+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: The 82nd Academy Awards - Sunday, March 7, 2010

I don't mind the tributes that are given to the best actor / best actress. It's a big honor for those nominated, so I agree that they should have their moments to bask in the limelight.

Bunny,
    I didn't hear anyone making that "awkward" comment to Matt Broderick regarding the tribute to Mr. Hughes.
    I very much enjoyed the tribute to a man who departed way too early.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3850259;
    I gotta say, I hate the new format they have for presenting the Best actor and Actress awards. It just seems like they take forever with their little individual speeches for the nominees. Ugh!
    Awww... I love them when the people actually take the time to put some creativity into it. Loved Tim Robbins' and Colin Farrell's speeches.

And I loved the opening to Jimmy Kimmel's special show immediately after the local news here. "The Handsome Men's Club"... yum!

Best dress? Anna Kendrick and Matt Damon's wife Lucianna

Best dressed man? Ryan Reynolds

Sandra Bullock's lipstick was far too pink and garish, unfortunately. Otherwise she looked absolutely beautiful. Loved her speech to her mother.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3850271;
    Bunny,
    I didn't hear anyone making that "awkward" comment to Matt Broderick regarding the tribute to Mr. Hughes.
    I very much enjoyed the tribute to a man who departed way too early.
    As did I but it was indeed said, I'm just unsure of who said it.

Bunny,
    I'll check out EW's reporting tomorrow. I'm curious to see if they mention the exclusion of Farrah from the In Memoriam tribute, as well as this regarding Mr. Hughes' tribute.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3850283;
    Bunny,
    I'm curious to see if they mention the exclusion of Farrah from the In Memoriam tribute, .
    They were wrong to exclude her. She was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work in Extremities.

I would say the same, but my dad canceled our EW subscription without my knowledge. I'll have to go buy it in the stands now!

Honestly, this year's show was badly produced. There were so many things I could have done without. This includes...

The introduction of the Best Actor and Best Actress nominees in the very beginning of the show. There was no use for that. All of us already knew who was nominated. And even if you didn't, we were going to find out later on anyway.

Neil Patrick Harris having a musical number. I really liked him as the host for the Emmy's and the Tony's, and I would have picked him to host this year's Oscar telecast. But since he wasn't chosen, why did he have to show up? It just ate up time. Not to mention that his musical number paled in comparison to Hugh Jackman's last year. On a side note, I thought Steve and Alec did pretty well together.

Kate Winslet and Sean Penn announcing the winner for Best Actor and Best Actress, respectively. I liked that they showed the clips of each nominee's work so that the public can get a sense of why they won. And I also liked that each nominee's past co-worker came out to talk (I loved seeing Julianne Moore and Michelle Pfeiffer, two women who I hope can get their time to shine one day). But what I didn't like was an additional person coming out to announce the winner. I know it's a tradition that last year's winner announce the next year's recipient for the other sex's award, but did Kate and Sean have to announce the nominees all over again? They could have just come right out and announce the winner--just like Tom Hanks did when he announced the Best Picture winner.

On another side note, I really hated how Tom made that announcement so anticlimatic, but I think it would have been okay for Kate and Sean to have made it short and snappy.

Having dancers replace singers for Best Original Score nominees instead of Best Original Song ones. It was a good idea on paper. Dancers now get their time to shine, and so does the Best Original Score category. But what ended up happening was a not-so-stellar performance. If it wouldn't have been so long, and if it would have been choreographed better, maybe I would have been fine with the change. But nope, it wasn't so.

The inclusion of a horror movie montage in the show. Again, something really good on paper, since it gave recognition to a genre that is not appreciated by the Academy. But it just ate up time. And personally, I hate horror flicks. I just get too scared. And anyway, you can make the point that if no horror flick has been recognized ever since The Silence of the Lambs, then why should the Oscars--the father of all awards--dedicate a montage of the genre right now?
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 03-08-2010 at 04:05 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Would pay money to see the faces in the control booth when Elinor Burkett leapt on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3850287;
    The inclusion of a horror movie montage in the show. Again, something really good on paper, since it gave recognition to a genre that is not appreciated by the Academy. But it just ate up time. And personally, I hate horror flicks. I just get too scared. And anyway, you can make the point that if no horror flick has been recognized ever since The Silence of the Lambs, then why should the Oscars--the father of all awards--dedicate a montage of the genre right now?
    I loved the inclusion of a horror montage, since it's my favourite genre - but a lot of those movies, including Silence of the Lambs, weren't horror. SOTL I would class as a thriller...it wasn't scary and the violence was no worse than any random action flick that Schwarzneggar/Stallone/Van Damme put out in their heyday. As for the timing - I assumed that the montage was a nod to Roger Corman, who received an honorary Oscar.

Totally with you on Neil Patrick Harris, though - weird and awkward and not even a little funny. I enjoyed Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin - the Paranormal Activity spoof was hilarious - but not particularly memorable performances as hosts. I haven't seen The Blind Side and probably won't, but since I like Sandra Bullock, I was glad to see her win. I haven't seen The Hurt Locker though I definitely will rent it, and was very pleased to see a woman win. (Streisand was practically gloating when she announced it. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

They were wrong to exclude her. She was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work in Extremities
    Farrah was also excellent in The Burning Bed. But they should have included Farrah.

Should certainly have included Farrah- a huge oversight.
    Should have included Bea Arthur- another oversight.
    Should even have included Dennis Cole-even if his movies were less than memorable he made movies nonetheless and at one time did quite well for himself on the small screen. I'm sure it wouldn't have killed them to include him.

They left off some others as well, but sadly thses shows always do. The likes of Farrah and Bea should not have been ommitted, however.

Michael deserved to be there, but by leaving out the others his inclusion will be upsetting to some. In a way, by failing to include the others, his inclusion may come under scrutiny.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

+ Reply to Thread