4 Potter movies. Totally cracked me up! And then adding up one and one and figuring out why they had meat when no one else did . . .

I really liked this movie, and would like to see it again to pick up on the hints throughout the movie about what was revealed about Eli at the end.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Shows how innured to the F word we've all become!
    Bearcata, maybe you mean Mel Gibson, not Bruce Willis? Mad Max is Mel's territory!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806376;
    Shows how innured to the F word we've all become!
    You know I honestly didn't hear the f word said...goes to show.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806376;
    Bearcata, maybe you mean Mel Gibson, not Bruce Willis? Mad Max is Mel's territory!
    Nah...definitely, Bruce Willis came to mind for some reason.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3806370;
    As a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I was interested to see Gary Oldman (good guy Sirius Black) play a villain.
    As a huge Gary Oldman fan I can assure you that Sirius Black is probably the ONLY "good character" that he's played; most of his roles range from either morally ambivalent to downright evil.

I'm glad he's in it, and Denzel in anything is always good, so I'll check this out. Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread