+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3809947;
    seriously, it's obvious Best Director and Best Picture is Avatar.
    Monique is a sure bet for best supporting actress
    No, no it's not. Kathryn Bigelow and The Hurt Locker are still in the running. If the voters want to go the popular route, then they'll follow the Golden Globes and go for Avatar. But if they want to judge on what's actually deserving, then THL wins hands down, for both categories.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3810954;
    No, no it's not. Kathryn Bigelow and The Hurt Locker are still in the running. If the voters want to go the popular route, then they'll follow the Golden Globes and go for Avatar. But if they want to judge on what's actually deserving, then THL wins hands down, for both categories.
    I absolutely agree. Avatar and Cameron are both way overrated this award season. Pretty much all of the other potential nominees are more deserving and better: Bigelow, Daniels, Reitman, The Hurt Locker, Precious, Up in The Air, ect.

As I have said before, if they wanted to go the popular route(and subsequently make history in awarding a Sci Fi or Animated film), Up and District 9 are much better and original movies than Avatar, and extremely well directed also.

FORT Fogey

i agree with you all but wasn't that the same case with titanic? popularity?

True, but Avatar has the misfortune of coming after Titanic. Voters will take into account that this year's ceremony will resemble the 1998's ceremony, in that voting for Avatar over The Hurt Locker would be like voting for Titanic over LA Confidential. And they're both films with James Cameron's name. It seems voters don't really like awarding the same thing continuously. Look at Meryl Streep; the biggest thing that is forcing her to come up short is her past 2 wins and her billion kajillion nominations. The Academy usually vote for the most deserving nominees anyway, unlike the Golden Globes.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but Titantic seems to have been more well-received than Avatar. The popular audience loves it, but critics focus on its cliched and unoriginal story.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Kathryn won big at the DGA (Directors Guild of America) Awards. This means she will most likely win the Oscar for Best Director, as the DGA has been pretty accurate in matching up the eventual winner of the Oscar. They've only been wrong 6 times since they've began handing out awards back in the 40s.

Saw Julie & Julia a couple days ago, and I thought Meryl was fantastic. Let's just see if the voters will award Meryl or Sandra.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

The nominees are out! The Hurt Locker and Avatar both tie with 9 noms each. Complete list here. And Congrats to Kathryn Bigelow for her DGA win, woot!

IMDb | Road to the Oscars 2010 | Academy Awards

Woohoo! I'm so excited for UP and District 9 getting Best Picture Nominations!

I probably should have commented sooner on the nominations being released. Oh well, better late than never.

I had forgotten to watch the press release live, but I don't know if I could have woken up around 5 am to watch it. So I just watched it online after school. There were a few things that stuck out to me.

Maggie Gyllenhaal - Whoa! Didn't see this one coming. I have followed this Oscar race more than I ever had in the past, and I had not seen her name pop up in the precursors all that much. I was trying to figure out who had gotten snubbed in her place. After a while, I had figured out that it was Julianne Moore. Oh well, Julianne will get that Oscar eventually!

The Blind Side - Major WHOA! How in the hell did this get a nom for Best Picture? While watching the announcement online, I literally shouted, "WHAT THE!?" when it was announced. I'm guessing that Sandra's popularity within the voters pushed this one on the list, most likely leaving Invictus out of the running. And looking on the blind bright side, it may bring in more viewers with its popularity.

Star Trek over District 9 - I expected one of these, or possibly both, to make it onto the list of Best Picture noms. I wanted to see Star Trek get it, so I was a little saddened to see District 9 instead. Granted, I haven't watched D9 yet, but I really liked Star Trek when it came out.

No (500) Days of Summer or Where the Wild Things Are - These two were on my list of movies to watch before the big ceremony. But now I have less of an incentive to see both of these movies. But whatever, I think I'll eventually watch them, like I will with Moon. All movies that I'ved heard great things about but walked away empty-handed.

The Secret of Kells - It was nominated for Best Animated Picture. When its name popped up, I was confused. I hadn't heard of it at all.

Hm, and with the nominations released and the ballots out, I really have to get going on this list.

Every Nominated Film!
    Ajami
    The Blind Side
    Bright Star
    Burma VJ
    Coco avant Chanel

Coraline
    The Cove
    Crazy Heart
    Das weisse Band (The White Ribbon)
    District 9
    An Education
    El secreto de sus ojos
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Faubourg 36
    Food, Inc.
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    The Hurt Locker
    The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

In the Loop
    Inglourious Basterds
    Invictus
    Il divo
    Julie & Julia
    La teta asustada
    The Last Station
    The Lovely Bones
    The Messenger

The Most Dangerous Man in America
    Nine
    Precious
    The Princess and the Frog

The Secret of Kells
    A Serious Man
    Sherlock Holmes
    A Single Man
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    Un prophète (A Prophet)
    Up
    Up in the Air

Which Way Home
    The Young Victoria

Excluding the short films, that's the list of every single movie that is nominated, for the big awards and for the technical awards. I crossed out those that I've seen, and I italicized those that I have no interest in seeing. Anyway, most of them are for technical awards. I think it'll be fine if I skip out on them.

Coraline, The Cove, Das weisse Band, District 9, An Education, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Food Inc., In the Loop, Inglourious Basterds, Nine, A Serious Man, A Single Man, and Transformers are the ones that are remaining on my list, plus (500) DoS, WtWTA, and Moon. I think I can get to most of them.

I recently watched Julie & Julia and Crazy Heart. The performances from the nominess of both films were great.
    ______________________________ ______________________________

Anyway, what about the race?

The supporting categories are pretty much locked, we all know that. But I've been reading that Maggie Gyllenhall and Stanley Tucci could be possible spoilers. I highly doubt it though.

Best Actor is also seemingly obvious, but apparently, it's Jeff Bridges vs. Jeremy Renner. I still think it's going to be Jeff, as it should be. I love it when a veteran who has been nominated numerous times gets the Oscar for a role that is actually deserving. In other words, it wouldn't be a retroactive win. As for Jeremy, I'm a little shocked that bloggers are saying that he's the other horse in this this two-horse race. For a long time, he was considered as the nominee that barely snuck into the category. Now they're really noticing his great performance. But I think Jeff wins in this one, as he should.

Best Actress is still Meryl Streep vs. Sandra Bullock. Nothing new. But I still think Gabby or Carey could spoil it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3827432;
    I probably should have commented sooner on the nominations being released. Oh well, better late than never.

I had forgotten to watch the press release live, but I don't know if I could have woken up around 5 am to watch it. So I just watched it online after school. There were a few things that stuck out to me.

The Blind Side - Major WHOA! How in the hell did this get a nom for Best Picture? While watching the announcement online, I literally shouted, "WHAT THE!?" when it was announced. I'm guessing that Sandra's popularity within the voters pushed this one on the list, most likely leaving Invictus out of the running. And looking on the blind bright side, it may bring in more viewers with its popularity.

Star Trek over District 9 - I expected one of these, or possibly both, to make it onto the list of Best Picture noms. I wanted to see Star Trek get it, so I was a little saddened to see District 9 instead. Granted, I haven't watched D9 yet, but I really liked Star Trek when it came out.

The Secret of Kells - It was nominated for Best Animated Picture. When its name popped up, I was confused. I hadn't heard of it at all.
    I was actually hoping that Star Trek would get nominated over The Blind Side because it was more popular and I believe had better reviews, but I think the voters thought two scifi movies was enough

And I've never heard of The Secret of Kells until it was nominated, so I ended up watching it online(bad, I know but I don't think it has even been released in the US yet.) And I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the artistic style it was animated in, and the story was interesting, and dealt with the love of art. I think this years competition for Best Animated Feature is the strongest it's ever been by a longshot---i.e. any of them could win it and it'll still be a good choice(although UP is still my fav and the best )

+ Reply to Thread