+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

Can you guys give me any info on how this movie is for kids? I have a friend who told me she took a rather young child to this movie and didn't think it was a problem. Even said that the movie was so visually interesting that the child had no problem sitting through it. I looked up the run time and 161 minutes seems way too long for younger children, but I thought I would solicit some opinions from people who have seen it. So my main questions are:

(1) Have you seen younger kids at this movie? How young (if you have any guess)? Were they able to sit through it or did you hear kids getting restless?
    (2) How is the content for kids? I'm generally pretty lenient with my kids and movies and we talk about them afterward, but there are still reasonable limits that need to be observed! (For example, I have no qualms about action movies like Star Wars)

Thanks for any input!!!

I hid my eyes during the final battle scene because I hate violence of any kind, but if they can handle that, I can't think of anything else in the movie that is objectionable. The visuals are just stunning and the plot is easy enough for a young child to handle. It's rated PG 13 for the violence.
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3784861;
    Can you guys give me any info on how this movie is for kids? I have a friend who told me she took a rather young child to this movie and didn't think it was a problem. Even said that the movie was so visually interesting that the child had no problem sitting through it. I looked up the run time and 161 minutes seems way too long for younger children, but I thought I would solicit some opinions from people who have seen it. So my main questions are:

(1) Have you seen younger kids at this movie? How young (if you have any guess)? Were they able to sit through it or did you hear kids getting restless?
    (2) How is the content for kids? I'm generally pretty lenient with my kids and movies and we talk about them afterward, but there are still reasonable limits that need to be observed! (For example, I have no qualms about action movies like Star Wars)

Thanks for any input!!!
    (1) Yes, we saw a couple of younger kids the second time we went and we thought the parents were crazy!

(2) We have a 5 yr old and an almost 7 yr old but held off taking them. We'll get the movie when it comes out on BluRay and we'll give them the same option as when they saw Transformers-- if the movie gets too scary then they can tell us and we'll turn it off. But, for that reason, we wouldn't take them to see it in the theater. I know they'll love the visual effects but I think the story might bother them (humans attacking the N'avi for essentially no reason). Plus, if we watch it at home and my son isn't interested, he can find other things to do. It really is a long movie for younger kids!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I thought about this question when I drove by McDonalds today to see if they are doing the Avatar Happy Meals yet. Why would they do happy meal toys for a movie rated PG13? They haven't started yet - they're still on Alvin toys, but there is a big poster on the front of the store for Avatar.
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3785477;
    I thought about this question when I drove by McDonalds today to see if they are doing the Avatar Happy Meals yet. Why would they do happy meal toys for a movie rated PG13? They haven't started yet - they're still on Alvin toys, but there is a big poster on the front of the store for Avatar.
    My kids got the Avatar happy meals a couple of weeks ago. The toy was Jake Sully as a N'avi and it's got a sensor so that it lights up when you talk. I can't remember what the box had on it but it was different 'facts' about Pandora. Then there was a horse that you could cut out of the box and shine it somewhere and make a holographic image. We didn't bother with that part. Here, they're now on the Alvin toys.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Darn! So I missed them already? I'll have to ask my students if they have any they can steal from their younger siblings.
    Count your blessings!

We have 9 year old girls, and I think we *might* let them watch it at home when it comes out, but the big screen, and the long violent battle scene at the end, and particularly the arrows going into the psycho army guy...well I think it would be a bit much for them. Having said that though, they have seen all three of the "extended version" of The Lord of the Rings and there are some scary parts there, and very violent, and they seemed unshaken. So, we'll see. There were some younger kids there when we went. I didn't see or hear any issues with the show, or the length of it. It's very exciting and visually stunning, so I'm sure they wouldn't get bored.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3784861;

Thanks for any input!!!
    To your first question, we saw younger kids at a relatively late Saturday night showing of the movie, which personally I thought was doubly questionable, though at least they were in their pjs

To your second, we thought that it was not appropriate for our kids (oldest is 9) to see (though sometimes Wii and XBox games that our kids play might be questionable as well). I believe it was sweetpea who suggested that kids might see this at home, which could be a good compromise, depending on what you and your kids are used to. I do feel that the big screen and 3D visual element as well as the corresponding sound effects are very powerful and enhance the violence portrayed.

Thanks for the info everyone!! I think I am going to err on the side of caution and just leave the younger kids home for this one. I'm not sure either of them have ever seen a movie in the theater with a big battle scene so the noise might be a bit overwhelming for them. Beyond that, I just cannot see either of them sitting still for 2 hrs and 40 mins. That is long for ME to sit in a movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3788357;
    Thanks for the info everyone!! I think I am going to err on the side of caution and just leave the younger kids home for this one. I'm not sure either of them have ever seen a movie in the theater with a big battle scene so the noise might be a bit overwhelming for them. Beyond that, I just cannot see either of them sitting still for 2 hrs and 40 mins. That is long for ME to sit in a movie!!
    I have to say, normally I would agree but with Avatar it seemed to fly by.

+ Reply to Thread