+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Anyone planning on seeing this? Or are you planning on staying away because of the ad campaigns??

I, for one, cannot wait to see it tomorrow! We're planning on seeing it in the morning while the kids are in school. I'm excited to see a completely original world, regardless of whether it's CGI or not. I've been waiting impatiently these last couple of weeks and just saw a "First Look" on HBO and what James Cameron has done looks incredible. I can't wait to see the final results!

Anyone else planning on seeing it? Or not? Please discuss!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Re: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3771713;
    Anyone planning on seeing this? Or are you planning on staying away because of the ad campaigns??

I, for one, cannot wait to see it tomorrow! We're planning on seeing it in the morning while the kids are in school. I'm excited to see a completely original world, regardless of whether it's CGI or not. I've been waiting impatiently these last couple of weeks and just saw a "First Look" on HBO and what James Cameron has done looks incredible. I can't wait to see the final results!

Anyone else planning on seeing it? Or not? Please discuss!
    I am planning to see it just at an off time with no kids. When do the schools close for Christmas? I was hoping to go maybe this Monday or Tuesday. I am also at the point I want not to see any more trailers I do not want my hopes raised and then dashed by great effects and a crappy storyline.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The enormous marketing has just not drawn me in at all. At this point I have no desire to go see this movie. Maybe that will change if I start hearing great things about the storyline...

Bearcata - I'm not sure about your area, but here kids are released from school after a half-day on Dec 23rd and they are out until Jan 4th.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3771724;
    I am planning to see it just at an off time with no kids. When do the schools close for Christmas? I was hoping to go maybe this Monday or Tuesday. I am also at the point I want not to see any more trailers I do not want my hopes raised and then dashed by great effects and a crappy storyline.
    Not sure where you are but our schools in GA are out a/o this afternoon. So my husband and I seized the opportunity and went and saw the first show this morning. It.was.incredible!!! I don't want to give anything away but the story pulled us in enough to where we weren't even thinking about the "effects" or anything like that.

It truly was unlike anything we'd seen before. [Think how breakthrough Star Wars was in the 70's.] DH remarked afterwards that Cameron knocked another one out of the park and I have to agree with him. Avatar really lived up to all of the hype and then some. We're actually planning on going to see it again tomorrow night...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I just got back from my showing, and I really liked it. Although, I did not think it lived up to all the hype. It was WAY too over-hyped, making it impossible to live up to itself. Visually, yes, it was a treat, but the story didn't really feel all that special or new---just a revamped combination version of past movie plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3774569;
    I just got back from my showing, and I really liked it. Although, I did not think it lived up to all the hype. It was WAY too over-hyped, making it impossible to live up to itself. Visually, yes, it was a treat, but the story didn't really feel all that special or new---just a revamped combination version of past movie plots.
    That's what I am afraid of.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3774569;
    That's exactly how I felt about it. The 3D was impressive and visually it was stunning, but the plot itself was really predictable and nothing I hadn't seen before.

I would be okay if I never heard the theme song by Leonna Lewis again. It sounds like a wanna-be "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion...

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3774840;
    I would be okay if I never heard the theme song by Leonna Lewis again. It sounds like a wanna-be "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion...
    That was another thing that bugged me during the movie. When the theme played, I worried Celine would jump out in 3D. Thankfully, she didn't. But it was so, so similar, Cameron should ask for any money he payed Horner back.

I wasn't really interested in seeing this one. But now it's definitely on my list of movies to see. My Facebook homepage is loaded with statuses praising the movie. Hopefully I'll see the movie in IMAX, since I heard that it was more enjoyable watching it that way.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast