+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

I watched The Hangover about a month after it was released. By that point, I could not get away from the incessant praise from everyone I knew, saying how hilarious it was. So I came into it with high expectations, but I laughed only a few times. So yeah, it's really unfortuate that my expectations were so high, because whenever I have high expectations, they're almost never met. I couldn't get away from all the praise though! Every magazine, every internet article about the movie industry, every facebook status, it was all about how well it was doing at the box office and how funny it was.

Up is another one I find a bit overrated. If I have to be honest, I enjoyed The Princess and the Frog more than Up. But Up was still solid, and it's a shoe-in to win Best Animated Picture and to get nominated for Best Picture. I just wish TPatF would have that recognition.

I just watched The Hurt Locker, and I think I might have liked Up in the Air better. But that's just because I usually like drama/comedy films more than straight-up action flicks. THL was still very good though. It was well-acted and very realistic. I just really liked the ensemble of UitA, and its message was nice. I would be glad to see both of them win, but I'll give the edge to THL since it's a strong, solid piece of work.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

With the SAG awards down, I will admit that I will be fine with Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress. I didn't think her performance was all that groundbreaking, but it was still a solid performance from her nonetheless. I guess the voters love it when actors can keep a fake accent throughout the whole movie and make it sound real. I think SaBu's whole career helps her campaign, as this truly is the best performance she has done. Voters will probably take that into account and award her for it. I did support her a lot in the past, so if she does win, then I won't be too upset.

In other news, The Hurt Locker won big at the PGAs, when Avatar was highly believed to win. Also, Inglourious Basterds won for Best Ensemble at the SAGs, which is their equivalent to Best Picture. So the race is still on! I would say Jeff Bridges is a near lock for Best Actor at this point, and with the supporting categories almost certainly determined, only Best Actress, Best Picture, and Best Director will have the suspense (I really don't get all that worked up over the Screenplay awards, sorry ).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I'll be disappointed if Sandra Bullock wins the Oscar because it will prove that the Academy Awards is turning into a popularity contest. To some degree, it always has been, but I like to think that the awards will go to people who really gave the best performance of the year, or at least one of the best. I think that, if she wins, it will show how weak the actress category was this year. Lead Actress never goes to someone in a comedy (at least I can't think of one), so that leaves Meryl Streep out, although I think her performance in Julie and Julia was superior. I didn't see Precious, but based on the reviews I read of all of the movies, Gabby Sidibe gave the best dramatic performance of the year, at least of the ladies who're being nominated for awards this season.

My favorites rarely win at the Oscars anyway, so this year probably won't be any different!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Dangit, Critical, why'd you have to post that? Now I'm back to being unhappy about Sandra's eminent win!

(BTW, the most recent BA winner for a comedic role is Helen Hunt, who won in 1997 for As Good as It Gets. Yes, I had to look it up. ).

Oh well, I'll eventually accept her win. It's not like I'm wholeheartedly rooting for the other possible nominess either. I still think it's a strong year for the actresses. It's just that SaBu gave the best performance of her career, and it couldn't have happened at a better time. She's up against a veteran who has already won, a Brit who hasn't had a good campaign for the Oscar, and a total newcomer who voters might be apprehensive of giving the win to for her first role. With Precious being Gabby's first role, it does hold her back in some ways, as the voters tend to compare the nominated roles to past roles and see how they stack up. With Sandra, they're going to compare meh performance after meh performance and will be shocked about what she has finally delivered, and while it may not be the best out of the nominees, they can still vote for her for just that reason.

Admittedly, I still have to see Julie & Julia and An Education, but I trust everyone who has said that Meryl gave a splendid performance as Julia Child and brought a new dimension to her character. These are the list of movies that I still want to see before award show (just giving myself a personal reminder so that I may actually watch all of these ):

Julie & Julia
    An Education (doubt I can since I don't see any local theaters playing it, unless I want to watch it illegally online--but I don't do that )
    Crazy Heart
    Inglourious Basterds (yeah, I still haven't seen it )
    District 9 (this one too )
    (500) Days of Summer (and this one )
    Moon (probably won't get nommed for anything, but I want to see it anyway)
    Coraline
    The Cove
    A Single Man
    In the Loop
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Fantastic Mr. Fox (I don't really have an interest in seeing it, but if it happens to come along, then I'll see it)

Still a lot to go, and I'll probably only get to a fourth of it. But I'm still going to try! And that's not even all the movies that can potentially be nominated for something but I still haven't seen; I just don't have any slight interest in seeing the others.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 01-27-2010 at 06:31 AM.

FORT Fogey

seriously, it's obvious Best Director and Best Picture is Avatar.
    Monique is a sure bet for best supporting actress

I've not seen it yet, though I really am looking forward to doing so, but I hope that either The Hurt Locker wins best picture, or Kathryn Bigelow wins best director. Why? Because she wrote and directed one of my top three favourite movies of all time, Near Dark, and I feel that she was erroneously slighted by the award-giving community for that, the best vampire film ever made . Oh, yeah, and I image that The Hurt Locker is fantastic as well.

ETA: I just went to IMDB to double check that Kathryn Bigelow did indeed write Near Dark, and spotted a thread regarding a remake, which I just had to read. No. No, no, no. There is talk of a remake by...gak, I can barely spit it out...Michael Bay. I will not, under any circumstances, be seeing that. Freaking Hollywood jumping on the freaking vampire bandwagon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I believe the only 2 locks are in the Supporting actor categories:

Christoph Waltz and Mo'Nique

Unlike you guys I do believe that Sandra Bullock's performance is win worthy. She did what the role required and she did it excellently and she was very believable in that role. I wouldn't be upset if Meryl Streep won for Julia/Julia or Gabourey won for Precious either.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3810065;
    I believe the only 2 locks are in the Supporting actor categories:

Christoph Waltz and Mo'Nique

Unlike you guys I do believe that Sandra Bullock's performance is win worthy. She did what the role required and she did it excellently and she was very believable in that role. I wouldn't be upset if Meryl Streep won for Julia/Julia or Gabourey won for Precious either.
    i am really hoping monique doesn't go "ouhhhhhhh baaaby, we did it"

Have the nominations been announced already?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Thought I missed something there with all these predictions.

Nominations for the 82nd Academy Awards will be announced Tuesday, February 2, 2010, at 5:30 a.m. PST.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread