+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

I went for the second time today with my Little Sister (her first time) and there were lots of little kids. I was at the 12:30 matinee. Not a peep once it started. I enjoyed it as much the second time around. Great movie.
    Count your blessings!

I finally went to see Avatar over the weekend. I left the kiddos at home. My 9 year old would have been fine with it, but I think the final battle and the tree scene on the big screen might have been a little too much for my younger child. I went to the noon showing on Sunday and the theater was around 1/3 full, so it wasn't too bad.

Overall it was almost exactly what I expected. It looked beautiful and was very very well done. I wasn't completely blown away, but probably only because I expected to be blown away - I hate having really high expectations going into a movie. I really appreciated the CGI job on the Na'vi. I sometimes have a hard time being drawn in by computer generated beings, but I didn't have any issues at all with this one.

I saw it in 3D and this is the second time I have gone to a 3D movie and wished I had chosen to see it without 3D. I had been told to go see it in 3D so I was expecting there to be something special about the 3D in this movie, but it just looked like any other 3D movie to me. There were some cool scenes, but in some respects 3D makes a picture look less sharp to me and I think I would have been even more impressed by the movie visually if I had seen the regular version.

Some co-workers of mine tried to get into the 8pm and 9pm shows on Saturday and they couldn't 'cause both showings were sold out. The show is still going strong 3 weeks after its release. Pretty sure it will be on the big screens at least until the end of January.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-11-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just ran across this on cnn.com....

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.
    A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see Avatar I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.
    Full article...Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

Hmmm. While I certainly enjoyed the movie and the exploitation by the humans definitely struck a nerve, it most certainly has not made me depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3792364;
    Just ran across this on cnn.com....

Full article...Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

Hmmm. While I certainly enjoyed the movie and the exploitation by the humans definitely struck a nerve, it most certainly has not made me depressed.
    I read the full article. How relieved was I to discover that some of the depressed had found support with online forums and are now over their depression. Since the movie has only been playing for 3 weeks it is quite a record.

People just amaze me.

PS: I sent the url of the article to a movie buddy and I loved his response, that with all those suicides there will be fewer drivers on the road and less traffic congestion.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The 11:00 news in LA last night had an interesting side story regarding the intense visuals of the film: there is now a support group for people who become depressed because their own world does not match the planet in the film.

Someone in my writing class wrote up her experience as a viewer of the film and I think she may be one who needs to seek out the group. It was the visual that grabbed her. She said the storyline was familiar and old hat, but the visuals made the film. Now I don't feel sad at having to wait for the DVD. No, I won't have the FULL experience, but I won't lose myself, either.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3793072;
    I read the full article. How relieved was I to discover that some of the depressed had found support with online forums and are now over their depression. Since the movie has only been playing for 3 weeks it is quite a record.

People just amaze me.

PS: I sent the url of the article to a movie buddy and I loved his response, that with all those suicides there will be fewer drivers on the road and less traffic congestion.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Seriously. They are depressed and suicidal because the world of the Na'avi (sp?) is CGI and not real? Methinks they need more help than an online support group can offer.

Fort Member

I am afraid that I was not that blown away with the film. I saw it in 3D and appreicate that visually it was stunning, the story and characters were too simplistic and disappointing. I just kept thinking how brilliant it could have been if the story had been better and the characters more developed. It was too long and I actually got a bit bored along the way. Its just my opinion but I think he spent way too much time on the visually thinking that they would be sufficient enough to keep most people interested that he didnt care to much on the actual story.

Avatar won the Golden Globe awards for best picture and best director.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread