+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Re: Avatar

wow, I only had to pay $10 for IMAX 3D, and I live in the LA area. Of course, i did see the earliest showing, and it was at an AMC Theatres, with one of the screens converted to an IMAX screen(i.e. just made bigger)

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3779514;
    wow, I only had to pay $10 for IMAX 3D, and I live in the LA area. Of course, i did see the earliest showing, and it was at an AMC Theatres, with one of the screens converted to an IMAX screen(i.e. just made bigger)
    Wow - that's cheap, for sure.
    I've found cheaper theaters, but they don't show it in 3D and / or IMAX. The price for the 3D / IMAX was $18.50. I don't know if they show if for any less at matinee time. I also fround a $15.50 theater, but it's 3D only - No IMAX.
    I guess they charge different in different parts of town.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I watched this one a couple of days ago. I liked it, so I would recommend it. I'm a movie fanatic, so I personally would pay $18.50 to see it. But that's just me. If I were you, norealityhere, I would not pay that much. Go to an AM showing or a matinee, like others have been suggesting, as I think you should at least see what people have been talking about.

I love Sigourney Weaver. I'm hoping she'll find more roles in movies after this one. I thought she was great in it, so I'm also hoping she'll get a nod. I can't believe she hasn't won an Oscar yet! She's on my list of People I Am Shocked Have Not Won an Oscar Yet, along with the likes of Julianne Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. It would be a miracle if she won though, since I'm totally expecting Mo'Nique to win. Just imagine these words together: Mo'Nique, Oscar winner. Who would have thunk it!?

Okay, I'm getting a little off-topic. Anyone as obsessed with award shows and movies as I am? I was thinking of making an Oscar-related thread to discuss who and what has been creating a bunch of buzz, but I'm not sure how popular that thread would be.

Anyway, along with Sigourney, I also liked Sam Worthington as the lead. I'm expecting him to become a big Hollywood actor after this movie, like Leo came to be after Titanic. Looking into him, he's actually an Australian actor. He pulled off the fake accent well in the movie. Speaking of Sam, it kind of shocked me how actors who played the Na'vi actually played them. They donned suits and all. I thought it was animated! The graphics were amazing though.

The story wasn't bad. Like I said, I enjoyed it. But one thing that kind of downgraded it for me was the awkwardness at times. Some of the audience members laughed out loud during scenes that weren't even supposed to be funny. I'm expecting Avatar to get a Best Picture nomination, but as for a win? I don't know.

I'd give it a B+... or an A-. Somewhere around there.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3777851;
    I saw a video piece on TMZ about James Cameron being really nasty to someone who asked for his autograph. REALLY nasty. I'm thinking he doesn't need the money I'd spend on a ticket. I don't like it when people are nasty.
    As brilliant as he is, James Cameron is kind of (in)famous for being nasty. He makes amazing movies, but I remember Kate Winslet even saying that she would never work with him unless she got a huge amount of money. And I was watching this little interview with Sam Worthington (Jake Sully) and Zoe Saldana (Neytiri). When they were asked, "What did you learn from working with Cameron," Sam said how to duck.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 01-02-2010 at 05:27 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3781460;

Okay, I'm getting a little off-topic. Anyone as obsessed with award shows and movies as I am? I was thinking of making an Oscar-related thread to discuss who and what has been creating a bunch of buzz, but I'm not sure how popular that thread would be.
    Make it so! Lol

Anyway, I think for sure it will get a Best Picture nod. However, I don't think it will, or should, win. If they want to give BP to a science fiction movie, there are two better ones (in terms of critical reviews and IMO, plot) out there for them to award this year: Star Trek, and District 9(extremely original and well executed I thought). Though I'm positive that Avatar will be getting all the Sound and Special Effects awards for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3781578;
    Make it so! Lol

Anyway, I think for sure it will get a Best Picture nod. However, I don't think it will, or should, win. If they want to give BP to a science fiction movie, there are two better ones (in terms of critical reviews and IMO, plot) out there for them to award this year: Star Trek, and District 9(extremely original and well executed I thought). Though I'm positive that Avatar will be getting all the Sound and Special Effects awards for sure.
    Alrighty then!

I agree with everything you said, except I haven't see District 9 yet.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I thought there was an awards show somewhere already - Non-reality TV thread maybe? I could be mis-remembering. I'm also pretty sure a lot of Avatar was animated. They may have put on suits and makeup to be tracked like the guy who was Gollum in the Rings trilogy, but most of the stuff taking place on the planet was animated. That should be pretty easy to verify. I'll head over to Wiki and see what I find.
    Count your blessings!

Nope, I just checked. I started the thread for last year's Oscars also, but I started that right before the ceremony. I think it would be better to have a thread a couple of months before so that we can discuss what and who can potentially be nominated.

And I watched a short little interview between Zoe and Sam, and she said something like, "People think that everything was animated, but we actually had to act!" When I watched the movie, I thought it was pretty much animated also, but after that interview, it looks like it wasn't competely.

This is from Wikipedia:
    "Other technological innovations include "The Volume", a motion-capture stage six times larger than any previously used, and an improved method of capturing facial expressions, enabling full performance capture. To achieve the latter, actors wore individually-made skull caps fitted with a tiny camera positioned in front of the actors' faces; the information collected about their facial expressions and eyes is then transmitted to computers. According to Cameron, the method allows the filmmakers to transfer about 95% of the actors' performances to their digital counterparts. Besides a real-time virtual world, the team also experimented with a way of allowing the computer-generated characters to interact with real actors on a real, live-action set while shooting live action"
    So computer captured and generated both! Pretty cool. It also said that if Avatar did well, there were two sequels planned.

Also from Wiki:
    "Zoë Saldaña as Neytiri, princess of the Omaticaya, the Na'vi clan central to the story, who is attracted to Jake because of his bravery.[30] The character, like all the Na'vi, was created using performance capture, and is entirely computer generated.[31] Saldaña has also signed on for potential sequels.[19]"
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 01-03-2010 at 05:36 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Cool! I guess James Cameron was right, in that this movie will probably change how movies are made. It's not like every movie will use this method from now on, but it's now a possibility to do this.

As for sequels, I would pass. I mean, I'll probably still watch them, but I wouldn't like to see a sequel be made in the first place. For one thing, there would be no
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sigourney, who was a big part of this movie IMO.
    Unless they do prequels to how people from Earth found Pandora in the first place,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sigourney won't be a big part of them. And I love Sigourney, so yeah.
    Also, I don't know how the story would continue. I thought this movie ended pretty well.

Wiki: "Cameron stated that if Avatar was successful, he hoped to make two sequels to the film.[9] In a 2009 interview, he stated that the story arc he developed is large enough to cover two more films.[46] Cameron also mentioned that the sequel's story arc would begin after the events of the first film and that it would continue to follow the characters Jake and Neytiri.[47]"

Mattel is making action figures and McDonald's is making Happy Meal prizes from Avatar. I want them all.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread