+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3801630;
    I thought he only had the divorce from Linda Hamilton?

I think, in Mr. Cameron's case, it might be his pomposity and arrogance that has aged him.
    All the wives:

Suzy Amis (4 June 2000 - present) 3 children
    Linda Hamilton (26 July 1997 - 1999) (divorced) 1 child
    Kathryn Bigelow (17 August 1989 - 1991) (divorced)
    Gale Anne Hurd (1985 - 1989) (divorced)
    Sharon Williams (14 February 1978 - 1984) (divorced)
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Finally saw Avatar in 2D. I must admit it is beautifully crafted film, the visuals are stunning. I enjoyed it more then I thought it would, having heard the story is kinda weak. I had a bit of fun recognizing, fiddlehead ferns and all the underwater anemone being actual plants on Pandora. I liked the bioluminesce of the natives and the plants, nice touch. The story worked better than I thought it would, I like the little acerbic touches, Cameron makes, such as making pointed remarks how on VA benefits Jake cannot get his spine repaired. (Very pointed remarks how our veterans give their lives for out country but we cannot provide decent health coverage and benefits to them). Also pointed remarks about the economy being bad in 2154 and how later in the film how there were no more green spaces left on planet Earth, and how humans had killed their mother. I know several people have remarked that the story is weak and very cowboyish. It is more corporate greed overtaking basic humanity. I do heartily support the idea of working with nature and trying to find answers to humanities problems through nature and not work against her. The idea of using the electrical links of the trees as a possible supercomputer has been addressed before, but was a nice touch and I wonder if other viewers picked up on it. I do totally disagree with the Vatican as they have come out a bit against the movie afraid that people will become neo pagans worshiping nature and not God. Well, who created nature?? Big duh there. The church feels that we should appreciate nature but that man is above that. Well, that type of attitude has done wonders for our world and civilization. Destroying the earth as we humans have been the last several hunderd years of the industrial revolution shows how much we respect nature. A little neo paganism and nature worship would not hurt the human race and may save our planet and future generations. Yeah, all tree huggers.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well said, Bearcata!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3802148;
    All the wives:

Suzy Amis (4 June 2000 - present) 3 children
    Linda Hamilton (26 July 1997 - 1999) (divorced) 1 child
    Kathryn Bigelow (17 August 1989 - 1991) (divorced)
    Gale Anne Hurd (1985 - 1989) (divorced)
    Sharon Williams (14 February 1978 - 1984) (divorced)
    Yikes. That's quite a few.

I guess that all 3 items have aged him, then.
    Divorce, pomposity and arrogance.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Saw this in 3D on Friday and was blown away by the visuals. I kept trying to swat the little moths away only to remember they were in the movie.

I do think everyone should see this movie but I didn't love it so much that I would want to go to the theater and see it again and again. I am not even that excited to buy the DVD.

Still have not gotten around to seeing it, but know many who have.
    A few of the comments that I got was that there was a lot of violence in it.
    Did anyone else notice that?
    Another comment was that it was difficult, after a while, to watch the 3D.

All said that they felt the special effects were amazing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Yeah there is a huge body count but not tons of actual gore.

Another comment was that it was difficult, after a while, to watch the 3D. My eyes felt a bit strained through out and my hubby had to keep removing the glasses because his eyes stopped seeing the 3dishness (lol) after a while.

All said that they felt the special effects were amazing.Completely agree. I have never seen anything like this movie

Quote Originally Posted by CantinaBandFan;3804216;
    Another comment was that it was difficult, after a while, to watch the 3D. My eyes felt a bit strained through out and my hubby had to keep removing the glasses because his eyes stopped seeing the 3dishness (lol) after a while.
    I found the opposite to be true. At first I got a little queazy and kept taking off my glasses to compare. After 10 or so minutes I was feeling much better.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3802613;
    Finally saw Avatar in 2D. I must admit it is beautifully crafted film, the visuals are stunning. I enjoyed it more then I thought it would, having heard the story is kinda weak. I had a bit of fun recognizing, fiddlehead ferns and all the underwater anemone being actual plants on Pandora. I liked the bioluminesce of the natives and the plants, nice touch. The story worked better than I thought it would, I like the little acerbic touches, Cameron makes, such as making pointed remarks how on VA benefits Jake cannot get his spine repaired. (Very pointed remarks how our veterans give their lives for out country but we cannot provide decent health coverage and benefits to them). Also pointed remarks about the economy being bad in 2154 and how later in the film how there were no more green spaces left on planet Earth, and how humans had killed their mother. I know several people have remarked that the story is weak and very cowboyish. It is more corporate greed overtaking basic humanity. I do heartily support the idea of working with nature and trying to find answers to humanities problems through nature and not work against her. The idea of using the electrical links of the trees as a possible supercomputer has been addressed before, but was a nice touch and I wonder if other viewers picked up on it. I do totally disagree with the Vatican as they have come out a bit against the movie afraid that people will become neo pagans worshiping nature and not God. Well, who created nature?? Big duh there. The church feels that we should appreciate nature but that man is above that. Well, that type of attitude has done wonders for our world and civilization. Destroying the earth as we humans have been the last several hunderd years of the industrial revolution shows how much we respect nature. A little neo paganism and nature worship would not hurt the human race and may save our planet and future generations. Yeah, all tree huggers.
    Bearcata,I think all of the points you made in your post are why I liked the movie so much.

I'll admit it, I cried the first time I saw the movie
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when they started shooting at the big tree. Something so beautiful, so connected to the people and they just blew it up for monetary gain.

Anyway, I read an article about what the vatican said and I had to chuckle--the Pope doesn't like the movie because he doesn't want it to create and promote the religion of pantheism?? I had a good laugh over that as how can you 'create' something that has been in existence for over 2000 years...perhaps some are just rediscovering it. And, as you mentioned, Bearcata, perhaps we could use a little more respect for nature and the movie will get people thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3804207;
    Still have not gotten around to seeing it, but know many who have.
    Did anyone else notice that?It was tame violence, not the gory, in-your-face violence like in Braveheart, Gladiator, or 300.
    Another comment was that it was difficult, after a while, to watch the 3D.
    Did anyone else notice that? No, I didn't think it was difficult at all.

All said that they felt the special effects were amazing. [b] The planet was gorgeous and the Na'vi were amazing. Camerson definitely got his money's worth.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I agree with the PP. Lots of fighting, but not gory. IMO the thing that made the violence "difficult" to watch was the ruthlessness of the situation.

Another comment was that it was difficult, after a while, to watch the 3D. I didn't have any trouble at all with the 3d.

All said that they felt the special effects were amazing.Yes, the special effects were very well done and permeated the entire film.

+ Reply to Thread