+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

I already wrote ABC about their failure to include Farrah Fawcett and others in the In Memoriam.
    I checked EW and they didn't even make a mention of it. Sad.
    I much preferred, in the past, when they just showed the deceased's picture, name, etc. Having James Taylor sing was unnecessary, IMO, and actually detracted from this. Also, only those who were actually at the Oscars could see the first few deceased people who were mentioned in the montage. If you were a home viewer, you missed them. Not a good thing.
    Is Adam Shankman the person who produced last night's special?
    I don't know who he is, but I wouldn't rush to sign him up for next year's Oscars.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Locally we couldn't see the first part of the Oscars due to dispute that the local cable company is having with Disney... finally popped up a half hour in or so, but by then I'd stopped checking so missed even more.
    Two little points---
    what was with George Clooney's hair? Way too long in back with that suit, kept getting scruffed up. He usually looks so well groomed. Just read an article about him that said that he never wears make up when he acts, just walks in, gets into costume, brushes his hair for a second and is on. Or at least that was the case in Up in the Air. So he really looks like that!
    I loved that after the Director's award was made as she was walking off stage with Barbra in the background they played, I am Woman! (anthem of the women's movement in the 70's for those too young to know)

And a question... I missed the woman interrupting that people keep referring to--what was that?

Thanks for having this thread for those who couldn't watch!

PWS, George is probably one of the nicest, true gentlemen in Hollywood. He has no airs about him at all.
    In fact, before the show started, he went directly out to the fence where the public stood ( in the off/onn rain ) to get a glimpse of the celebrities. He personally went around greeting the public, whereas the other celebrities all went inside the auditorium.

ETA;

KeepIt Real,
    I didn't know that Dennis Cole had died, too. He was marrried to Jaclyn Smith around the time she was on Charlie's Angels. They made a gorgeous couple. Sorry to see that he passed.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-08-2010 at 06:51 PM.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen Latifah. She looked fantastic. When they announced her name as a presenter I looked at the gal coming out from backstage & thought: "Is this some kind of unfunny joke? That's not her!" Then they showed her close up & sure enough, Queen Latifah. Granted, she's never been un-attractive, but she looked dynamite in that dress & hair.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

the oscar's were okay but kind of blah, everyone they predicted would win did....sometimes i like a big shock lol

I took the day off from school since I've been sick all weekend, and I watched the whole ceremony again on my DVR. I wanted to see who was the presenter for Best Supporting Actress (since we all know Heath Ledger couldn't do it)--it was Robin Williams, btw. But I ended up just watching the whole thing. The second time around, they weren't as boring as I remembered. But still not the best show ever.

Ratings are in, and last night's telecast reached around 41 million.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3850391;
    I loved the inclusion of a horror montage, since it's my favourite genre - but a lot of those movies, including Silence of the Lambs, weren't horror. SOTL I would class as a thriller...it wasn't scary and the violence was no worse than any random action flick that Schwarzneggar/Stallone/Van Damme put out in their heyday. As for the timing - I assumed that the montage was a nod to Roger Corman, who received an honorary Oscar.

Totally with you on Neil Patrick Harris, though - weird and awkward and not even a little funny. I enjoyed Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin - the Paranormal Activity spoof was hilarious - but not particularly memorable performances as hosts. I haven't seen The Blind Side and probably won't, but since I like Sandra Bullock, I was glad to see her win. I haven't seen The Hurt Locker though I definitely will rent it, and was very pleased to see a woman win. (Streisand was practically gloating when she announced it. )
    On IMDb, The Silence of the Lambs is classified as a thriller. It's not quite horror, but they're associated with one another. So yeah, that's why I was wondering why Kristen stated that The Exorcist was the last horror film to be honored by the academy.

While on the subject, I thought Drag Me to Hell had potential to be recognized, with the addition of 5 films to the Best Picture race. I didn't watch it; you will never catch me watching a horror flick. But I read great reviews for it, especially considering that you don't read good reviews for a horror film very often. But nope, it didn't catch that much buzz around it.

Here's a fun little read that breaks down the genres of films and their success with the Oscars: Academy Awards Best Pictures - Genre Biases
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I heard on the news today that Ryan O'Neal was complaining about Farrah being excluded from the tribute.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Yeah, I saw video of that. I read a few minutes ago that Bea Arthur was excluded as well I mean, If you can squeeze in lame/unnecessary theatrics.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I can understand their not having included Bea Arthur.. I don't believe she was a member of the Academy. Farrah Fawcett was a member for over 40 years. If they can include a non-actor like Michael Jackson, they should have made sure they included an icon such as Farrah.

I don't like the Academy's excuse... "well, we can't include everyone." There had to have been some politics involved and I'd be curious to know what they were. There are a great number of people complaining.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3851382;
    I can understand their not having included Bea Arthur.. I don't believe she was a member of the Academy. Farrah Fawcett was a member for over 40 years. If they can include a non-actor like Michael Jackson, they should have made sure they included an icon such as Farrah.

I don't like the Academy's excuse... "well, we can't include everyone." There had to have been some politics involved and I'd be curious to know what they were. There are a great number of people complaining.
    Sure I get that they can't include everyone. And Farrah's 70's films were mostly forgettable. (Anyone seen Sunburn? I still remember the poster with the top of her bathing suit slightly unzipped - but that is probably a discussion for my therapist.)

I think what is insulting is that Michael Jackson was included and Farrah was not. Michael only did one film role to my knowledge (The Wiz) and it is not what he is remembered for. Michael stole Farrah's moment in death back in June, and now he did it again at the Oscars.

+ Reply to Thread