+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3827484;
    I was actually hoping that Star Trek would get nominated over The Blind Side because it was more popular and I believe had better reviews, but I think the voters thought two scifi movies was enough

And I've never heard of The Secret of Kells until it was nominated, so I ended up watching it online(bad, I know but I don't think it has even been released in the US yet.) And I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the artistic style it was animated in, and the story was interesting, and dealt with the love of art. I think this years competition for Best Animated Feature is the strongest it's ever been by a longshot---i.e. any of them could win it and it'll still be a good choice(although UP is still my fav and the best )
    That's what my guess was also. Looking into it, it seems that a SciFi flick has never won Best Picture. I thought LOTR fell into that category, but it's technically a Fantasy film. There are certain genres that are not that well-received by the Academy (SciFi, Animated, Children, etc), so it's always cool to see new genres win...

...but hopefully not this year. I don't want Avatar to win, and truth be told, if the competition really is between that and The Hurt Locker (with I. Basterds as the possible spoiler), I really hope THL takes it. I would be really disappointed with an Avatar win.

And very true about the nominess for Best Animated Picture! I don't care what anyone says, I think 2009 has been a solid years for movies altogether. I've only seen Up and The Princess and the Frog, but they all seem very deserving of the award. Up is the obvious winner though. Maybe I'll un-italicize The Secret of Kells and check it out online. Most of the time, I would feel major guilt for watching a movie online for free, but knowing that it had no US release, I wouldn't feel so guilty.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Predictions, anyone? I know it's the last minute, but here are mine. (Go here for the official list of nominees.)

A lot of categories are a lock, but I think we will see an upset in Best Pic and Actress. (Put Streep and Bullock's performances side by side and there is just no comparison. Bullock gave a great movie star performance, Streep on the other hand is actually an actress.)

I’m also going with the long shot for Best Pic. Why not? If I’m wrong no one will remember. If I’m right I’m a genius.

BEST PICTURE: Inglourious Basterds
    BEST DIRECTOR: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
    BEST ACTOR: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
    BEST ACTRESS: Meryl Streep 'Julie & Julia'
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Mo’Nique, Precious
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Inglourious Basterds
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Up in the Air
    CINEMATOGRAPHY: The Hurt Locker
    FILM EDITING: Avatar
    ART DIRECTION: Avatar
    COSTUME DESIGN: The Young Victoria
    ORIGINAL SCORE: Up
    ORIGINAL SONG: “The Weary Kind” from Crazy Heart
    SOUND: Avatar
    SOUND EDITING: The Hurt Locker
    MAKEUP: The Young Victoria
    VISUAL EFFECTS: Avatar
    FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: The White Ribbon
    ANIMATED FEATURE: Up
    DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: The Cove
    DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
    ANIMATED SHORT: A Matter of Loaf and Death
    LIVE ACTION SHORT: The New Tenants

I want these to win:

BEST PICTURE: The Blind Side
    BEST DIRECTOR: Kathryn Bigelow
    BEST ACTOR: Jeff Bridges
    BEST ACTRESS: Gabourey Sidibe
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christoph Waltz
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Mo’Nique

I predict these will win:

BEST PICTURE: Avatar
    BEST DIRECTOR: Kathryn Bigelow
    BEST ACTOR: Jeff Bridges
    BEST ACTRESS: Sandra Bullock
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christoph Waltz
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Mo’Nique

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

The only award I have high interest in is director. I truly hope that Kathryn Bigelow wins!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3849765;
    The only award I have high interest in is director. I truly hope that Kathryn Bigelow wins!
    Is that because of her outstanding directing skill, or do you have revenge fantasies involving an ex-husband?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3849848;
    Is that because of her outstanding directing skill, or do you have revenge fantasies involving an ex-husband?
    LOL! No revenge at all, though now that you mentioned it.

I was blown away, pun intended by The Hurt Locker. From the camera angles, the cinematography, the sheer terror captured in the eyes of the actors, I just think it was superb movie making.

And, yes, I'm proud that she is female, nominated not for a rom-com or drama, but a gritty, intense war flick. She rocks!

I would make predictions, but I'm too lazy. Anyway, it seems that most of the big awards are locked up.

Who else is excited for tonight? I know I am. Not only am I obsessed with the Oscars, but also it's the only time when I can discuss something on FoRT live, living on the west coast and all.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I'm excited! I've always watched the Oscars and this is the first year I'll watch on my new big screen TV.

Ok, I am watching the red carpet stuff and I have to say that James Cameron's wife looks like a skeleton! Not attractive at all
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3849958;
    Ok, I am watching the red carpet stuff and I have to say that James Cameron's wife looks like a skeleton! Not attractive at all
    Probably she looks that way due to marriage to him.

She actually was beautiful years ago when she was a model.
    I'm just amazed that Mr. Cameron's only 55 years old. I thought he was more like 70.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread