Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock Holmes

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Sherlock Holmes

Loved Robert Downey, Jr.
    Loved Jude Law.
    Dozed off twice.

Hubby and I rate it a "C."

We really wanted to love it, and went in prepared to do so. We've been to London three times, and are drawn to movies which are set there. This one wasn't even geographically correct, and I found that distracting.

We'll rent it again on Netflix and try seeing if we can follow the plot any better with subtitles. Old folks don't hear well.

Re: Sherlock Holmes

I must admit I was really looking forward t this film. I was to be my Christmas Day treat. Robert Downing has recreated his career after all his stints in rehab and has proved he is a very good actor. Both Robert Downing and Jude Law were excellent as Holmes and Watson. Very much an equal partnership. Both characters have strengths and flaws and they depend on the other person to balance and help them out. Rachel Adams did a brilliant job as Irene.

I was amazed as this movie, the feel, and the sets and over look are brilliant and really make you feel as if you are in late 1890's Victorian England. The movie is fast paced and the action is balanced with dialogue and plot. I didn't realize that Guy Ritchie was the director. I only knew him as the ex-husband of Madonna. I didn't know he could be that creative as the only thing I heard he did while married to Madonna was a video featuring her and it was a big dud. I guess the divorce was good for his creative juices and an indication that Madonna was a very high maintenance spouse.

I was captured by the film for the first hour, then something happened. I know I came to see the 9:50pm show and it was sold out and I had to wait until the 10:50pm show. I know I was overtired from the whole week of digging out 20 inches of snow and having Christmas Eve dinner at my house. But by the 1 hour mark I was shifting in my seat, and started looking at my watch. The kiss of death for a film. I wasn't into it anymore. The film may be overly long at 134 minutes. I truly do think that they need to edit 20 or 30 minutes out of the film. Especially the scenes that you see Sherlock think about what he needs to do and then does it. After the first time it just got a bit repetitive. I would give this film a solid B. It was fun, and showed a fresh approach to character that has been around a long time. It almost begs a sequel, but I honestly don't know if I would sit through one unless the film was shorter than it's predecessor.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

This was a good movie! Although longer than I typically like, it didn't seem long and was very entertaining.

Solid movie, I liked it. The mystery was really hard to follow, and you probably won't get it on your own. I thought Robert was great. I agree that he has proven himself as a great actor.

It was confusing at times. I saw an 11:15 pm showing, so I was a little tired and dozed off for 15 minutes in the beginning. And I also checked my cell a couple of times for the clock.

Because of that, I would give it a B.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

MRD

I went to the 6:30 pm showing and wasn't tired and thought the movie flowed well.

I liked it., NOt the typical Sherlock Holmes. I did feel as if they had Put House and Wilson in as the characters and then added in parts of National Treasure, The League of Extrordinary Gentleman and The Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons.
    But it worked.

Did find out later, that when House was concieved, the creators did base House and Wilson on Holmes and Watson. So kind of felt proud of myself for that catch in this movie.

THought it was entertaining. Holmes purisits will hate it though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I enjoyed it very much. I'm so glad RDJ has made such a personal comeback - what a talent to have wasted if he continued on his awful ways.

*Also saw the preview for Cop Out - can't wait. Looks like Bruce Willis at his best. Yay. Can't wait!
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

i give it a C

the beginning got me interested, then about 3/4 into it i just couldn't stay interested and starting doozing off so i missed a bit at the end...i found it kind of hard to follow

my finance and his friend really liked it though

and i thought the acting was good by Robert and Jude, but i've never been a big rachel mcadams fan

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3781470;
    Did find out later, that when House was concieved, the creators did base House and Wilson on Holmes and Watson. So kind of felt proud of myself for that catch in this movie.
    That is so interesting! I leaned over to Mr. Nerd mid movie, pointed at the screen and said "House... Wilson"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MrCoz loved this movie. I think he'd go see it again tomorrow. I really liked it, although at one point I was starting to think it was too long of a movie and then it turned around and picked back up again. Overall I would recommend it. I hope they do make a sequel as it left it wide open for that.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Went to see it today. I enjoyed it but the Guy Ritchie quick cuts make my stomach queasy. Should be another franchise movie series for RDJ like Iron Man. It will be interesting to see who they cast as Moriarity for the sequel.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast