+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

See, that's what I was thinking that they would do for a sequel. But I wouldn't like that since
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I liked the human aspect of the movie, how Grace, Jake, and Norm had to fall asleep in that machine in order to take the form of a Na'vi, hence the title "Avatar." They would have to eliminate that, as Jake is pernamently a Na'vi. The only one that would still be able to do this is Norm, but his avatar had been shot (unless his avatar is unaffected). And Grace is dead, so yeah.

Thinking about it, if they do do a sequel, they simply can't call it "Avatar 2", since avatars won't be prominent.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3781978;
    This is from Wikipedia:
    "Other technological innovations include "The Volume", a motion-capture stage six times larger than any previously used, and an improved method of capturing facial expressions, enabling full performance capture. To achieve the latter, actors wore individually-made skull caps fitted with a tiny camera positioned in front of the actors' faces; the information collected about their facial expressions and eyes is then transmitted to computers. According to Cameron, the method allows the filmmakers to transfer about 95% of the actors' performances to their digital counterparts. Besides a real-time virtual world, the team also experimented with a way of allowing the computer-generated characters to interact with real actors on a real, live-action set while shooting live action"
    So computer captured and generated both! Pretty cool. It also said that if Avatar did well, there were two sequels planned.

Also from Wiki:
    "Zoë Saldaña as Neytiri, princess of the Omaticaya, the Na'vi clan central to the story, who is attracted to Jake because of his bravery.[30] The character, like all the Na'vi, was created using performance capture, and is entirely computer generated.[31] Saldaña has also signed on for potential sequels.[19]"
    If you search for HBO First Look Avatar on u tube, they show you exactly how the performance capture is done (specifically at the 5:35 and 8:20 marks). I've seen it a couple of times and the technology Cameron developed still amazes me.

I'd love to see how the story continues so they could definitely lure me back with sequels. Or maybe it's the world of Pandora that would lure me back...regardless, I'd pay to see more!

But, for now, I'm excited to see Sam Worthington coming up as Perseus in Clash of the Titans. They had the preview before Avatar and he looks amazing!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Stop capture has been around for a while, it is the basis for many video games. I hope that Cameron is not trying to claim he developed it like Vice President Gore claimed he invented the internet.

Also HBO has been showing a behind the scenes of the making of Avatar and you can see the actors in the stop capture suits riding horses, doing archery etc... and then they show the scene translated into the movie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3782204;
    Stop capture has been around for a while, it is the basis for many video games. I hope that Cameron is not trying to claim he developed it like Vice President Gore claimed he invented the internet.

Also HBO has been showing a behind the scenes of the making of Avatar and you can see the actors in the stop capture suits riding horses, doing archery etc... and then they show the scene translated into the movie.

In that HBO special, Cameron discusses how he took the technology that had already been developed and advanced it to meet his needs. So, no, he's not saying he created it; he's saying he pushed its boundaries and made it better. I've read that George Lucas and Peter Jackson are now using that same technology.

What I was most impressed with, though, were the cameras that Cameron's team developed where he could see the actors right in front of him in their capture outfits but, through his camera, he could see how they'd appear as the N'avi. I thought that was just spectacular.

In other Avatar news, it's officially passed the 1 BILLION dollar mark --

‘Avatar’ reaches $1 billion worldwide - Movies- msnbc.com
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

And about to go higher - my daughter's going to see it tonight with a gaggle of friends. Almost everyone I know who's seen it has seen it at least twice. I hope to take my Little Sister to see it before it leaves theaters.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3782402;

Meh, unfortunately this does not impress me as much as one would think. The reason this happened so fast is because most people are seeing it in 3D, and are paying the ridiculously high price to do so. So that results in an inflated number.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3782402;
    In that HBO special, Cameron discusses how he took the technology that had already been developed and advanced it to meet his needs. So, no, he's not saying he created it; he's saying he pushed its boundaries and made it better. I've read that George Lucas and Peter Jackson are now using that same technology.

What I was most impressed with, though, were the cameras that Cameron's team developed where he could see the actors right in front of him in their capture outfits but, through his camera, he could see how they'd appear as the N'avi. I thought that was just spectacular.

‘Avatar’ reaches $1 billion worldwide - Movies- msnbc.com
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3782410;
    And about to go higher - my daughter's going to see it tonight with a gaggle of friends. Almost everyone I know who's seen it has seen it at least twice. I hope to take my Little Sister to see it before it leaves theaters.
    You know I don't think it will be leaving the theaters anytime soon. I am pretty sure it will be showing through February. First of all, there is a huge audience that didn't go see it during the holidays cause we didn't want to see it with a whole bunch of kids. Also with the word of mouth this picture is getting it will attract another audience that normally doesn't see sci fi or fantasy films. That and the repeat viewers, this flick will be on the screens for a bit longer. It has only been showing for 2 weeks now. This is one film that has a lot of legs.

I saw it today. I haven't read much about it or seen many of the trailers or buzz, so I went into it not knowing what the story was about, only that it was long and had blue people in it. I really liked it. Sure, the story line was predictable but the characters really drew me in and I enjoyed the special effects immensely, particularly the beauty of Pandora and the colours and lights. No, it isn't Best Picture, but it was well, well worth the $9 I paid to get in. My kids went with Grandma to see Alvin and the Chipmunks while we went to Avatar, and let me tell you, for an adult paying the entrance fee, I know which one I would walk out of feeling I got my $$ worth. I loved the actor who played Jake, btw. They obviously used special effects to make his legs look withered and small, and it was really well done. Now I have to go and google the actress who played Neytiri, just to see if she looks at all like her Avatar.

FORT Fan

A visually gorgeous film no doubt, though for one like me who looks for the greater human message that this and other similar films can convey, it is unfortunately lost in all of the technical glory. A tad bit too long, but then I guess they can justify the 3D ticket price here in NY that way.

+ Reply to Thread